Latest Festivals News

Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

First Announcement

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#41 saraha

saraha

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

So That's a definite we won't be going this year now. Only Frank Turner that I would really want to see and I can see him in Dunfermline next month. My first year without Bella for 6 years ...and not doing T or Rockness. What shall we do with our summer!!

#42 theampersanddevil

theampersanddevil

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:38 AM

So That's a definite we won't be going this year now. Only Frank Turner that I would really want to see and I can see him in Dunfermline next month. My first year without Bella for 6 years ...and not doing T or Rockness. What shall we do with our summer!!

I'm sure you have a few plans.

Some of my mates will be going no matter what, their kids love it and its a great festival for that. For them its about their kids and its not about the music.

For me, without kids, for the majority of the days I wander around going to see bands. At most festivals I'm never happier than when I'm discovering new bands. In fact when I see a cracking wee band I love it and bang on about them for weeks on end and spend all day trying to get someone to forgo a famous act to go and see babs and the bawbreakers (I invented them, they will make me famous when i can get around to being malcolm mclaren). However, I can't spend an entire day watching bands I can't singalong to. I really struggled on the friday last year to find much I liked and got bored very quickly. I couldn't imagine a weekend doing this. I need a few bands to look forward to.

I know the line-up will improve but given the massive trip from Essex I will have to make by the time the festival comes around, I am seeing very little to convince me of splashing out on a ticket. Especially given the calibre of the headliners, well one in particular.

#43 Da_J_Doc-~

Da_J_Doc-~

Clique Member No' 05

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:44 PM

Yep we're jibbing it too this year, Mrs Doc was already swithering and this is the final nail in the coffin, Deacon Blue and Texas are woeful headliners and i feel that the success of Bella has went to the organisers heads and they have booked two headliners that are way removed from the demographic who attend the festival, shame really.
Will have to find somewhere else to go now.

#44 Red Day

Red Day

Form a band, start name with K and headline TITP yearly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Pretty sad when you see a lot of regulars giving it a miss this year. I've had a look at the Bella facebook page and a lot of people who are sticking up for the festival seem to only see it as a great weekend to go and get pissed and the line up isn't of any concern.

I was bored on the Saturday last year because although I enjoy a beer, I have to say the bands that are on are more important to me than getting hammered, and for me there was nothing to get excited about on the Saturday.

This year the only thing so far for me is Frank Turner, and it's just too far to go and too much expense to justify for one performance. Maybe the line up will improve and I'm aware it's not all about headliners, but this year is a serious let down. Texas and Deacon Blue ??? get a grip

#45 Red Day

Red Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

Come and see Madness at the Northern Lights Festival in Aberdeen the week before Bella B)

#46 herindoors

herindoors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Pretty sad when you see a lot of regulars giving it a miss this year. I've had a look at the Bella facebook page and a lot of people who are sticking up for the festival seem to only see it as a great weekend to go and get pissed and the line up isn't of any concern.

I was bored on the Saturday last year because although I enjoy a beer, I have to say the bands that are on are more important to me than getting hammered, and for me there was nothing to get excited about on the Saturday.

This year the only thing so far for me is Frank Turner, and it's just too far to go and too much expense to justify for one performance. Maybe the line up will improve and I'm aware it's not all about headliners, but this year is a serious let down. Texas and Deacon Blue ??? get a grip

That.

I just can't justifty spending 90 on a ticket (and goodness knows how much on food etc) to see Admiral Fallow and Frank Turner. I'm not able to camp this year so would need to travel back/forth each day as well and it's just not worth it, unfortunately.

#47 Red Day

Red Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

That.

I just can't justifty spending 90 on a ticket (and goodness knows how much on food etc) to see Admiral Fallow and Frank Turner. I'm not able to camp this year so would need to travel back/forth each day as well and it's just not worth it, unfortunately.

Ach well, at least some pissheaad will get the good of our tickets and have a ball of a weekend dancing around drunk to the cutting edge tunes of the Dangleberries :(

#48 herindoors

herindoors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

Cheers for that, I've got their rendition of that fecking Black Eyed Peas tune in my head now...

#49 Red Day

Red Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Cheers for that, I've got their rendition of that fecking Black Eyed Peas tune in my head now...

:lol: Sorry for that. It was a Killers song I heard in the distance at one point.. Arrrggggg, sends a shiver through me :blink:

#50 Spooner

Spooner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

http://www.audiobullys.com/gigs

Audiobullys also down for Northern Lights in Aberdeen

There is now a facebook page and announcements are due on monday

#51 LallyBee

LallyBee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Alas it would appear that Bella has turned int a music festival for people who aren't bothered about music and don't really go for festivals. I had such high hopes and am sad that it has come to this- have been going since 2005 but think this will be our last one. I will miss the general ambience but for me a music festival really should care about the music. It's not like I expected huge names but I'm struggling this year to not regret buying the tickets early. Glad to see there are others out there who still have a soul.
Okay, over dramatising a bit but I had such high hopes for this year. And they might surprise me yet

#52 Red Day

Red Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Alas it would appear that Bella has turned int a music festival for people who aren't bothered about music and don't really go for festivals. I had such high hopes and am sad that it has come to this- have been going since 2005 but think this will be our last one. I will miss the general ambience but for me a music festival really should care about the music. It's not like I expected huge names but I'm struggling this year to not regret buying the tickets early. Glad to see there are others out there who still have a soul.
Okay, over dramatising a bit but I had such high hopes for this year. And they might surprise me yet

You're not. Almost all the post are from people like yourself who have been going to Bella for many a year. We're maybe only a small number but we all seem to share the same feeling that so far very little thought has gone into what's being offered. I'm with you, I go to a music festival to see and enjoy bands, not just to say I was there. If the organisers read these forums, and I think they do, they should maybe take note of what the general feeling on the forum is.

#53 iainP

iainP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:27 AM

I really want to be the person that says "C'mon everyone, It's early days. The organisers are bound to have a couple of aces up their sleeve." But I can't be, thanks to the fact they've confirmed the headliners. Gutted.

The fact that the only positive vibes on this 'First Announcements' thread are from people talking about an entirely different festival says it all.

Hopefully the organisers get the hint and pull the finger out.

#54 theampersanddevil

theampersanddevil

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:03 AM

I also think things weren't helped by last years considerable p*** poor line-up, which campared to this year looks....slightly better.

What I mean is I had hoped that there would be a lot of improvements last year, there were some but not enough. I had also hoped that the festival could carry me through it, but it didn't and I'd be reluctant to put myself in that position again.

#55 Jill G

Jill G

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:17 AM

What festie, not Wizard?

I'm sure there will be loads of other good stuff :unsure: and the atmosphere is always great but how can you compare DB to Feeder! You can't :angry:

No, you're right, Deacon Blue are much better than Feeder, I'm really looking forward to seeing them! :lol:

#56 Mcscotty

Mcscotty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:36 AM

No, you're right, Deacon Blue are much better than Feeder, I'm really looking forward to seeing them! :lol:

lol, you're one of the lucky ones then ;)

It's not that I'm against seeing them, especially as I've never seen them before, but I just don't think they are deserving of headlining. If they'd been on the same night as Texas, with someone else a bit more current on the other night, would probably be happy enough.

#57 theampersanddevil

theampersanddevil

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:32 AM

lol, you're one of the lucky ones then ;)

It's not that I'm against seeing them, especially as I've never seen them before, but I just don't think they are deserving of headlining. If they'd been on the same night as Texas, with someone else a bit more current on the other night, would probably be happy enough.

See that makes a bit more sense (would be my idea of hell). I still can't get my head around this booking though. I've been trying to think of another scottish 80's band to give it some context. Aztec Camera, Danny Wilson, Simple Minds (but then that would be a booking and a half, mind you i love the breakfast club so I'm biased).

Talking of which I met Dougie Vipond once, so i'm biased against them.

Edited by theampersanddevil, 16 April 2011 - 03:40 AM.

#58 Mcscotty

Mcscotty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

See that makes a bit more sense (would be my idea of hell). I still can't get my head around this booking though. I've been trying to think of another scottish 80's band to give it some context. Aztec Camera, Danny Wilson, Simple Minds (but then that would be a booking and a half, mind you i love the breakfast club so I'm biased).

Talking of which I met Dougie Vipond once, so i'm biased against them.

I keep thinking did they get a 'job lot' booking, I can't understand it either. I remember seeing Sharleen on tv maybe last year, reformed or new material, something like that but nothing ever came of it. And when did you last hear of anything from Deacon Blue? On their website "new material coming soon" but how does that get them a headline slot? Very weird

Yeah I mentioned Simple Minds months ago, that would have been great!! Now I think I'll go see them in Inverness in July, I was holding off kinda hoping they might have done Bella, but no such luck.

#59 Red Day

Red Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:41 AM

Oh my :( Feeder will never be the most cutting edge of bands but to say Dreadful Blue are better is......just wrong :D

And to think we were almost agreeing on some things. Not sure we're going to go this year due to the line up.

#60 Red Day

Red Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

I've had a lsiten to most acts now on websites etc and IMHO this must be the worst line up in the history of festivals