the strange death of liberal england

Guest alfie672

ok noddy's guide to vocabulary:

relevant: mcfly, reef, showaddywaddy have not made a significant piece of music recently (if ever) as opposed to say for example, the fall who have been going for donkey's but make great new music

financially relevant to me: i am a punter and i will pay a fair price for a festival ticket if it corresponds to my what i think is a festival that for most part reflects my values (up until last year i was confident i had a match with ss)

financially neutral headliners: do not book expensive but very questionable headline bands that go totally against the grain of what the ss has been about because you attract a few more punters, long term this strategy does not work.

i may well be a music snob but i am a passionate music snob who cares.

Young Knives gave a massive hint that they would be playing during an interview on BBC Radio Leicester last night. Excellent news

Conversation went

DJ we will be seeing you at a festival or 2 around here I imagine that we cant talk about yet

YK1 Maybe on a Sunday

YK2 Divvee

YK1 Its giving nothing away

ok noddy's guide to vocabulary:

relevant: mcfly, reef, showaddywaddy have not made a significant piece of music recently (if ever) as opposed to say for example, the fall who have been going for donkey's but make great new music

financially relevant to me: i am a punter and i will pay a fair price for a festival ticket if it corresponds to my what i think is a festival that for most part reflects my values (up until last year i was confident i had a match with ss)

financially neutral headliners: do not book expensive but very questionable headline bands that go totally against the grain of what the ss has been about because you attract a few more punters, long term this strategy does not work.

i may well be a music snob but i am a passionate music snob who cares.

Edited by llcoolphil

I don't know what's more amusing on this thread - the extraordinary overreaction to what (above) was clearly a joke, or the fact that some people feel the need to deny that they are a member of the Leicester Music Mafia. How about taking things a little less seriously? Anyway, everyone knows that the LMM disbanded when Wrinkly Pink Catsuits split up.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's consider the evidence shall we?

I live in Lancashire and apart from a few stints in London, always have. I know its all 'down south' to us northern monkeys, but even Im struggling to put London on the outskirts of Leicester.

Ive chatted with Richard Haswell a few times, but he isn't the festival director anymore. Ive never met Rob Challice, though did get a nice message off him saying I could still take my own beer in the arena.

I met Seantizz at Glasto last year, possibly at SSW but if I did I was too drunk to remember (sorry rascal)

I met Andy Black at SSW last year for the first time. lovely chap. But he isn't involved in this year's fringe and is actually too busy developing a North Wales obscure music bands you cant pronounce unless you speak welsh Cosa Nostra just now. At least you'd think so, judging from his FB posts.

I do count Kaybee amongst my friends and she announced on the Rising Stage last year in between camping with us. She doesn't live in Leicester though, having emigrated to Wales. Maybe she's in cahoots with Black Corleone?

Apart from driving round the ring road on the way to Market Harborough (and the Pork Pie roundabout is hugely improved with the lights)several times, I visited Leicester twice last year. Once for SSW and once for The Manics. Im not sure that qualifies me as having my finger on the Leicester pulse.

Indeed, I dont know Pete Wyeth in any way, shape or form, and if you're going to be in the Leicester MM, you definitely have to. Couldnt even be arsed to get up early and see him at the festival last year.

I do know one Leicester musician and saw him play his geetar at the festival a few years ago. Im hoping to catch up with him somewhere over summer, but Im thinking that might not actually be in Leicester.

Im trying to find a job in Nottingham, but that isn't really Leicester.

Apart from that, well done Cavey, you are spot on my son.

Edited by andyblack