What 's happened to the music?

Guest adorableade

Line ups are always subjective, we are really pleased with this year, particularly the Waterboys, which I think is something of a coup, and loads of other stuff we are looking forward to, 3DM on the main stage, Kissmet, Transglobal, etc. If you have enjoyed the last 4, then I am sure you will enjoy this year. And the weather looks like it will be kind to us again...

Line ups are always subjective, we are really pleased with this year, particularly the Waterboys, which I think is something of a coup, and loads of other stuff we are looking forward to, 3DM on the main stage, Kissmet, Transglobal, etc. If you have enjoyed the last 4, then I am sure you will enjoy this year. And the weather looks like it will be kind to us again...

We've always managed to find something decent to listen to, and I'm really looking forward to the Charlatans this year.

The beer tent stage has produced some excellent music in previous years, better than some of the 'more establised' main stage acts.

Edited by shugie

I do for the first 2! Not what you'd call headline acts. Here's hoping the comedy and beer tent stage will be good cause we won't be at the main stage. Hop Farm has a much better line up. I used to like the world music scene at Wychwood but this seems to have been diluted and we have lost that feel in favour of second class 80's revival.

Edited by Banana Co

Interesting debate, and just goes to show how subjective it is. I suspect that the budget for booking bands this year and last is very similar.

Last year I anticipated enjoying (comments in brackets):

- Levellers (not as good as usual)

- Seth Lakeman (excellent)

- Dreadzone (disappointing)

- Leisure Society (excellent)

- Bad Shepherds (great)

- The Traveling Band (can't remember, but I am sure they were great)

I was non plussed by the bookings of:

- Happy Mondays (better than expected)

- Lightning Seeds (really good)

- The South (definitely better than expected, but I expected them to be a bit rubbish tbh!)

- Pauline Black (don't think I watched)

Total new discovery of the weekend:

- Goldheart Assembly, who were really great

This year I am really looking forward to a similar number of bands, slightly bemused by some choices, and will no doubt discover something new.

Hop Farm is a totally different kind of event, so I don't think the comparison is valid really. I think we will have to wait a long time for Wychwood to get Prince and The Eagles, I suspect either would blow the whole Wychwood bookings budget.

Should really be working :) See you in Cheltenham!!!

To be honest I think the headliners this year are pretty good. I've seen the Charlatans, Transglobal Underground and the Waterboys all play live in the last month and I don't think any Wychwood regulars are going to be disappointed. I've thought in the past that the likes of the Lightning Seeds / Beautiful South etc were just too bland for Wychwood and at least this year it's livelier. The thing that is missing for me this year is someone of the stature of Amadou & Mariam, Orchestra Baobab, Toumani Diabate etc who all put in astonishing performances at Wychwood. Jali Fily Cissokho will be pleasant enough but he's played Wychwood twice already and to be fair he hasn't got that 'wow' world music factor.

To be honest I think the headliners this year are pretty good. I've seen the Charlatans, Transglobal Underground and the Waterboys all play live in the last month and I don't think any Wychwood regulars are going to be disappointed. I've thought in the past that the likes of the Lightning Seeds / Beautiful South etc were just too bland for Wychwood and at least this year it's livelier. The thing that is missing for me this year is someone of the stature of Amadou & Mariam, Orchestra Baobab, Toumani Diabate etc who all put in astonishing performances at Wychwood. Jali Fily Cissokho will be pleasant enough but he's played Wychwood twice already and to be fair he hasn't got that 'wow' world music factor.

I think it's true. Line-ups are always subjective. I've been to many festivals where the lineup looked strong, only to come away non-plussed. Other times I've been to a festival knowing hardly anyone and discovered some of my favourite acts (The Dirty Three being a particular highlight for that at Phoenix festival).

This is the first year I'll be at Wychwood, and the first year I'll be playing too (I don't take the "awful lineup" personally :) )

So, as I'm a big believer in challenges and giving people something different, to try and give everyone something special for their money, at 8:30 on the Big Top Stage on Friday I'll be putting the largest line-up I can muster, without bringing the full orchestra along. So, you can expect to see:

violins

violas

cellos

trumpets

flugelhorns

flutes

clarinets

glockenspiels

pianos

guitars

basses

drums

cajons

and maybe some singing too..

I'm gonna try and fit between 10 and 20 people on the stage, ending in a drunken singalong. That's the plan. If I fail, at least you'll witness something a bit different.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Well, assuming that makes you Shaun Buswell I'm actually really looking forward to your set having listened to some of your stuff online.

I'm also looking forward to Revere and The Arcadian Kicks on before you - I think the Friday in the Big Top could be superb.

Yes indeed. I personally am really pleased with the line-surrounding me on Friday. It's a peach. Revere are awesome and won't disappoint. They worked a lot with Gabby Young so anyone into her stuff should check them out here.

Guess the best place to hear some of the new stuff for Buswell is at www.buswellmusic.com. Hopefully see a few of you guys down there! Shout out Skabadageous and I'll know you're from here. :)