Glasto alternatives next year?

Guest SamIrvs

Inspired by another topic on what other festivals have that Glastonbury doesn't. Given that there is no Glasto next year, what festival would you recommend as an alternative?

I was thinking possibly Rockness, although Hertfordshire to Loch Ness is a long way, so want to look at other options - IoW, Bestival, Benncassim maybe...?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm organising a festival next year in the village I live in as a fund raiser for our pavillion, it's going to be called Horrastock, cos the village I called Horrabridge. Just a small one for about 500 people for one day with local bands. Bit nervous about it actually.

Think our group are Benicassim bound next year. A festival with 0% chance of mud will make a nice change. Shorts, flip flops, T shirts and a light cardigan for the night time, that's what a packing list should look like.

Have ben following their festival for a couple years now and they seem to get a cracking lineup.

Beni's brilliant if you like the idea of a sun holiday at the same time but it's not a great "festival" atmos as it's situated on a giant car park next to a main road! Camping's horrible in the heat but they have communal cold showers which I found I spent a lot of my time in cos I get too hot! The stages are well organised though. You get the programme and think that it's littered with clashes but because they stagger the start times everything works out ok. They don't have traditional headline slots though (more like peak times) and the bands finish at 4am - when I went the Strokes "headlined" but Morning Runner played after them which was a bit odd. The beach party on the Monday is amazing though. Queens of Noize played whilst we were dancing in the waves. Brilliant!

Isle of Wight's not bad but from what I remember, the campsite's quite a walk from the arena. They might have changed it now though (haven't been since 2002). There's also the ferry to take into account which bunks up the cost and the journey time. Bestival's probably the closest to Glasto atmos-wise but the headliners tend to be smaller or more alternative than at G. I'm thinking about Rock Ness as it looks beautiful and they have a perfect balance of biggish bands and lesser known indie/alt stuff - and they always have a load of Scottish bands which I'm a big fan of (eg Twilight Sad, Frightened Rabbit et al).

Think our group are Benicassim bound next year. A festival with 0% chance of mud will make a nice change. Shorts, flip flops, T shirts and a light cardigan for the night time, that's what a packing list should look like.

Have ben following their festival for a couple years now and they seem to get a cracking lineup.

Hasn't Benicassim been and gone a bit? It seems to me that there are tons of European festivals that are half the price and won't be overrun with English people. Or am I being unkind?

I'm doing Super Bock Super Rock in Portugal which is on the same weekend as Beni in a few weeks time (it's 80 euros and the headliners are The Strokes, Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys) and next year am tempted to take on Optimus Alive (if the line up's not as rubbish as it is this year).

Bestival and/or Secret Garden Party for me next year. They appeal to me most to be honest, apart from Burning Man - and the budget doesn't stretch that far!

And of course, Newt Beer Festival. Awesome place. No big names, decent tribute acts and fantastic local beers and cider from Somerset.

It's all about Sziget for me.

Guaranteed good weather.

Lasts for a week.

Is in Budapest.

Is quite cheap.

Has quite a Glastonbury-'vibe' to it.

Good acts.

From this year's line-up:

Pulp

Chemical Brothers

Gogol Bordello

Manics

The National

RotFront

Crystal Castles

2ManyDJs

Motorhead

Prodigy

Interpol

Flogging Molly

Plus loads of eastern European goodness.

Anyone been to Werchter Festival?

http://www.rockwerchter.be/en/lineup/index.aspx

Strong lineup this year includes

Chemical Bros

Kings Of Leon

Arctic Monkeys

QOTSA

Linkin Park

White Lies

Coldplay

Kasabian

Kaier Chiefs

Underwold

My Chemical Romance

Fleet Foxes

Two Door Cinema CLub

Jimmy Eat World

Beady Eye

Warpaint

Hurts

and many more.

Anyone been to Werchter Festival?

http://www.rockwerchter.be/en/lineup/index.aspx

Strong lineup this year includes

Chemical Bros

Kings Of Leon

Arctic Monkeys

QOTSA

Linkin Park

White Lies

Coldplay

Kasabian

Kaier Chiefs

Underwold

My Chemical Romance

Fleet Foxes

Two Door Cinema CLub

Jimmy Eat World

Beady Eye

Warpaint

Hurts

and many more.

I can see Bestival selling out next year, if the Glasto-going public at large gets wind that it's the next-best thing. Hope it's not diluted by that -- one of the strengths of Bestival (when I went in 08) is that it attracted people who were up for making the effort. Fancy dress day was a triumph.

I've always fancied Green Man, but none of my festi-mates are folk-oriented enough to come with me.

Truck, perhaps...