Glasto Etiquitte

Guest loverlea

I was just wondering if those of you who have been to glasto numerous times could share some hints and tips on etiquette. This year is going to be my first time and I am unsure on a few things

Is it ok to sit down on the grass for example when watching bands or should I be stood the whole time? Do you queue for bars or is it a free for all like normal pubs ?(push your way to front and get served kinda thing :) )

And any other kind of hints and tips you may want to share

P.s no jokes re the getting the monrail been hanging around a while now :blink:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the etiquette is quite simple really

1) Respect each other, wear a smile not a frown, and be prepared to talk to anyone

2) Respect the environment, pick up your litter, don't piss in the hedges, streams or anywhere else except the loos

3) Have the time of your life

I was just wondering if those of you who have been to glasto numerous times could share some hints and tips on etiquette. This year is going to be my first time and I am unsure on a few things

Is it ok to sit down on the grass for example when watching bands or should I be stood the whole time? Do you queue for bars or is it a free for all like normal pubs ?(push your way to front and get served kinda thing :) )

P.s no jokes re the getting the monrail been hanging around a while now :blink:

Edited by MEGABOWL

Do NOT try to cut across the dance field camping as a short cut from the other stage field to the dance area ( whatever it's called now) because the paths look like a crazy bottle neck. The residents get really pissed off at all the people off thier nut trying to do this and falling on thier tents. I have done this about 3 times following the lights and it's always a nightmare.

Also if you suddenly need to stop when yr on a really crowded pathway and have a chat or whatever try to move to the side. ( I've done this too)

OK, assuming it was a serious question (the reference to the Monorail led me to assume that someone was looking for a new line of humour)the answer is simple - don't judge people or make assumptions.

Treat everyone and the place with respect.

Share and offer to help your neighbours. You can make great friends just by offering a drink or even assistance to put up a tent.

Smile and say hello. Glasto is one place where you can start conversations with total strangers.

Don't rush and don't push.

Think before you act - for example try not to block the view of others (easier said than done when it's rammed but in the less crowded areas look behind you). If someone is sitting - either on the ground or in a chair - think whether by moving a few feet to the left or right you can leave them with a clear view.

I often come away from Glasto thinking if everyone behaved with such consideration in the 'real world' it would be a much nicer place.

Just be lovely to everyone, and they'll be lovely back

Have a BROAD sense of humour, some things you'll see and hear will be waaaaaayyyy out of the ordinary

Relax, and have the time of your life

Respect the farm :))

Oh, and DON'T SIT ON YOUR BLOODY CHAIR AT THE FRONT OF THE CROWD

Edited by ggoon

Erm, not if you haven't been before. If it's not a pisstake, thank god some people are considerate enough to realise if they're new they're going somewhere with a different ambience...

A few I'd say are important:

1 - It's busy, just chill a bit, you'll get there eventually. If you're really bothered, set off with loads of time to spare.

2 - If someone who is a bit rough from being hammered sits next to you, just go with it. Just because they're hammered at 3pm doesn't mean they don't have all they need in life or that they need to find something to make them happy. This comes from personal experience of hearing someone talking down to my OH a couple of years ago. People can be happy and just overdo it! Sarcasm is fine, just watch the boundaries, some people need cutting a little slack.

3 - Try to forgive the stumblers, bumpers, pint spillers etc. You can tell the dicks by sight. The genuine bumpers would be gutted if they knew you'd just walked back from a 25 minute queue and they'd knocked a drink over.

4 - People will dance like a total goon to certain stuff. Easy to deal with as you can move away when outside. When in the tents, just deal with it. You might not like someone that much, but not everyone wants to be at the front. Especially important in the tents where space is at a premium.

5 - Wherever you camp is your home. As in real life you need to deal with your neighbours in a way that either means you're now friends or you can tolerate each other. You don't have to have them round for cocktails but it's nice if they'll show an interest if you're being burgled.

Sorry quite specific ones! Most of it is common sense, which, I think, is pretty much the norm at Glasto.

Don't push in at the bar

Don't pee in the hedges there are enough toilets

If your lucky enough to get in the front Don't push in front of people

who obviously beat you there.. Talk to them, Be nice and courteous and they will help you and probably share their space and look out for you.

I had an unfortunate man who obviously wasn't happy behind me who pushed through to the barrier when i was watching quo. He did everything to put his body in front. No manners or conversation, just barges in... its a no no..

Just be lovely to everyone, and they'll be lovely back

Have a BROAD sense of humour, some things you'll see and hear will be waaaaaayyyy out of the ordinary

Relax, and have the time of your life

Respect the farm :))

Oh, and DON'T SIT ON YOUR BLOODY CHAIR AT THE FRONT OF THE CROWD

Don't push in at the bar

Don't pee in the hedges there are enough toilets

If your lucky enough to get in the front Don't push in front of people

who obviously beat you there.. Talk to them, Be nice and courteous and they will help you and probably share their space and look out for you.

I had an unfortunate man who obviously wasn't happy behind me who pushed through to the barrier when i was watching quo. He did everything to put his body in front. No manners or conversation, just barges in... its a no no..

I don't have issues with chairs, in fact take one around if needed

particularly if watching few bands on same stage, can get tough on the legs otherwise

just don't try and use one in the space in front of mixing desks; It doesn't go down well, and maybe a bit dangerous if everyone on feet behind you surge forward

OK, assuming it was a serious question (the reference to the Monorail led me to assume that someone was looking for a new line of humour)the answer is simple - don't judge people or make assumptions.

Treat everyone and the place with respect.

Share and offer to help your neighbours. You can make great friends just by offering a drink or even assistance to put up a tent.

Smile and say hello. Glasto is one place where you can start conversations with total strangers.

Don't rush and don't push.

Think before you act - for example try not to block the view of others (easier said than done when it's rammed but in the less crowded areas look behind you). If someone is sitting - either on the ground or in a chair - think whether by moving a few feet to the left or right you can leave them with a clear view.

I often come away from Glasto thinking if everyone behaved with such consideration in the 'real world' it would be a much nicer place.