Help me to understand how big the site is.....

Guest clarebear86

Its my first time to glasto and i know that it is massive however when looking at the map i think everything looks close etc. so please help me to understand how big the site is!?!

For example, how long does it take to walk from pedestrian gate A to the dairy ground, and how long does it take to walk from the dairy ground to the pyramid stage and how long does it take to walk from the pyramid stage to the dance village etc

just so i can figure out where i want to camp etc and how accessible everywhere is....

Thanks in advance :D

Two years ago I got the train because I couldn't travel with the rest of the family . Got the coach from the station. From where we were dropped off to camper van east field where they were took about an hour. And we weren't carrying anything.

It's a big site .

I saw this post the other day which may give you an idea. Remember most stages are in the centre with the camping on the outskirts and the entrance gates are further away. Its huge!! :)

Jazz World is now West Holts

There's a thread here: /index.php?showtopic=144078">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...howtopic=144078

Which includes this done by Keef last year:

glastowalkingtimes.jpg

But if you're talking about walking times after the main stages finished, you'll need to pick a number and multiply the times by that. :P

aww thats brilliant....thanks

but what about the distance from pedestrian gate A to dairy field for example, do you know how long that would take carrying all the gear etc?

Thanks

It's hard to answer that one because we don't know your size, stamina, weight of baggage, etc. What I would say is that you are going to have to compete with the closer crowds who use gates D and E ie. they'll be pitching tents while you are walking towards them from gate A to the Dairy Field (DF). Not sure what time you are arriving but it could affect the quality of your pitch at DF. Also, remember the further you go from gate A the further you have to carry all your stuff back at the end of the festival (assuming you are using gate A because you are using public transport). It might be worth considering pitching closer to gate A.

It is a very large site but you'll come to love every square inch of it.

In first:

http://howbigreally.com/dimension/festivals_and_specticles/glastonbury

Put your postcode in to see the scale relative to your locality.

To be honest, the site isn't THAT big - they just fit a lot in and it is longwinded to get around.

Although if you include all the outlying campervan fields and third party accommodations, then yes, it is pretty big. :P

Edited by hashcity

This is not my image as I was already onsite the day before this was taken but it gives you some idea of who will be flooding onto the site so really its impossible to say as it all depends when you intend to arrive - make no mistake its longer than it looks due to the fact that certain areas are out of bounds so its not a straight walk .

there will be people pushing all sorts of trolleys which slows everyone else down and while you are going one way there will be people crossing your path .

It makes sense to camp close to where you arrive and you will regret picking a field so far away as you will have to shift everything back to Gate A at the end.

glasto-2010-WAITING-FOR-GATES.jpg

Clarebear86

There are camping fields near gate A. I have also come across this on GlastoEarth - see the 2 lines below;

Whilst the overall space inside the fence remains the same, campers will get a little extra space with Bushy Ground freed up from World Cup duties, adding another 10 acres of space in the new camping areas.

This field is before the Daisy field you mentioned as you come from gate A, so may be a better bet with 10 more acres. You could also consider Woodsies and Long Ground straight in front of you. These maybe taken up quickly though you'll probably find room for a tent. Don't know if you are travelling with a big group or not.

You'll be in the same boat as a lot of people (myself included) on Wednesday afternoon. It's good to get a pitch and have it done and dusted but there's no need to have kittens worrying.

By the way - don't pitch next to the silent light generators. They'll come on at night and all night and you'll not get any sleep. Don't pitch right next to the loos either as the build up of smell will not be pleasant to put it mildly.

When we used to camp we liked Williams which is now crew. Yes, it was a hike on arrival from PGD, however to get to the Greenfields, Stonecircle, JazzWorld Stage it was easy. And also very close to Lost Vagueness as it was then.

I would prefer one hike on arrival when you are fresh to a daily hike to and from your camp site. Camp near where you think you will spend your time. When you leave on Monday hopefully your load will be lighter having consumed the alcohol so you would mind as much!! :)

yea see thats what i was thinking but i'm just really unsure where i want to camp as i've never been before and don't know how close everything is and also what each campsite is like....suppose ill probably just decide when i get there...i'll probs just camp as close as i can as i'll not feel like walkin too far but we'll see

:D

This is not my image as I was already onsite the day before this was taken but it gives you some idea of who will be flooding onto the site so really its impossible to say as it all depends when you intend to arrive - make no mistake its longer than it looks due to the fact that certain areas are out of bounds so its not a straight walk .

there will be people pushing all sorts of trolleys which slows everyone else down and while you are going one way there will be people crossing your path .

It makes sense to camp close to where you arrive and you will regret picking a field so far away as you will have to shift everything back to Gate A at the end.

No matter how many people try and tell you how massive the site is, the best moment is really when you see it for yourself.

As for the best camping spots ... really, play it by ear when you get there. Last year me and my mates had a well thought out plan that we abandoned after it took forever to get into the site. You'll find a spot, you'll have a great time. It's amazing!

The other thing to remember is that Glasto isn't flat. The site is in a huge bowl and there will be a lot of walking uphill. Not so bad when you're just walking but if you're carrying stuff into the site or pushing/pulling a trolley the hills seem to get steeper.