£rd Headliner - Place your bets ....

Guest GTG

There is this culture of moaning seeping into festival forums and Facebook walls these days, whether it's due to the self-proclaimed right to respond - everyone talks about the sense of constant anger that pervades the Latitude forums, but look anywhere and you'll see people who seem to believe they have a god-given right to influence a hugely successful festival enterprise's organisation.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The negativity over the headliners is starting to do my nut in! Whilst I myself have stated that I am unimpressed with both Beirut and Mogwai, I've just accepted that they're not to my taste. EOTR haven't dropped the ball at all, they've just picked three artists to headline a festival that has 80-odd other artists on its bill, that just don't appeal to SOME people.

Point taken, I certainly don't think the lineup is bad from an objective point of view, but from my subjective viewpoint, it's not very exciting. I know that people love and respect JN's music, but it's not for me. Stuff like the Walkmen and the Fall doesn't really do it for me, either. There's nothing on the bill that made me jump up shouting "OMG they got x". I guess that's just my bad luck, and it was certainly more than balanced by last year, when I had 4 or 5 of my favourite bands playing.

I know it'll be a good festival and I hope I'll find something new to love - I'm just not seeing it yet.

Comments like this bother me...yes EOTR is amazing and will be great whoever the headliners are, but isn't this overreacting slightly? Several people in this thread have expressed their disappointment and they have every right to do so.

It's not compulsory to love every band that's playing and I don't see anyone here who has been moaning to the point that is suggested above. It's called opinion and everyone is entitled to it.

Some EoTR friendly bands on that lineup, and it's the weekend after...hmmm... (already some cross-over: Mogwai, Caitlin Rose and others).

I assume the EoTR lineup isn't complete? We're still expecting a few more mid-bill acts to be announced?

(Just listening to the Unthanks album, and realising I'd really like to see them now).

Some EoTR friendly bands on that lineup, and it's the weekend after...hmmm... (already some cross-over: Mogwai, Caitlin Rose and others).

I assume the EoTR lineup isn't complete? We're still expecting a few more mid-bill acts to be announced?

(Just listening to the Unthanks album, and realising I'd really like to see them now).

so now we have the three main headliners - beirut, mogwai and joanna - plus on the website 7 other bands in the same size font. can we assume then that these are the big top headliners and the second to last bands on the garden stage. but given that that only accounts for 6 bands, what do we do with the mysterious 7th band? is it likely that one of these will be the thursday night headliner or will that be kept at least slightly secret? i'm intrigued...

so now we have the three main headliners - beirut, mogwai and joanna - plus on the website 7 other bands in the same size font. can we assume then that these are the big top headliners and the second to last bands on the garden stage. but given that that only accounts for 6 bands, what do we do with the mysterious 7th band? is it likely that one of these will be the thursday night headliner or will that be kept at least slightly secret? i'm intrigued...

Bestival Schmestival. Teenage fancy dress party weekend.

The only good thing about Bestial is that, in most years, it's on the same weekend as EOTR so the weighty papers focus on the Rob Da Bank (how did anyone think someone with a name like that was deemed worthy of filling Peel's boots?) and his pantomime fandango for non festival goers and leave EOTR well alone. Otherwise we might find it selling out quicker or, ultimate horror, moving to a larger venue.... :angry: