'Elf & Safety, Crowd Control, Sound levels etc

Guest LusciousLucy

Blah blah, rant rant, one too many ciders after hours on a Friday...please excuse me...

but...

I know there has to be 'elf & safety implemented for the future of the festival but now, after attending for so many years where previously as a punter there seemed to be no problem previously even a couple of years ago, we have to now endure such low sound levels to have them be near inaudible even when stood within chatting distance of speakers and queues that last into the night to get into areas where there is actually plenty of space to move around within only to be told the area is full!?! I love the festival with all my heart, I dont love all the general grumpiness brought on by low sound levels and endless queues :(

Yes I is having a bit of a moan (blame the red wine and bad Am Dram I have witnessed this evening!) but it is an experience that seems to now be in that most British of senses, being accepted by us the people paying a lot of money to only, often get really rather annoyed at a fair few situations being presented to us. Nearly inaudible main stages, dance tents that shut earlier than London clubs, queues that would make your mother weep.

Tell me seriously when you last actually had a proper dance to Bo Rap at 4am with a large happy crowd dancing to fairly loud music at a Wine Bar, heard the Chemical Brothers blasting out their beats at a high decibel level on a late night that made your whole body shake from far back at the Second Stage, wasnt told at 4am to leave because the 'venue' was closing?

I know times have changed but I dont get why GFL has let the fest become this way. Yes I KNOW its because of licensing but really, a small village of people that have lived with this most British of institutions for the past 40 years for collectively just (let me do the maths)...200 days MAX with a bit of a raise in sound levels locally and a few undesirables passing through since 1970, can they PLEASE give us party goers that bring fame and fortune to the area from across the world some slack? :(

Not entirely sure where I am going with this, just needed to get my pre G wibbling issues off my chest before I have to endure them all over again in a few weeks time. Heyho. It WILL be fun even if you cant hear much ;)

One day, maybe, the Chems WILL blast their beats at 2007 levels again when your body shook even as far back as the Disabled Platform. Here's hoping eh?

Apologies for wibblings. Love to all xxx

Up the sound! Up the party! up the time on site :D

I do understand residents complaints but as you say its almost a maximum 5 nights in a year where they going increased sound levels and surely a fair few have moved into the area knowing full well the festival is there? I dunno its a hard one, it would be nice to have what people talk about (having my first one last year I wouldn't know) but then if its what got to be done to survive its what gots to be done!

I've heard a few people make the same complaint over the last couple of years, but I also haven't really had a problem with it. The only time I've really noticed bad sound was kasabian in '09, which was just flat and badly mixed.

Went for the first time in 2009.The only complaint i ever had about sound was last year at the Other stage whilst listening to the Stranglers and Courteeners, at the back of the field the sound was very quiet in comparison to being in front of the sound stage which we were for the Editors.

I can only think of when the wind sometimes blows and causes the sound to echo... but probably also has something to do with the hill in-front of the pyramid. I don't see the problem. Also I'm pretty sure Arcadia goes on until 4am or something. i remember sitting at the stone circle just before sunrise and their was still fire and music coming from that general area at least...

I think this is more licencing regs than 'elf and safety'; The bassline from arcadia does seem to drift across the site, and up in east campervanfield we can hear it all night, but I don't have issues with that.

Elf and safety - I reckon the changes made this year to the one way system into the late night areas are well overdue. I think making the queue go down lane from gate C Glebelands into arcadia

will hopefully give some space to everyone queing and allow those who get fed up queuing drop outy without having to swim against the tide of people. I suffer fron sensitive feet, so after a day standing on them, it will be a relief not to walk up that rocky railway line - although this will now be used to exit - but no queuing.

I also hope there are no bottlenecks al la rolf on jazz, wurzels in avalon, football, and Queens head stage on maximo park thursday. Staying safe and 'elf and safety' still important with 170000 on site

(its not 5000 as in glastonbury fayre 71, so things have to move on).

I think this is more licencing regs than 'elf and safety'; The bassline from arcadia does seem to drift across the site, and up in east campervanfield we can hear it all night, but I don't have issues with that.

Elf and safety - I reckon the changes made this year to the one way system into the late night areas are well overdue. I think making the queue go down lane from gate C Glebelands into arcadia

will hopefully give some space to everyone queing and allow those who get fed up queuing drop outy without having to swim against the tide of people. I suffer fron sensitive feet, so after a day standing on them, it will be a relief not to walk up that rocky railway line - although this will now be used to exit - but no queuing.

I also hope there are no bottlenecks al la rolf on jazz, wurzels in avalon, football, and Queens head stage on maximo park thursday. Staying safe and 'elf and safety' still important with 170000 on site

(its not 5000 as in glastonbury fayre 71, so things have to move on).

Edited by marktea

Controlling crowd flow is necessary and they were running a similar system last year.

The sound at stages have to abide by rules and are affected by wind carrying the sound eg. blowing towards residential areas means the sound is lowered.

In 2000 with 250k - 300k of people on site meant alot of areas were always a crush and in the same year Roskilde had people die from crowd movement. I believe this is a well thought plan but if on the Friday it does not work then I can imagine on the Saturday there would be a "B" plan implented and trialled.

A bit off topic but I've just been reminded of this article I read, he must surely have known what he was moving next to! I've been there a few times & even the sub-sonic Hawks are pretty loud.

Man moves next to RNAS Yeovilton

As for the sound at Glasto, it was by first time last year, but was very very impressed compared to the only other big fest I've been to (Reading- where the sound can be notoriously bad due to being next to the town & wind). I swear I was about a mile back watching Stevie & the audio was perfectly loud enough.

For me, the big barriers in front of the sound stage have really killed some of the atmosphere.

Not only does it reduce the number of people that go forward and 'get involved' jumping about etc - but it also creates tight shoals of stagnant people that don't want to let anyone else further through because it's so tight; ignoring the irony that they're the very reason it's such a squeeze. Once you get past them, you universally find there's masses of empty space that's actually pretty close to the main stage.

That's my biggest rant, but lots of other stuff is minorly irksome that's come in over the years.

But then I quite enjoyed the 'life' of Glasto 2000 despite the massive crowding.

they have been running one way system at late night areas for few years

but the increasing popularity of heading there straight after big stages close have basically meant jams and overcrowding on route

the new route is longer from gate c theatre fields down hill and they will have led signs stating length of wait as you move up the queue towards arcadia (11pm-4am)

sensible i think

Sadly we live in an age of rules and regulations. I'm sure the fest tries to fight against any regulations put to it but an middle ground has to be found or the festival simply can't go on.