Glasto Etiquitte

Guest loverlea

I haven't read the whole thread, but my contribution would be to remember the difference between "excuse me" and "Sorry" when moving through a crowd,

"Excuse me" is there to ask someone to move a little so you can pass, "Sorry" mean Whoops I slipped and bumped into you by accident, or stood on your toes as I squeezed past etc....

"Sorry" DOESN'T mean, I am going to barge my way through you and say sorry as I am doing it to make it all OK.

Some bad big gig/festival moments last year got me wound up and made me feel like a grumpy old man!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If then trying to 'block' the person that wants to get past you, you're just causing more problems for not only yourself, but the people around you and certainly being more of an arse than the person you're getting annoyed at!

- Try not to be a tap/sink hog.

- If you do have to tie a group of tents together, try to leave a walk way round the outside.

- Dont burn plastic.

- Try not to litter.

Try and give something back to the festival, last year i saw 3 people trip over a hole where a post had been removed from the ground. Took me all of 2 mins to move a bin to cover it. I may have saved someone a hospital trip and a ruined festival. All part of looking out for eachother.

Last year had the unforunate experiance of a guy near me in Row Mead who shouted "Dave" all Wednesday night from about 2am til 7am. Have fun - but be respectful to those around you. Spent my Thursday with a slamming headache after next to no sleep!

It's not really the festival etiquitte but if it's not raining or blowing a gale you don't need to out the guy ropes out on your tent they'll serve no purpose other than to trip up drunks in the middle of the night who are trying to get to bed to sleep it off. Rather than saving your tent you may just even up having someone fall on it and break it maybe even when you're in it kipping.

<Etiquette>

Who said you can do anything you like?

The theme here seems to be, be considerate of other people (I keep wanting to type "Be Excellent To Each Other").

Sitting in a big camp chair in a dense crowd, is not considerate of others -- you're just an obstacle. Sitting in a row of big camp chairs is especially not considerate.

The problem is, it's appropriate to have chairs a certain distance from the stage -- and distance gets further as the day progresses and the crowds get denser.

I don't carry chairs around, but some people get tired and want to sit down for a while. I've never had a problem with someone sitting on a chair... anywhere.

Lots of people sit on the grass, even quite near the front. A chair doesn't take up any more space than someone sitting on the ground.

Guy ropes don't only stop your tent blowing away, they also prevent the inner tent and outer tent touching - therefore helping to prevent a leaking tent in those almost inevitable Glastonbury downpours! You might get lucky, but personally I wouldn't advise anyone not to use guy ropes. Just keep them as short as possible and they shouldn't be an obstruction. :)

The big folding armchairs take quite a lot more room.

I'm thinking fairly specifically about a row of chairs here:

|       PYRAMID       |

|---------------------|

\                     /

\---- barrier ------/

C

H

A

I

R

S 

... close enough together that you can't get between them. It's walk around the whole line, or don't get through. If the same people were sat on the floor, or on 3 legged stools, you'd apologise as you stepped among them.

Having said all that, it feels very petty to be complaining about it now.

I don't carry chairs around, but some people get tired and want to sit down for a while. I've never had a problem with someone sitting on a chair... anywhere.

Lots of people sit on the grass, even quite near the front. A chair doesn't take up any more space than someone sitting on the ground.

Hard to achieve. I have a friend who has difficulty walking and certainly can't stand up for any great length of time. If she were to go to Glastonbury she would need a seat. It wouldn't be a case of that's me sorted. If she had such a seat and, intentionally or not, imposed up on others as would seem certain by some of the posts here, she would be excluded from sitting by your definition. It hardly seems fair to discriminate against her and others like her. There will be a large number of people who fall into this category from the 150K or whatever it is paying guests at Glasto.

I suppose I'm trying to say that not everyone sitting down will be a selfish knob. There may even be some who are just oblivious to the fact that they are presenting a problem to others.

On chairs, I'm a chair carrier as I need to sit from time to time since a disc collapsed in my spine. I've never had any problem sitting on a chair as I tend to sit at the back of crowds. I've also never knowingly blocked anyone's view and have never encountered issues with chairs. It's a case of be sensible and live and let live.

On guy ropes, who is more inconsiderate, the people who get so pissed that they stumble through and into tents at night or the people who puts up guy ropes to stop their tents blowing away? The sensible approach is to attach tape or something like carrier bags to your guy ropes to maker them more visible and for people returning through tents at night to wear headlights so they can see where they are walking.

The official language of Glastonbury is Welsh. You won't get served at any bar if not ordering in Welsh and security regularly deploy undercover inspectors in the crowds to listen to people talking. If you're not speaking Welsh you will be ejected.

Oh dear, do people not remember what it's like when it rains and is muddy? if you don't have a chair you don't get to sit for the whole day and night or whatever unless you want to sit in mud. Chairs are not bad, a nesseity even sometimes I'd say.

But yes rows of chairs where it's crowded is baaaad, shame on those people.