Your all time no. 1 festival tip

Guest acripaul

Leggings not trousers.

• Dry faster

• Can be worn in layers

• Light to pack and don't take up much space

• Can be rolled up incase of sunshine and you want to get your pins out.

• And finally, if you manage to pee down your leg rather than sit on the toilet seat, you can simply chuck them in the bin.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leggings not trousers.

• Dry faster

• Can be worn in layers

• And finally, if you manage to pee down your leg rather than sit on the toilet seat, you can simply chuck them in the bin.

Definitely bring good, comfy and broken in footwear (you don't want to break shoes there!), I always bring sandals for when it's hot, hiking boots for the walk in and in the evening (anything which straps your ankles is a good thing when walking on uneven ground with the weight of a small person on your back! Or drunk..) and wellies, don't even think about not taking them. I didn't have to wear them at all last year and yes it was a tad annoying because it was extra weight but when it does rain and you need them you REALLY need them! Plus you get a smug sense of satisfaction walking past people with binbags tied to their feet.

I bring ziplock sandwich bags, again in case it rains. Put all your rizlas, ticket, cigs etc in there if it does rain and you can guarantee they won't get wrecked in your bag. I learnt this the hard way one year when I discovered my ipod floating in water in my bag courtesy of am impromptu downfall. Which leads me to...

Lockups - they are awesome and should be used - end of. Admittedly last year was the first time I did (have been going since 2000) and I wish I'd always used them. I put my house keys, ipod, bus ticket, bank cards, half my spending money and cigarettes in there. Halfway through the festival I pick up some cash etc and I pick the rest up on Monday morning. I camp in the Diary Ground so there's one nearby. Plus you can pick up a loo roll from them as and when. An absolute essential and brilliant service.

Sorry that's 3 things... If I had to choose one I'd go with footwear!

In addition to taking good footwear I'd say make sure you look after your feet. Try to keep them as dry as you can. Wet wipe wash followed by baby powder and a fresh pair of socks will make a world of difference! If it's wet then this is especially important.

Other than that I'd say taking a couple of precharged mobile phone batteries is a god one. Saves having to waste time at the bloody chill and charge place! You can pick them up for about 3 quid on ebay.

Hand sanitizer! You will be thankful by the time friday hits and the toilets are covered in poo.

Make sure your sensible dry weather shoes don't have a wafer thin sole. The ground is very very lumpy when dry.

Take light weight food for snacks, any extra weight will be torture on the walk from your car/coach. And don't take food that will go off. One year someone in my group took raw chicken for a BBQ, but then forgot about it. It was discovered on the saturday stinking his whole tent out.

Don't make a mess. Take your empty cans/cups with you until you find a bin. Keep all your campsite rubbish in a bin bag and don't leave any chairs/tents/gazebos/whatever when you leave. All the younguns seemed to think it was cool to have a pile of strongbow cans outside their tents last year. Be considerate, Leave No Trace.

My tip, contrary to some already voiced, is to look past the bad reputation of the porta-loos and use them instead of the long drops. I'm sure the porta-loos were terrible in past years but last year they were MILES better than the long drops! Shop around first though, find one that's recently been cleaned (they get cleaned very regularly nowadays).

Also, cos they've got a bad reputation they're far less busy than the long drops and you rarely have to queue.

And if you are walking around the festival and you see a cleaning team working on some loos, jump in one they've just finished with and do a poo, even if you didn't feel you needed to, could save you some grief later when you can't find a recenty cleaned one.

My tip, contrary to some already voiced, is to look past the bad reputation of the porta-loos and use them instead of the long drops. I'm sure the porta-loos were terrible in past years but last year they were MILES better than the long drops! Shop around first though, find one that's recently been cleaned (they get cleaned very regularly nowadays).

Also, cos they've got a bad reputation they're far less busy than the long drops and you rarely have to queue.

And if you are walking around the festival and you see a cleaning team working on some loos, jump in one they've just finished with and do a poo, even if you didn't feel you needed to, could save you some grief later when you can't find a recenty cleaned one.

If your going for the whole 6 days (what other way is there to do it?)bring something comfy to sleep on either buy yourself a cheap inflatable mattress from Joe Bananas when you get there (they will inflate it for you)or bring your own comfortable camping mat, 6 days is a long time to sleep on a hard floor.

Also back a small back rest, easy to carry about, much less anti social than a camping chair. And clothing with lots of pockets.

If your going for the whole 6 days (what other way is there to do it?)bring something comfy to sleep on either buy yourself a cheap inflatable mattress from Joe Bananas when you get there (they will inflate it for you)or bring your own comfortable camping mat, 6 days is a long time to sleep on a hard floor.

Practice putting your tent up and taking it down before you get on site. It'll save you time in the long run and also save you looking like a complete tit :D

Leggings not trousers.

• Dry faster

• Can be worn in layers

You can get around showering by using a combination of hand sanitiser on wet wipes to give yourself a wipe down in the necessary places (the sanitiser kills the bacteria that makes you smell funky). Then some antiperspirant to finish.

Some dry shampoo on your hair washed out with some water.

Re: toilets, my experience is that location is key. The HUGE field of Turdis' near the Pyramid/market area (behind the Solidarity Bar) is OK as there are so many toilets and other more remote locations are fine, regardless of if they are long drop/high drop/whatever. The ones near the Other/Dance fields are God-awful* and the ones just outside the Park seem to get industrial levels of use so are nasty.

* I had major squits in '09 and went to the ones near the railway line at the back of the Other field in desperation, the first door I opened had a pile of poo a good 4 inches above the seat height. It had buttock prints in it. That sight was enough to make me clench up and move on I tell you.

* I had major squits in '09 and went to the ones near the railway line at the back of the Other field in desperation, the first door I opened had a pile of poo a good 4 inches above the seat height. It had buttock prints in it. That sight was enough to make me clench up and move on I tell you.

Yup, Brand new socks. 7 pairs. £3 a pack from matalan or whatever, worth every penny. Putting on a brand new pair of socks mid afternoon feels almost as good as a shower.

Cut your toenails 48 hours before you set off. I can assure you it will massively improve your foot related comfort.

Travel down later in the day wednesday, this will give me time to get my tent pitched before you lot turn up :P