Other Lives

Guest bennyhana22

I didn't really have any expectation of success, GM! I'm happy seeing them anywhere, but I think there is merit in the argument that they need space for their sound. I just think that their fantastic music wafting over the Garden would be magnificent. I know it's not gonna happen, though...or IS it?! ;)

Optimism - it's a burden, you know.

Ben

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was there in 2009 and without being a grumpy-pants it was a bit rubbish in there! So many able-bodied adults lounging around on the floor (don't let perfect passion read this - she'll start ranting!). I'm sure at one point we 'coerced' the lounging lizards into getting off their backsides so that more than seven people could watch the band! The Tipi size that year actually put me off even trying to see stuff in there - Blitzen Trapper was ridiculous...I actually like to WATCH a band if I'm 'seeing' them live, rather than the equivalent of just standing around in a tent looking at 100's of people's backs at a stand-up live album play through!

So either I'll be delighted at the new incarnation of the Tipi or else will have to camp out there for 5 hours before the set as miss Other Lives I WILL NOT!

Ben

Yeah, I was there in 2009 and without being a grumpy-pants it was a bit rubbish in there! So many able-bodied adults lounging around on the floor (don't let perfect passion read this - she'll start ranting!). I'm sure at one point we 'coerced' the lounging lizards into getting off their backsides so that more than seven people could watch the band! The Tipi size that year actually put me off even trying to see stuff in there - Blitzen Trapper was ridiculous...I actually like to WATCH a band if I'm 'seeing' them live, rather than the equivalent of just standing around in a tent looking at 100's of people's backs at a stand-up live album play through!

So either I'll be delighted at the new incarnation of the Tipi or else will have to camp out there for 5 hours before the set as miss Other Lives I WILL NOT!

Ben

Nice to have somewhere to sit down for a different kind of vibe, I reckon. There are plenty of other places to stand up or leap about. Watching Ben Ottewell in the middle of Sunday morning, lying pretty close to the front of the stage with a pint of cider in hand was one of my highlights of last year. But it will be largely dependent on the act and the time of day, to make the most of the 'chilled out' atmosphere.

and check out their recent Tiny Desk Concert along with a review of their Sasquatch show:

'To begin with, there was an overflowing crowd — and, to my surprise, fellow Oklahoman and Flaming Lips mastermind Wayne Coyne was sitting in the little photo pit I was walking toward. The guy was wearing a big grin, and soon, so was the crowd.' :D

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/18/139645912/other-lives-tiny-desk-concert?sc=nl&cc=asc-20110824

It's fantastic, Risteardo, though I am still uncertain as to whether I like it more than their truly beautiful S/T debut LP...seek that out if you can. They'll have played quite a few European/UK festivals by EOTR, so should be warmed up nicely for a truly brilliant set!

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Wish they had been on the Garden Stage with an hour long set, but then you know I would say that!!

I hadn't listened to the album before EoTR, and it is superb on vinyl...and such a nice bunch of people. Really want to see them when they return to the Uk but the dates/venues don't work for me. What's your verdict RL???

i don't want to claim i was brow beaten into liking them :) but i was surprised how well the sound worked on a smallish stage. nice to see them close up and be impressed by playing skills, plus to see jesse close up - you can tell he is an artist with depth (also, tbh i was a bit overawed finding you +P, seadragon and BH first time up....)

if they make it over the next twelve months, i think a roundhouse gig would be superb for them, def their kind of space. and i'd drag mrs rl along too.

I think I was overawed by the whole day. We had them on our list before BH started his campaign, and then got caught up with his enthusiasm. They are classic Americana. Ah a Roundhouse gig where we could all meet up again would be nice!

Edited by perfectpassion

I really enjoyed them. Had listened to both albums in advance and was suitably impressed. Like RL, I was really taken aback with how well their sound filled the Tipi Tent.

My memory may be betraying me, but did they throw in a Leonard Cohen cover as well?

Edited by Nigey_boy

I am glad that you are enjoying the album. Even if you didn't see them. To be honest the Tipi is not the best place and they didn't have a long enough slot. But it is one of the main joys of EoTR to discover a few bands that I would possibly not have heard of or seen otherwise. These guys have been crafting their sound for some time in Oklahoma and now seem to be touring again over here, hope that more people will get to see them.

There were three cameras filming them in the Tipi, I am assuming that was Rockfeedback and that they will be on their late night C4 show on monday (or the one after)....I got that wrong its on FRIDAY

Edited by perfectpassion

Loving all the Other Lives love :)

I'm glad they're touring again here soon, although I wish they weren't playing SBE in London...I hate that place, sound is always so awful. I was disappointed that they didn't have time to play anything off their first album. I love Tamer Animals, but the first album still has the edge for me. I wanted to hear Black Tables at least and Paper Cities.