Bins

Guest KingOfSnake

Just been looking at some of my photos from last year, when I noticed the only thing that bugs me about my favourite place on the planet..

Bins.

Full up. Overflowing. Surrounded by half an acre of what peeps would have put in the bins, had they not been full up.

I know the logistics and practicalities of emptying the bins must be a nightmare, but surely there's something that can be done. It looks so bloody awful.

Are all the bins emptied overnight? so that theyre at least empty each morning?

I'm sure I remember going for an early p1ss and grumbling about the mess around the bins.

whilst i agree, they do look bad, i'd personally first worry about the amount of people who don't use the bins, and couldn't give a s#it where the bins are, or how full they are, before i'd start worrying about the bins themselves overflowing.

They empty them in the mornings (and on a rolling basis through the day as well, I believe, but don't quote me). Last year they didn't empty the strummerville bins on one of the days and a friend who works as a steward made some fuss to get that sorted.

I'm pretty sure that someone who posts here will have experience working on the bins and be able to clarify, but I *think* that they try and empty all the bins at least once a day.

This year I've signed up to be a member of the recycling crew, which should help you out with this problem. Now, I've never done this before, but the impression I get is that there are three or four shift patterns - early morning, afternoon, evening & possibly night time, in which people like me work in their designated area at tidying the bins out and attempt to shift the mess you have described.

I actually took a roll of binbags to another festival, obviously much smaller compared to that of Glastonbury, and helped tidy up some of the mess that had accumulated - despite it not being my job. You could always do that or volunteer to help tidy ;) - I imagine the logistics are a nightmare - but I also bet people will work bloody hard to keep it tidy.

whilst i agree, they do look bad, i'd personally first worry about the amount of people who don't use the bins, and couldn't give a s#it where the bins are, or how full they are, before i'd start worrying about the bins themselves overflowing.

Should go to Ultra Festival in Miami, There was no bins, not a single one I was walking around on empty bottles and other bits of rubbish, I was shocked and couldn't beleive my eyes.

yes we may not have the sunshine but we make up for it in being organised

Just playing devil's advocate here (as i hate to see the litter everywhere) but surely a load of litter around a bin is just as bad as leaving them in a pile somewhere else in the field. (not that i do this). It seems a real shame that so much goes into the paining of the bins, but there are not enough collections to keep them usable.

Yeah sorry but this is clearly bollocks. if a bin is full then it's obviously massively preferable that stuff is left in the immediate vicinity than scattered over a wide area, hardly rocket science to see how that's better.

oooh, litter. My favourite topic.

There is no reason not to use bins - even if its that vile one which is always overflowing by Pieminister - at least make the effort to add to the overflow rather than lazily leaving it where you sit. I hope that they empty bins more often as it is pretty vile. The day they sort out a reusable 'glass' system a la Latitude etc, I'll be a happy bunny.

Still, its good to know that everybody on these boards will be leaving litter free campsites when they leave after the festival. :):)

PS - feckin balloon canisters. Bin those feckers too. :angry:

oooh, litter. My favourite topic.

There is no reason not to use bins - even if its that vile one which is always overflowing by Pieminister - at least make the effort to add to the overflow rather than lazily leaving it where you sit. I hope that they empty bins more often as it is pretty vile. The day they sort out a reusable 'glass' system a la Latitude etc, I'll be a happy bunny.

Still, its good to know that everybody on these boards will be leaving litter free campsites when they leave after the festival. :):)

PS - feckin balloon canisters. Bin those feckers too. :angry:

The thing that I think is a real shame is that when the bins get full to overflowing people ignore what "type" of bin it is i.e. whether it's for recycling or for other waste.

It always concerns me that this impacts on the amount of recycling that's possible if it's all been mixed in together.

Not possible at Glasto due to the logistics trying to store and shift all the dirty/clean cups and there are vehicle restrictions during the day so the bars only have small windows to deliver goods.