Walking through the site

Guest mattrgee

Hi all,

I was down in Somerset last week and after walking up to Glastonbury Tor I drove over to Pilton to check out the festival site. I had an OS map with me and followed a public footpath that took me to the outskirts of the site, or at least a part I did not recognise. See here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=358462&Y=139892&A=Y&Z=115 The Pyramid stage is the small square to the East I presume.

Any ideas what this area would be used for during the festival?

I didn't venture too far as getting done for trespass wasn't on my to-do-list that day, but I would be interested to know how far into the site you can wander without getting into trouble? The OS map seems to show various tracks running right by the Pyramid stage, are these a public right of way?

Cheers

While people are looking at the map, how should we have got there this year to get near the Pennards?

we always endup at Gate C? basically nearest JP and Pyramid, I just don't see where we could go differently, we just follow the Motorway till we get to the backroads ..where should we go different?

i don't live that far from Glastonbury,and in may 2010 i took a ride on the bike to the site,rode straight in and parked up right under the pyramid stage,lots of stuff being delivered,fencing ect,it was a Sunday and no one stopped me at all,i had a good old walk around, As long as you respect the site and farm by not upsetting the cows !! ect i think its ok to have a look around anytime,best call at farm before though,although to be honest there is not a lot to see apart from Pyramid frame and stone circle,looks like some of the fields have just been ploughed over in the last few weeks. Its all a bit boring outside the festival,one field looks like any other,Stone circle area is proberbly the nicest to go to though.

I didn't venture too far as getting done for trespass wasn't on my to-do-list that day, but I would be interested to know how far into the site you can wander without getting into trouble? The OS map seems to show various tracks running right by the Pyramid stage, are these a public right of way?

• 2 weeks later...

i took the family a few years ago, must have been around easter, we drove upto the farm where the site office is, looked for somebody to ask if it was ok to walk around the site, I didn't want to just go on somebodys private land and it being a working farm i thought it would be polite to ask, so not being able to find anybody i knocked on one of the doors to the farmhouse, one Michael Eavis only answered the door, spent 10 mins chatting to the kids and wife (not glasto goers) telling them all about the festival, then said wander wherever you likee, just close ny gates you go through

Hi all,

I was down in Somerset last week and after walking up to Glastonbury Tor I drove over to Pilton to check out the festival site. I had an OS map with me and followed a public footpath that took me to the outskirts of the site, or at least a part I did not recognise. See here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=358462&Y=139892&A=Y&Z=115 The Pyramid stage is the small square to the East I presume.

Any ideas what this area would be used for during the festival?

Cheers

For anyone trying to find Pennards

If the yellow mark is correct then if they had continued walking they would have ended up here

glasto-19-1000.jpg

at the top of that image - turn left .

thanks to /index.php?showuser=2109">Staberinde a friend of /index.php?showuser=49771">r0cky { and with his editing }

WILLIAMS.jpg

the fields are marked out.

Edited by glasto-worker

Come from Stoke, I had to check google maps.but it says we get the M6 then M5 to j3 and follow road A39 -im sure thats the way we go? we just put the post code in the sat nav and did it that way

so the gate D you endup at isnt near to the JP tent?! maybe the sat nav takes us a slightly diff way but im sure the nearest to us is the JP/Pyramid or it seemed like it to me

Spot on mate - looking at the map it had to be gate A I remember passing the cyclist camping!

Where is it we go wrong then? I entered stoke on trent - BA6 9XE

http://glastonburyfe...ing-here/by-car

• From London: M3 then A303 and A37. (Sat Nav TA11 7DP).

• From the North East: A1 or M1, M25 to M3 (Junction 12), then A303 and A37. (Sat Nav TA11 7DP)

• From the Midlands: Preferably M40 and A34 to A303 and A37. (Sat Nav TA11 7DP)

• From the North West: M6, M5 to A39 (Junction 23) then A361. (Sat Nav BA6 9XE)

• From Wales: M4, M5 to A39 (as above) (Sat Nav BA6 9XE)

• For more local traffic using the A37 North or A361 East (Sat Nav BA4 4LY)

which of those would give me directions to getting to the best gate for pennards? i know its miles away but i never managed it till now so may aswell ask early!

Unless I get a car by then I'll be catching the train - and to be a pain where is it you endup when you get the train/coach service? I got it in 07/08 (camped at pennards) and seem to remember walking past the dance village?

cheers

I think your going right, your heading into the west car parks, you can walk to either entrance I think,as the past two years on the sunday trip back to the car to drop some stuff I've entered via Gate A (then ended up by other stage heading west holts way for food after the epic journey to zey car :P). Apart from that it depends on the stewards and where they park to what gate is nearest.

If it helps Gate D has been nightmare both years, as theirs two bleeding entrances to it and no direct cut through to the more free flowing one if your not in those car parks, (Its ok without much stuff as theirs couple of holes in the hedges :P) but yeah the que goes up a nice long hill with two ques feeding into that and people cutting in through the hedge of the main one. (Bit hard to describe really :P)

would just be nicer to be nearer to Pennards than having one hell of a trek lol, after spending the night in the car park staying up drinking and no sleep..the walk's a killer (i couldn't sleep in the car..I'd only been up since about 5pm that evening - work nights ;/ )

guess ive got plenty of time to sort things out better than normal

I must sort out driving, get myself a driving license and a car! Just never get round to it.don't really need a car normally .got a long time now though to sort it all :)