First timer

Guest Randomly

Well, i have a weekend ticket for the Reading festival; I'm looking forward to it but I'm a first timer(going alone) and a little nervous so i thought I'd ask all you people for any(serious)advice you have please?for example,

how far is it from the train station-will i need a bus/taxi or something or is it walkable?

i couldnt get early entry so assuming i get there 11am on the friday(i think thats the earliest i can get in?) when do bands normally start-how long will i have to set up the tent and find my way around?

are there any campsites best to avoid-how do campsites even work?

can i bring in alcohol-bearing in mind i dont like beer or cider,spirits all the way!how thoroughly do they check on entry to campsites?

are there any essentials i ought to bring other than tent/sleeping bag/spare clothes/money?(i would be getting a lift so can't bring too much)

how big are lockers-how much will fit in?

theres probably a lot more questions i can't think of,so yeah,advice in general,please?very sorry if this has been answered-which it probably has

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i have a weekend ticket for the Reading festival; I'm looking forward to it but I'm a first timer(going alone) and a little nervous so i thought I'd ask all you people for any(serious)advice you have please?for example,

how far is it from the train station-will i need a bus/taxi or something or is it walkable?

i couldnt get early entry so assuming i get there 11am on the friday(i think thats the earliest i can get in?) when do bands normally start-how long will i have to set up the tent and find my way around?

can i bring in alcohol-bearing in mind i dont like beer or cider,spirits all the way!how thoroughly do they check on entry to campsites?

are there any essentials i ought to bring other than tent/sleeping bag/spare clothes/money?(i would be getting a lift so can't bring too much)

theres probably a lot more questions i can't think of,so yeah,advice in general,please?very sorry if this has been answered-which it probably has

thank you both for you help =D

i think so far my only burning questions are-how easy is it to get boiling water(so i can bring pot noodles for food-light and cheap :P)

how big are the lockers

how are the toilets-typical portaloos?

is there some sort of signing tent or something?(im not overly bothered if theres not,just curious)

do you have to buy a programme so you know who's when and where or is it announced online beforehand?(i wanna wonder around and discover new people but there are a few bands i dont want to miss for definate)

thank you both for you help =D

i think so far my only burning questions are-how easy is it to get boiling water(so i can bring pot noodles for food-light and cheap :P)

how big are the lockers

is there some sort of signing tent or something?(im not overly bothered if theres not,just curious)

do you have to buy a programme so you know who's when and where or is it announced online beforehand?(i wanna wonder around and discover new people but there are a few bands i dont want to miss for definate)

thanks; will the camp loner thing be later in the year- i dont see it atm but im probably being dense :P

anyway thank you for all help i appreciate it-i have been to festivals before(glastonbury) but seeing as i was only 4,5 and then 6 at the times it cant really count-and certainly doesnt help me for planning haha :P

It will be, they do it every year. The 2010 thread is still on there but you'd have to adjust the forum settings to see it (it won't show posts over 90 days old as standard).

You get the benefit of going with a few experienced festivalers that way.

Or you're welcome to come camp with my lot in Red if you want. We've got about 25 this year in our camp so it won't be hard to miss :D

1)Well, i have a weekend ticket for the Reading festival; I'm looking forward to it but I'm a first timer(going alone) and a little nervous so i thought I'd ask all you people for any(serious)advice you have please?for example,

2)how far is it from the train station-will i need a bus/taxi or something or is it walkable?

3)i couldnt get early entry so assuming i get there 11am on the friday(i think thats the earliest i can get in?) when do bands normally start-how long will i have to set up the tent and find my way around?

4)are there any campsites best to avoid-how do campsites even work?

5)can i bring in alcohol-bearing in mind i dont like beer or cider,spirits all the way!how thoroughly do they check on entry to campsites?

6)are there any essentials i ought to bring other than tent/sleeping bag/spare clothes/money?(i would be getting a lift so can't bring too much)

7)how big are lockers-how much will fit in?

8)theres probably a lot more questions i can't think of,so yeah,advice in general,please?very sorry if this has been answered-which it probably has

Edited by ThisSceneIsDead

It's about 20 minutes, easy to find as there will be a constant trail of festival goers and the road will be lined with people selling beer and dodgy band t-shirts.

With a normal ticket you can get into the campsites from Thursday morning, early entry gets you in from Wednesday. Friday 11am (ish) is when the bands usually start. Strongly advise that you don't turn up ready to camp on the Friday morning as space will be very limited.

Campsites are named by colour and have their own characteristics - the ones closer to the arena tend to be the rowdier ones that fill up quicker.

You aren't supposed to bring glass into the campsite, they don't check everyone but they do random searches through bags so you could get caught. If you don't fancy risking it just pour spirits into some empty plastic bottles. No open bottles of any kind are allowed to be taken into the arena, they check pretty thoroughly though you can still sneak stuff in.

Wet wipes, small packets of tissues (for the toilet), two bin bags (one to keep dry clothes in, one to put wet/muddy clothes in), Snacks that take no preparation - rusks, pop tarts to eat cold, cereal bars, etc.

No idea, when the official sites up they'll probably have an article about booking them that might have a picture of them.

There'll be a map of the site on the official website nearer the time so have a look at that and print one off so you can plan where you're going.

No idea. I think people have mentioned this before but don't know if there's an official hot water stand that charges or whether they just nip off to the Salvation Army tent and ask nicely for some.

Inside the arena they have temporary blocks of toilets, in the campites they have long-drops; metal cubicles built onto a raised platform that all drop into the same pit. Toliet roll not provided.

There is indeed.

The timetable is never officially released (to encourage you to buy a programme) but one will be made and put on here for you to print off before you go.

Re the lockers

They're pretty small - maybe a 30 cm cube but they do have a power source so you can plug in your mobile with a car typecharger. I get one for my phone and half my cash and housekeys.

There's also the left luggaeg place which is only like £3 a bag but is good for leaving your bag if you want to leave after the bands in a evening and pack up before hand.

Have a good fest!

Take a camp chair! You don't want to be sat on the ground whilst everyone else is sitting in chairs, especially if it's wet. They aren't that heavy & they come in bags you can sling over your shoulder. Don't leave it out though or I will come a steal it. I'll give it back but many others would find it more fun to keep or set fire to it on the Sunday.

Also purple is a great campsite. It gets the best of all the campsites so is neither too lively or too dull. Doesn't flood in most places, not far from the arena, not far from the action in yellow at night, convenient water points around Henry's Gate on the way to the arena & probably (although this is only my opinion & heavily generalised to the bit where I always camp!) the friendlier of the Reading goers as most seem to be in the 20-25 age group with a uni background.

If you want the action go to yellow. If you want family camping, go white. If you want a bit of both, purple... the connoisseurs choice imo.

"the friendlier of the Reading goers as most seem to be in the 20-25 age group with a uni background."

i'll feel so young there being only 18 then :P i am actually leaning towards red or purple at the moment,pleeeenty of time to decide though :D as to the chair,we'll see,sounds good but then i need to pack stuff i can actually carry seeing as its trains all the way...i live along the london paddington-malvern line though and i think reading is a stop along there so no changes...hmmmm.so its all in getting to the campsite from the station

"the friendlier of the Reading goers as most seem to be in the 20-25 age group with a uni background."

i'll feel so young there being only 18 then :P i am actually leaning towards red or purple at the moment,pleeeenty of time to decide though :D as to the chair,we'll see,sounds good but then i need to pack stuff i can actually carry seeing as its trains all the way...i live along the london paddington-malvern line though and i think reading is a stop along there so no changes...hmmmm.so its all in getting to the campsite from the station

I'm a girl :D and its not my first festival as such,its my first one i'm going for the music rather than my parents working in a food tent,and the first one where i'll actually remember it(or not as the case may be due to alcohol)-and the first one where i have to plan things

I wouldn't advise you camp with my lot then, it's mainly guys and we all love getting naked when the beers flowing. :D

I went through a lot of camp chairs last year, broke my £25 beast of a recliner (comfiest thing in the world by the way), fixed it, someone nicked it from my tent.

Then broke about 3 more over the course of 5 days, they aint built for heavy drunk brokes I don't think...

Camping chairs are cheap though, I just bought a new one when I broke one, they were like £5 or something from the green tent place, i can't really remember, bargain.

I honestly don't care how many chairs get nicked, they're only rated to about 80kg, half my weight, they don't last long. Being a big tall bastard has it's ups and downs, I can see all the bands but I can't sit down at the end of the day :D

The one time I bought a chair that could take my weight it got nicked, bastards!

Edited by Mega Ross