Why did Prince fall through?

Guest george424

If I remember right a few papers had him lined up to be Sunday headliner which I can believe could have been possible especially with people unsure if Beyonce was going to really headline at the time or rather sub the main headliner and Prince would fit that idea.

Also him playing Hyde Park on the Friday, then playing Glastonbury on Sunday would have worked perfectly for him I guess, but Neil has said he won't book for a show any earlier than like 3 months before it and I guess ME couldn't wait that long.

*IF* Glasto actually tried to get him - which I'm not sure about - then I reckon that that the problem was this....

I've heard that Prince won't give confirmation that he'll do a show until around 6 weeks before the show is due to happen.

So, for Glasto, I'd guess that they feel that's too short a time to find someone else if instead of accepting the offer he knocks it back.

*IF* Glasto actually tried to get him - which I'm not sure about - then I reckon that that the problem was this....

I've heard that Prince won't give confirmation that he'll do a show until around 6 weeks before the show is due to happen.

So, for Glasto, I'd guess that they feel that's too short a time to find someone else if instead of accepting the offer he knocks it back.

Neil I remember you saying about Prince not being "current" enough to headline at present, due to the age thing, plus made a big point out of the fact that most of his UK shows the other year sold out mainly to international ticket buyers.

It's a given though, that if he played Glastonbury, it would be headline or nothing though surely?

I'd love to catch him, so gutted that if he is playing Hard Rock calling, it will be missed. :( I'd been blasting him back end of last year, when he was rumoured to be playing Glastonbury.

Any hint of any other shows?

Edited by 1mills

Fair enough, must be a new thing from him though, as when he last played London, they went on sale way before that, same when he played Coachella, he was announced a lot longer than 6 weeks in advance. I think he's really wary about playing after that f**king debacle with the gig in Dublin a few years back.

Neil I remember you saying about Prince not being "current" enough to headline at present, due to the age thing, plus made a big point out of the fact that most of his UK shows the other year sold out mainly to international ticket buyers.

It's a given though, that if he played Glastonbury, it would be headline or nothing though surely?

yep - if he played I'd expect him to headline.

I did have some info which suggested that Glastonbury were still trying to get him just a day or two before Beyonce was announced, so if that info is true (tho I have my doubts, for good reason) then I guess it's possible that he'd do a 'special guest' secret slot.

But if that info were true, then he'd defo have to be announced for Hard Rock Calling - if he's not announced for that, then there's zero chance.

I'd love to catch him, so gutted that if he is playing Hard Rock calling, it will be missed. :( I'd been blasting him back end of last year, when he was rumoured to be playing Glastonbury.

Any hint of any other shows?

Yeah I will be gutted to miss him if he plays in the UK and I can't see him.

I'm thinking a mini conspiracy theory here. If what Neil says about potential negotiations going on until a couple of days before Beyonce was announced, what if her agents/label got scent of that, figured "well she's down as a headliner for the moment" and confirmed her, so to quash any other offers? We know (?) that she wasn't originally down to headline but sub to Coldplay.

Remember it was her label that announced her initially.