2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's laughable people saying The Cure are worthy to headline when they headlined a much smaller festival last year. Bjork and Pendulum also headlined Bestival as well, but there's no way either of them would headline R+L, what's so different about The Cure. I think it's just MB getting lazy, The Cure offered themselves so he said why not. (If it turns out to be true that is).

Also, has anyone entertained the notion that if The Cure are playing, maybe they'll be either 'special guests' or maybe co-headliners like they did last year?

The cure has good songs and everything but there last platinum album was in 1989! 23 years ago! and they only got silver in 2004.

I really do not think they are big enough, especially as they only headlined Bestival last year ( 55,000 capacity at most?). Then again with the right undercard, I am sure there are enough people in Britain, who would be willing to go to R&L to go see them.

I think it's laughable people saying The Cure are worthy to headline when they headlined a much smaller festival last year. Bjork and Pendulum also headlined Bestival as well, but there's no way either of them would headline R+L, what's so different about The Cure. I think it's just MB getting lazy, The Cure offered themselves so he said why not. (If it turns out to be true that is).

Also, has anyone entertained the notion that if The Cure are playing, maybe they'll be either 'special guests' or maybe co-headliners like they did last year?

Edited by Vacant0

That notion has been discussed for several pages - have a read back. The Cure simply don't do anything other than headline, its why they play so few shows in the UK. They're headlining major fests in Europe this year, why would they do otherwise at R&L? A lot of people have already said that they think it very unlikely that The Cure will play but most of those seem to agree that if they do, they'll headline. Personally, lazy is about the last thing I'd call R&L booking the Cure.

That notion has been discussed for several pages - have a read back. The Cure simply don't do anything other than headline, its why they play so few shows in the UK. They're headlining major fests in Europe this year, why would they do otherwise at R&L? A lot of people have already said that they think it very unlikely that The Cure will play but most of those seem to agree that if they do, they'll headline. Personally, lazy is about the last thing I'd call R&L booking the Cure.

I know that people are saying that, but where are they getting that information from? Have the Cure ever said they won't play a festival unless they headline? Or is this just people's opinion?

Anyway, this still doesn't rule out co-headlining. Not that I can see R+L going for that again this year, but they did it last year for Pulp but The Cure are even weaker IMO.

What people have said above about Muse's 2 hours and the Strokes/Pulp co-headlining. I would add to that the fact that Madness had an extended slot for a band playing fifth down, so that takes up all the time on the Saturday. On Friday then 30 Seconds To Mars had longer than sub-headliners usually get (75 mins, practically co-headlined with MCR) and I'm guessing the Offspring got a bit longer than those playing third down usually get?

New Leeds prediction:

FRIDAY

MAIN STAGE

The Cure

The Flaming Lips

You Me At Six

Public Enemy

Rancid

A Day To Remember

Less Than Jake

Silverstein

Cancer Bats

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Two Door Cinema Club

The Wombats

The Drums

Tribes

Flats

SATURDAY

MAIN STAGE

Foo Fighters

The Black Keys

Lostprophets

The Gaslight Anthem

All Time Low

Eagles Of Death Metal

Billy Talent

Twin Atlantic

Airbourne

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Chase & Status

Magnetic Man

The King Blues

Delphic

Azealia Banks

SUNDAY

MAIN STAGE

Kasabian

New Order

Kaiser Chiefs

Vampire Weekend

White Lies

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Naked And Famous

Blood Red Shoes

Girls

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

The Maccabees

The Subways

Yuck

Viva Brother

Metronomy

Difference is a Wembley Stadium gig only costs £50 whereas a R+L costs around £200. Plus everyone who wanted to see them seen them last year.

Kasabian didn't sell particulary well last year I don't think, they were playing Liverpool Echo Arena the other month and you could still get standing tickets 30 minutes before doors opened, even Paramore managed to sell out the Echo Arena.

I'm not saying they're poor headliners and it won't sell out, I'm just saying it's not a definite sell out as people are saying.

I don't think The Cure are that unknown to R+L's demographic. I'm 16 and finishing school this year, and everyone I'm going with (myself included) are very excited to see The Cure (if they do headline), a lot more so than Kasabian! Generally the school leavers that go to festivals have quite informed music knowledge, so I don't think the reaction would be as bad as a lot of people are making out. :)