2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Minchin (and also people like Bill Bailey) do musical comedy, Tencious D do comedic music (of course the use of comedy/comedic is descriptive rather than subjective). That's why Tim Minchin plays on the alternative stage while Tenacious D play on the main stage.

Yes i see the difference (although Tim Minchin has also put out at least two albums of his songs). But the argument was 'it's a music festival, Tenacious D play music, so they should be on the main stage'. I guess when you really boil it down though, a main difference is that Tim Minchin is actually capable of writing some genuinely funny and thought provoking stuff (though not always) whereas Tenacious D write juvenile dross.

Yes i see the difference (although Tim Minchin has also put out at least two albums of his songs). But the argument was 'it's a music festival, Tenacious D play music, so they should be on the main stage'. I guess when you really boil it down though, a main difference is that Tim Minchin is actually capable of writing some genuinely funny and thought provoking stuff (though not always) whereas Tenacious D write juvenile dross.

But the argument was against them playing in the comedy tent, not against them playing all together (and yes, i know this would be highly impractical, although i still don't see the appeal with them), so in essence you were saying that they play music, hence they deserve to be on the main stage.

And i hope next time someone criticises Paramore, you're as quick to jump in with your 'all forms of music should be accepted' rhetoric.

I don't think i've ever said Paramore shouldn't play Reading. I dislike them, but I just wouldn't go see them. I've said many a time they attracted the biggest crowd of the weekend, a crowd who seemed really in to it.

Same with Tenacious D. very popular band, a-list star, rarely toured when they were booked, and was the first booking like it to ever really happen. They draw a massive crowd, and it went down really well. To me that's a great booking.

One plays the opening nme spot and five play the introducing stage on the friday i think (im not sure on the day)

Post War Glamour Girls play the nme spot

and the following five play the intro stage,

Black Moth, Bearfoot Beware, Marsicans, We Were Frontiers, Backyards.

They wouldn't in the current set up, because the alternative tent isn't big enough.

Although trying to differentiate between comedy and music for R&L was made more difficult when The Midnight Beast played the alternative and FR in consecutive years.

Again applying the terms comedy and music to them is purely descriptive.

Edited by mrtourette