PHOENIX FESTIVAL 2012!

Guest luckysalt

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im to young to remember phoenix festival before so i dont know to much about it, thinking of giving it a try next year depending on which direction they take the line up in , if its like previouse years il be giving it a go... just asking is it a four day festival (iv notice people predicting Thursdays) or is there one or two acts on Thursday night?

If it was in late June, wouldn't that make it clash with IOW? It would make more sense, surely, to hold the festival in July, around the date of Benicassim, in order to take advantage of the opportunity to book bands for both events.

Unless Vince picks the Winter it will always clash with something.

If he repeats what he did in the past he signs up acts that can do dates spread all over the summer as it was ' most ' of the same acts that played Finsbury Park - The Phoenix and Reading .

Looking at that 96 line up, Bestival takes that kinda place on the festival season in terms of bands n variation of line up. The scene seems to be moving away from 'Major' festivals to the more low key, indie DIY festivals. The independent festivals, in my opinion can provide superior weekend, at a fraction of the cost or effort. worked the festival circuit this year n out of 9 festivals, Shambala and Fieldview were clear winners.

Having said that, if i could find a way to work it i would definitely go if they could pull of a line up like that, just not a massive fan of vince n the mean fiddler fests

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm August, surprised at that date, Im guessing it will be the first weekend or second weekend. Gunna tred on the toes of V and Reading.

Think V is gunna go more and more pop with the re-emergence of Phoenix, it just won't be able to compete and why should it, its attracting a different sort of crowd these days.

Im not surprised about Kasabian, the only fest they haven't headlined recently is Reading and if they don't want them where do they go? That being said Kasabian isn't the sort of act I was hoping for to be booked, a bit too mainstream. I know they have to shift tickets, but I was hoping more along the lines of Pixies, Massive Attack, Bjork, The Cure, Radiohead, Portishead etc,

August is a big enough break from Download for me though, so could do Download and Phoenix if money and the mrs is permitting.

Im not surprised about Kasabian, the only fest they haven't headlined recently is Reading and if they don't want them where do they go? That being said Kasabian isn't the sort of act I was hoping for to be booked, a bit too mainstream. I know they have to shift tickets, but I was hoping more along the lines of Pixies, Massive Attack, Bjork, The Cure, Radiohead, Portishead etc,

Wheres the Stone Roses rumour gone? Replaced with Glasto 2014

it was never put in the line-ups for Phoenix - the way our systems are set-up we first need to list the festival before we can add bands to it.

But we can't list a festival without knowing the dates or at least being able to make a decent stab at when a fest will be and then marking it as TBC .... but there's currently just too little info about Phoenix to make any guess at the dates, so we can't list it.

wish they'd announce the sodding date at least...if they wait til the new year I'll have no chance of getting the time off work...I might take a stab at the weekends of the 11/12th Aug and 4th & 5th Aug. V and Reading knock out the 18/19th & 24/25th.

2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th would be good. Got Kendal the weekend before so would be a week to remember!

If this fest can get bands like Radiohead, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Flaming Lips, Pixies, Faith No More, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Pet Shop Boys, Bjork etc. I will hav to go. Seem the sort of bands that fit the festival and there are loads of bands in that sort of vibe I haven't seen live yet (for example I've only seen 4 out of the ones I listed).

I imagine the first weekend would put it too close to Global Gathering which uses the same site and is the last weekend in July. People leaving on the Monday and arriving again on the Thursday isn't impossible, but it would be risking it with the ground quality if it rained, and those Global Gatherers leave a fair bit of mess behind. They would probably save ££ on stages and toilets though.

My bet, with Benacassim being a Vince thing, would be 12-15th July then he'll find it easier to get the headliners.

sorry but I think your friends are mixing up days

The Prodigy played on Friday 19th of July

http://www.nme.com/n.../id/LvZT8nhkCOE

the reported cars being dumped was for the first day Thursday 18th of July and most reports at the time had fans saying they had missed Bowie { who played the first night } due to the slow parking procedures.

This was due to it selling out for the first time as there was no Glastonbury that year.

Now I did not see the queues because I drove there on the Wednesday but certainly the security supervisors who I knew did say there was long queues on the Thursday but they had opened up extra lanes when they realised there was a big queue so I think access was easier on the Friday.

they may have read about the queues but ask them - did they drive there on the Friday ?