what did you discover this year....?

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered getting drunk on the Sunday night and telling everyone around me that I was Jay Z and Beyonce had cancelled and was being replaced by me playing the spoons was a bit funny!

I discovered that if I dance like a lunatic to Bellowhead then dance like a loon to Pendulum then go for a massive walk all round the site at dusk and then carry a huge rucksack 2 miles back to the car I'll be in a huge amount of pain by Monday afternoon. Ouch...

Oooo I just remembered something! I learned from the crafts area in the Greenfields how much I could potentially save by changing all the lightbulbs in my house to LEDs! Amazing that the tree near the stone circle was completely lit up with just 240W. Now googling for GU10 replacements! In fact on that note, I don't suppose anyone knows if the group who were running the LED workshops have a website?

Edited by ministe2003

Oooo I just remembered something! I learned from the crafts area in the Greenfields how much I could potentially save by changing all the lightbulbs in my house to LEDs! Amazing that the tree near the stone circle was completely lit up with just 240W. Now googling for GU10 replacements! In fact on that note, I don't suppose anyone knows if the group who were running the LED workshops have a website?

I discovered to my sadness that Glastonbury rain can actually break people - I have NEVER been broken and gone to bed at the G because of inclement weather in 12 attendances but the Mizzle we endured on Friday caused me to be in a frame of mind that meant that the trip to SL got cancelled and I was tucked up by 3am :(

BUT this also resulted in THE best discovery I have EVER discovered at the G.

It took until nearly 7pm on Sunday for me to make it to The Common, I was in the area following a delayed Green Fields Bimble and though I'd best check it out in daylight. Walked into The Bullring, studied the posters and noticed one saying 'Tomatina' Sunday 7pm. Checked me watch...it was 6.58pm!

What then ensued was just so utterly utterly brilliant. The crowd started to breeze in and build, the compere was giving us the health and safety warning from behind speaker wrapped in plastic, people started to put on ponchos, others stripped down to bikinis and thongs and then...

20+ boxes of tomatoes came out and the crowd descended as those tomatoes then began to fly around the arena and Glastonbury engaged in its first ever Spanish Tomatina to the musical accompaniment of 'Killing in the Name of' followed by 'We are the Champions' once there was nothing left but a sea of squish and pips on the floor and the crowd.

TRULY THE BEST EVER MOST RANDOM THING AT THE G!!! Everyone afterwards was thanking the Eavis' for creating this inspired venue and all saying it totally made up for losing Friday night. :D:D:D

That Coldplay are very good live.

That I know the words to a lot of U2 songs somehow.

That Hobo Jones and the Junkyard Dogs can do big venues (great set fellas and due to seeing their 'secret' gig at the Bimble I was able to see the last half of Pulp which was nice).

That two naked men with frying pans can make you cry with laughter.

That Uni-Cycling stuntmen make me smile.

That missing all the closing headliners and sipping a pint at the Bourbon listening to some great live bands was a perfect way to end my festival.

Not to look forward to any one act too much - sorry Paul Simon I know you tried your best and I am grateful but I was hoping for an epic.

That I am sort of glad that we have a fallow year next year - this feeling will be gone in a month.

My discoveries:

Gentleman's Dub Club in Arcadia on Sunday night - epic!

Jah Wobble is a lovely lovely man as well as a great performer

Standing getting piss wet through for a full shift while working as a ramp steward on West Holts wasn't quite as bad as I feared, shame I couldn't see Chase and Status from front stage though..

Wading through mud mixed with cowshit at Glastonbury is much better than treading mud mixed with catshit from teh garden through the house after hanging out the Glasto washing...

Roll on 2013!