Best food to take to the festival?

Guest starknaked

Okay so every year i spend an absolute bomb on food at the festival. I've taken a couple of cans of beans and heated them up a couple of years, but there is only so much beans you can take. I would obviously still prefer to save my money and not buy as much food at the festival. i will still take a couple of trusty cans of beans. But has anyone got any further suggestions on food, considering things like the heat and keeping things cold...and not perishables?

Edited by starknaked

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I am of the cereal bar club for the most part. I'm not exactly rolling in cash so I have to take it easy with what I spend. I found that a box of crunchy nut cornflakes, combined with festival milk is a godsend in the morning..bigass bowl of cereal, litre of orange juice, quick cup of coffee at the 50p tea tent and then its off to the long drops for my morning consitutional....lovely.

I took some ginsters slice things last year, to snack on on the wednesday, they went down very well and were sat on my frozen water bottles so still chilled and fresh thursday morning. Thursday is also the day that I break out my one and only cooked meal with the disposable bbq and some decent butchers sausages, bacon and baps. After that I lose all faith in anything staying fresh and rely on cereal for breakfast, snack bars through the day and one good purchased meal in the evening. I take my kids with me, so the cost of meals soon stacks up so it has to be a mix of what I can carry in and what I can afford to buy there.

I will never, ever again buy crap food at a festival. I have never understood why so many people buy burgers and crap pizza when you can pay the same for really good noodles or curry, or an extra quid or so and get something really special. I took my son to Reading a few years ago, I had loads of noodle based loveliness and enjoyed every meal, he ate burgers, giant cornish pasties and fish and chips, ending up ditching most of every meal as inedible tosh.

Decent coffee and drinking chocolate. Something for midnight munchies and toast and marmalade for breakfast. Everything else you can buy. Unless you've got decent cooking facilities and a fridge at which point everything changes. We took a calor gas powered fridge last year full of fresh fruit and veg to start. As we ate our way through strawberries and fresh salad it was steadily replaced by cans so we were still drinking cold beer by the end of the fest.

Cans and packets of pot noodles style items are your best bet to be honest!

Last year, I took hot dogs with rolls to cook for the group which went down a treat, tinned haggis that was lovely, Ravioli (which was horrible) and some Ratatoulie for a wee change! However I did come home with a few tins and just handed out my pot noodles as I didnt really fancy them!

Silly stuff like biscuits and chocolates is also a nice wee treat! :)

xx

Tins are a bit heavy for my liking, would rather carry beer than beans. We took some nice steak burgers for a barbie on the wednesday, froze them before we left and they were perfectly chilled by Wednesday lunch time, also had a tub of humous for the first day. Had cereal every morning and plenty snacky things for during the day like crisps, biscuits etc. Took some noodles for emergency rations but never ate them.

Personally I'd got with dried food as much as possible, light to carry and won't get too squashed en route.

When I was shopping the other day I spotted individual portions of porridge, that come packaged like a pot noodle and you just pour the water straight in so may get one or two of those. I also like the look of the packs little brioche rolls that come individually wrapped, quite cheap in Lidl

I've been trying hard to save up for this years Glasto so hopefully I'll be able to buy my main meals and just take snacks from home.

I'm always really impressed by people who bring bbq and yummy meats to festivals, I have never done this due to an irrational fear of food poisoning so always freak out that the meat will go off or summat.

We bring pot noodles and Pringles, wildly adventurous stuff! Might have a think about bringing more this year tho, we spent a disgusting amount on food last year.

I usually take boil in the bag rice, tins of curry etc and the old faithfull pot noodle!A disposable bbq comes in handy( where allowed) and packets of flavoured cous cous.

I also have a Coleman petrol burner/ stove which also doubles as a heater and mess tins from poundland to heat food up and eat out of.

Ypu can also purchase wine kits on ebay for around £40 were you can make youre own wine 23 litres and fill a camel back.if security pulls you say u r a diabetic as they must let you in.

unfortunately i doubt i'll have the luxury of a stove, but as i'm working i can drive onto site so not worried about carrying things. probably bring one of those barbecues now it's been mentioned. ultimately i'd like to have cheap hot meals everyday but without a stove don't know how it could be done. obviously not sure how i'd boil water without a stove so pot noodles are a no go really.

unfortunately i doubt i'll have the luxury of a stove, but as i'm working i can drive onto site so not worried about carrying things. probably bring one of those barbecues now it's been mentioned. ultimately i'd like to have cheap hot meals everyday but without a stove don't know how it could be done. obviously not sure how i'd boil water without a stove so pot noodles are a no go really.

I took my son to Reading a few years ago, I had loads of noodle based loveliness and enjoyed every meal, he ate burgers, giant cornish pasties and fish and chips, ending up ditching most of every meal as inedible tosh.

What kind of coolbox do people use to keep food stuffs/beer chilled for so long? Take the stove to make a brew in the mornings but the idea of being able to cook up a roll and bacon at the tent to go with it sounds magic. I imagine the cheapo efforts from Argos/the supermarkets etc won't keep things like bacon, sausages and butter cold for much more than a couple of days even if frozen beforehand?

What kind of coolbox do people use to keep food stuffs/beer chilled for so long? Take the stove to make a brew in the mornings but the idea of being able to cook up a roll and bacon at the tent to go with it sounds magic. I imagine the cheapo efforts from Argos/the supermarkets etc won't keep things like bacon, sausages and butter cold for much more than a couple of days even if frozen beforehand?

We have an Igloo Maxcold 70, a frozen 5 litre water bottle is still partially frozen on the Monday when we leave. However we are in the campervan fields so don't have to worry about carrying it!! It is our best camping gadget ever and it will never break down!!

http://www.horizonleisure.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=igloo+maxcold

There are loads of threads about them on here, have a search. :)

Anyone looking for a stove could do far worse than taking a gander at http://zenstoves.net

It gives a run down of the various types of stoves available and instructions on how to make them for yourself if you're so inclined. :) The guy who runs the site is clearly a big fan of alcohol stoves though (for the reasons he gives on the site). Personally, I made myself a cat stove for last year as I decided I would only be using it for making coffee and my Swedish Army Trangia was a bit overkill for that - though it's a decent option for anyone who wants the paraphernalia to go along with the stove.

Incidentally, Ebay are introducing quite hefty hikes in fees for business sellers starting in May. If anyone was planning on buying off there they should probably do it before then if price is important to them.

I know this sounds mad, but what i do is take mini boxes of cereal.. and a little plassy bowl, they sell Milk on sit for something like £1.50 for like a litre and hey presto! your saving £20 on brekkie, and maybe more if you like it as the occasional snack :)