Ten Weeks to go so what are we waiting for?

Guest Rebexus

Saw him at Glastonbury - never been convinced, but watched with open mind.

He was brilliant and, in my opinion, perfect for Wychwood.

Doubt whether they're still after that calibre of act at this late stage though.

I should think all the major targets are well 'roped in' by now. with only the

'page fillers' to be added...........

I'm a Wychwood veteran and I just like the risk-taking Wychwood (Dengue Fever, Salsa Celtica, Camera Obscura, Etran Finitawa, Tobias Froberg, Orchestra Baobab, Justin Adams) a lot more than the pedestrian AOR Wychwood (Lightning Seeds, Saw Doctors, Proclaimers etc.). Not much risk-taking this year; we could do with something a bit more interesting rather than more of the same, that's what I meant.

Agree to a certain extent, but I think you'll find it's the 'pedestrian' stuff that sells the tickets - although the three you've bracketed were pretty bland for sure.

(Etran Finitawa a 'risk' ?!?!?!)

Of course they could always book Kula Shaker and Banco de Gaia - who I shout for every year, only to be dashed............

Of course you're absolutely right - the 'pedestrian' stuff does sell tickets and that's why artists like Etran Finitawa are 'risky' in that there's absolutely no guarantee that their addition to the bill will sell any tickets at all. Occasionally the Wychwood guys have got it spectacularly wrong - Dub Collosus as a headliner shifted precisely no extra tickets at all and put in a performance so dull the organisers must have had their heads in their hands. Sometimes though, I felt that decisions were just perfect - a good example would be Fun Lovin' Criminals - their addition to the bill seemed to come out of nowhere and their set was sensational. The real joy for me though is when you REALLY get the sense that the organisers genuinely knew what they were doing and not just resting on their 'Saw / Lightning / Proclaimers' laurels - the first example that comes to mind is Kissmet. And then the Dhol Foundation. And let's not forget how on the ball they were with Duffy too - booking her well before others had cottoned on. I just like it when they have the confidence to book artists who will still have us talking years later rather than those who seem to turn out, pick up the cheque and bugger off (and there are several headliners who fit neatly into that category - Shaun Ryder should still be hanging his head in shame after that 'performance' last year) . Gotta say you are absolutely right about Banco de Gaia too - can't believe that we haven't been treated to him at Wychwood yet (or did I miss something?). Are Loop Guru still going? They would be brilliant too.

I apologise if this is all old hat, but this thread seems to hit on exactly what I’ve been thinking to myself regarding this year’s lineup.

It seems that, broadly speaking, there are two types of booking for the ‘bigger acts’ (at the top of the poster) – a well known popular (indie / pop) act who have sold a few records, usually one that hasn’t released much of any note for a few years, costs a fair bit but who will shift tickets purely on the strength of your average man having heard of them – and then the lesser known worldy stuff which has always been my favourite in previous years.

As times are hard, and tickets MUST be sold, I’m of the view that Wychwood responding to these market forces and are booking more and more of the bland, safer acts. I don’t blame them – huge respect for running the festival as they have – but I wasn’t tempted last year, and it’s quite unlikely that I will be this year. I find it hard to get away from the comparison with other small festivals such as Bearded Theory which cost £50 less and, on balance, have a similar but stronger lineup in my eyes. (and, at 3,000 people is no larger than Wychwood)

Kissmet – brilliant on main stage a few years ago – best act of the day – but really, at £120 quid the overall strength of the music should be stronger than it is. I saw these guys on a flyer for a town carnival which was free entry.

Preparing myself for possible abuse now – I don’t mean to deride all the hard work put in – but I just feel that the festival peaked a few years back – and would love it if Happy Mondays, Beautiful South and the like were avoided in favour of something a bit more inspirational.

I've been going to Wychwood for three years and each year I have always enjoyed the balance between the indie and folk (which are my usual genres of choice) and the world music, which encourages me to try listening to something new. And of course there are also the emerging bands in the BBC introducing stage - last year there was a great mixture of styles on that stage.

Despite your 'usual' overwhelming Wychwood praise Mr.001, today's exclusives leave me even more bemused with the line-up - again, it's a pretty safe mix of the tried and tested and the bland!

BUT, that's only my opinion and I'll still be there, albeit in a vested capacity....

I`ve been lurking this thread for quite a while and thought I would give comment.

Maybe its time for those posters who post up "Get Carter" "Poor Headliners" "Great Line-Up" etc to re-consider why they go to festivals.

Whilst there is something obvious in saying that some go for the music..if you attend any festival on a regualr basis hoping for a line-up to personally die for.. then your ice is thin.

If, on the other hand--you attend Wychwood to be able to crimp one off behind the last flight knowing that some 10yrs prior, the best hurdler of a generation had once jumped... then..and only then will you not be disappointed.

Point is... so f**k who is on? The festival scene is a constantly changing thing. Wych has had its honeymoon...now its a matter of relationship building... which so far, it has achieved in a convincing fashion.

I have been told that I once seen that Dufton lassie, the Blockheeds,The Traveling Band et al... but I cant remember.

If you go to a festival not looking forward to anybody---you will have a ball.

And the ambience of this fest,has,in a short time, got that seemingly essential mix knocked reet on the knapper like.

The saturday with its day-trippers is great--loads of numbers--locals who have never seen a stall with so many hats and who get drunk and clean out the Meze PLatters @ 7 guineas each... the fest needs them.

Yes-- this years line up --for the first time--cannot use the oft-coined adjective of eclectic (thank the Lord God Jesus Christ).

It (seems) is aimed at a paying audience ie one that will coin up for specific "popular" acts.

Nowt wrong in that... you look at similar fests and the fayre they have on offer. Not one festival I have seen so far has a line up which you could call imaginative... and that is probbaly down to the economic climate.

Ther same bands are being trawled over the festie season (Bellowhead are playing 500 festivals this year.. I`ve booked em for my Summer Planting of Sweet Pea Seeds from a Packet Fest 21-23rdJun... £140 they cost!).

In conclusion.. I am so glad I have never really gave a shit who is playing at festivals and have been more concerned at having a bit of fun and good crack thee knaas. aye, an tha

den

denini does have a point, to be fair…

Wychwood, more so than a lot of festivals, will sell tickets and tempt regulars back due to the overall atmosphere of the event. Not everyone’s cuppa tea, that’s for sure, but a very relaxed affair (deckchairs and independent – anybody?).

I guess success and continued longevity is simply about finding a niche, and managing to cater for it – which it seems Wychwood has done, and fair play to them.

I have sometimes wondered whether this makes it one of the less desirables to play, but I imagine if the bookings sorted then the bands will just turn up and give it their best. (I remember seeing The Beat at wychwood and then at endorse it in the same summer and I’d have struggled to believe it was the same band – Endorse-it absolutely rocked, Wychwood was as flat as a pancake).

I wonder what Neville Staple will be like this year - surely the message to Rudy singalong might get the punters out of their deckchairs!!

Anyway, isn’t part of the whole lineup debate for months beforehand simply a bit of escapism from the work related tat on my other monitor? It’ll probably be alright, whatever…..

Actually, I've now seen the light and, starting this season, I will attend Festivals with the sole intention of gettin' pissed as a fart, and standin' with my back to the various stages, oblivious as to whether it's Duffy or just plain DUFF..... who cares about the music, bring on the Lidl Express !

I really enjoyed the line-up last year (my first at Wych) and bought tickets for this year on the way out.

Wasn't all that impressed with the line-up at first but as someone above said it's the smaller more earthy, lesser known bands that make it. The French contingency should make for some interesting listening.

A festival with a Waitrose stall is never going to be all that edgy is it, that's almost a little embarassing - sunday times readers supping Pimms watching a nostalgia trip - But then the atmosphere is friendly and happy and made us want to go back so that counts for more doesn't it?

Actually, I've now seen the light and, starting this season, I will attend Festivals with the sole intention of gettin' pissed as a fart, and standin' with my back to the various stages, oblivious as to whether it's Duffy or just plain DUFF..... who cares about the music, bring on the Lidl Express !

Wrong Denis - I have 3 bottles of Bishop's Finger hidden under a tartan blanket - one more and I'll have more than enough for every day of my Wychwood !

OR, I could just leach off some over-generous (aka LEGLESS) Northerner.

However the Northerner in question (aka Grate Denini) is likely to have his Larmer Buggy

(aka Booze Smuggling Vehicle) - stuffed with Lidl Juice and Jack Daniells - rifled through by fellow day-glo gestapo, before it can traverse the metal/rubber road from the camping areas into the site.......

Edited by marooned

Wrong Denis - I have 3 bottles of Bishop's Finger hidden under a tartan blanket - one more and I'll have more than enough for every day of my Wychwood !

OR, I could just leach off some over-generous (aka LEGLESS) Northerner.

However the Northerner in question (aka Grate Denini) is likely to have his Larmer Buggy

(aka Booze Smuggling Vehicle) - stuffed with Lidl Juice and Jack Daniells - rifled through by fellow day-glo gestapo, before it can traverse the metal/rubber road from the camping areas into the site.......

• 3 weeks later...

Very chilled, lot of families in the day and chairs, great workshops, but after dark the headline disco rounds it off a treat.This will be my 5th time, its a ladies weekend for me and my friends.(I use the word ladies in very loose terms)