Best food to take to the festival?

Guest starknaked

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noodles are great when your camping as they are dry and, so, very light. There's plenty of water on site so you don't need to be carrying the weight of that; especially on public transport. Visit an Asian supermarket and fill up on some of the huge variety of instant noodles they have. Noodles will cook just sitting in hot water so you don't need much fuel either. Couscous has similar advantages. Buy flavoured varieties of noodles/couscous and you will be sorted, but take along some things to spice it up.

• 1 month later...

Going to Rockness next week so started planning our food and remembered that we took cold pizza to fests previously, cooked it the night before then wrapped it in a couple of layers of foil and it was good to go by the time we got on site. Perfect for when you first get there as there's no prep or cutlery required, fills you up and tastes good washed down with the first tinny after sticking the tent up :D

Just writing my food list as I read this thread. Some good suggestions in here - will be making up some chilli and rice before we go, and will take a tin of meatballs and flavoured rice. Even if we only cook for the first couple of nights this will save some pennies. Definitely taking some of those Nescafe 3 in 1 coffee things - its not the best tasting coffee but its not too bad either. And cuts down on carrying so much. Also taking those small packets of cereal to have each morning.

Ooooh.........its getting close now!!!! :)

Just writing my food list as I read this thread. Some good suggestions in here - will be making up some chilli and rice before we go, and will take a tin of meatballs and flavoured rice. Even if we only cook for the first couple of nights this will save some pennies. Definitely taking some of those Nescafe 3 in 1 coffee things - its not the best tasting coffee but its not too bad either. And cuts down on carrying so much. Also taking those small packets of cereal to have each morning.

Ooooh.........its getting close now!!!! :)

i got so excited this morning, i started planning the asda shop i plan on getting delivered. so far lots of boil in a bag rice, with tinned curry or meatballs. chunky soup. coffee/hot choc. tinned hot dog sausages. cereal bars, and cereal. crisps and biscuits. possibly some cheap pasties . (i drive on site so no issues with having to carry it all) hopefully with all of that i will keep food costs down to just a couple of meals bought around the site.

I have seen this deal on there actually for pre mixed spirits in a can. 5 for £5. i plan on spending at least £30 on thatt.

link

My festival breakfast was usually Brioche and Belvita breakfast biscuits, nae cooking involved at all and more filling than you'd expect, plus tins of all day breakfast type things for a bit more sustenance, then usually set for the day, liquid meals for the rest of the time.

Coma Girl, pre cooking pizza, genius idea, never thought of that before, can't beat next day pizza after a night out, never entered my head for taking to a fest. I'm going to RockNess too, will definitely be giving that a go this year!

In years gone by I have taken cooking stoves and BBQ's meat on BBQ and noodle on the stove with brackfast in a tin, witch has been amazing really but only when I could be ass to cook or was low on money. but this year we r cycling in so have to cut back on the weight. U can only have two bags weighting up too 30kg with tent picked and taken for u from the cycling package. So travling light with food and drink as have to bring it with me when I cycling in on the wedensdays! Bringing one creat of cider a few pot of pringels, some track bars, apples, squash and some pepperuarmys too. Oh and maybe harrybo. Lol, only nack food really! So will be buying breakfast sandwiches with one mean in the evening.

Right people I know Pringles are awkward to pack but they are bloody lush and ASDA have them on offer at the minute, specific flavours for £1 a tube. Best new flavour? Definitely marguerite pizza. Just taste-tested and I can confirm they actually taste like pizza. Absolute winner.

On a note more central to the OP I usually stock up on sachets of pasta& meat free chilli that you find in ASDA (and of course all other reputable supermarkets) get a fair-sized camping pot, mini-gas stove & bung like 3 various flavours of your choice into the pot. It will taste damn good, goes down well with a tortilla wrap or two & will keep you warm and full ready for evening festivities. That kinda thing has fed and kept me going 4 festivals and two duke of ed awards - we even get comments of how damn good it smells from other campers nearby - and the sachets take up hardly any room either :)

I have a set of camping-friendly cooking equipment, but have never bothered to take it to a festival. I hate washing up, and am generally happy snacking on bits and pieces and only having one bought meal a day.

I do like my breakfast, however... and my favourite thing is some cereal with a sliced banana, and chocolate milk poured over it. The Alpro stuff is great as an energy-boosting drink, and doesn't need refrigerating.

Edited by J_J_

These are brillint.

They don't need to be kept in the fridge, my partner and I share one at meal times with a bit of bread and butter.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/deep_link.jsp?DEEP_LINK._jspn=6458191

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/deep_link.jsp?DEEP_LINK._jspn=6886109

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/deep_link.jsp?DEEP_LINK._jspn=6886098

they do have there own website but it seems to be undergoing maintenance or something at the moment.

O really recommend the beef n porter one.

x

Right people I know Pringles are awkward to pack but they are bloody lush and ASDA have them on offer at the minute, specific flavours for £1 a tube. Best new flavour? Definitely marguerite pizza. Just taste-tested and I can confirm they actually taste like pizza. Absolute winner.

On a note more central to the OP I usually stock up on sachets of pasta& meat free chilli that you find in ASDA (and of course all other reputable supermarkets) get a fair-sized camping pot, mini-gas stove & bung like 3 various flavours of your choice into the pot. It will taste damn good, goes down well with a tortilla wrap or two & will keep you warm and full ready for evening festivities. That kinda thing has fed and kept me going 4 festivals and two duke of ed awards - we even get comments of how damn good it smells from other campers nearby - and the sachets take up hardly any room either :)

These are brillint.

They don't need to be kept in the fridge, my partner and I share one at meal times with a bit of bread and butter.

http://www.sainsbury...K._jspn=6458191

http://www.sainsbury...K._jspn=6886109

http://www.sainsbury...K._jspn=6886098

they do have there own website but it seems to be undergoing maintenance or something at the moment.

O really recommend the beef n porter one.

x