% in site by....?

Guest danbailey80

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I must be the only person that loathes the new early opening times. Three to four days of Glasto is just about right for me - five to six is just too much for my aging body and brain. It seems to have become something of an endurance test to see who can get in earliest and stay longest. Plus it's such a pain trying to get the extra time off and figure out how to be on site at some ungodly hour of the morning.

Ah well.

Does anyone remeber a thread about the tue eve arrivals / car parks filling up overnight. I can either leave home by about 9pm, get there at midnight and try and get a few hours kip in the car, or try and get some sleep at home (fat chance of that) and get up about 3am in the hope of getting there for 7.

I wonder when the W35/6/8 car parks filled up?

Hoping not to be too far from Gate D as a) old and unfit and B) on my own!!! :unsure:

It is always hard to predict as people's behaviour is constantly evolving with regard to this. There were never so many early arrivals as the last couple of years, I think, with both having contributing factors which had a knock on effect (traffic problems 2009 due to an accident, I believe and the footie/carpark opening last year).

There should be theoretically fewer aiming to arrive for gates open this year as (1) the numbers were swelled by people wanting to watch the football and (2) those same people will likely be put off by last year and realise that you can arrive sensibly throughout the day (and then do so).

Early car park opening helps massively with spreading the load on getting traffic onsite, hence reducing knock on effects on the roads and has sped that part up (2009 lesson learned, result), there are no extenuating circumstances such as annoyingly timed world cups, so theoretically we should all be able to rock up whenever we want and not have too much hassle getting onsite this time around.

I'd be interested to see a similar poll posted this year to compare, just to gauge the effect the footie had.

to add:

Indeed, it has always been gates open wednesday, it's just that where it used to be just the hardcore now it seems to be the majority.

As for car parks filling up, don't stress it at all. We arrived in west car parks at 6am in 2010 and were literally 1 field back from the car park gate (about 150 yards), consider that and no football...et voila, no need to worry.

By 9am you'll have much more of a walk though, its all about the trade off between how close you get to park and how long you wait for gates to open/queue, personally I'll be aiming for around 7am this year, to reduce the waiting time.

I got into the east car park at around 9:00. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get to the gate and then another 1 1/2 hours to find a camping spot!! I hope that was just because of the footy, but I am not convinced!! I am thinking of coming down on the Tuesday night this year!

It's probably just a rumour but i was told that last year that over 100K of people got in before the footy started. I'm not sure if that's right, but we got to Glasto at about 8am and didn't get in and set up until about 2pm. It was definitely more rammed than ever. But I really think that had a lot to do with the footy. That doesn't mean it won't cause a similar push to be there earlier this year, but I suspect a lot of people won't be as fussed.

I think the football encouraged a few more people to arrive earlier than they otherwise would have done, but to be fair people have been arriving on mass earlier and earlier every year.

The main reasons for this seem to be:

1) The Glastonbury Hardcore who just want to get there as soon as possible and get the pary started,

2) Those who want to secure their prefered camping pitches and

3) Those who want to get the full 5/6day value for money.

The weather is also a BIG factor. Scorchio (which it obviously will be) encourages people to arrive earlier and the 'r' word deters some people.

Personally, I fall into all three categories in my list and wouldn't be detered by the weather.

It'd be nice if the gates were a little less congested this year though. I appreciate it is a bit of a logistiocal nightmare getting so many people on to the site but two out of four gates seemed pretty badly organised last year.

I think there’ll be even more there on Wednesday this year. Not sure the footie made a difference. Surely people could have stayed home and watched it and then left for Glastro Thursday morning?

I reckon it’ll be 85% full minimum by Wednesday. Ill be there anyway. :)

My plan of action is to arrive early as usual, but not have a stinking hangover which makes the queuing and lmping stuff about utterly unbearable. I've promised myself no Wednesday morning hangover every year but have failed each time. The excitement just grabs me and makes me want to kick off the party early.

My plan of action is to arrive early as usual, but not have a stinking hangover which makes the queuing and lmping stuff about utterly unbearable. I've promised myself no Wednesday morning hangover every year but have failed each time. The excitement just grabs me and makes me want to kick off the party early.

It's probably just a rumour but i was told that last year that over 100K of people got in before the footy started. I'm not sure if that's right, but we got to Glasto at about 8am and didn't get in and set up until about 2pm. It was definitely more rammed than ever. But I really think that had a lot to do with the footy. That doesn't mean it won't cause a similar push to be there earlier this year, but I suspect a lot of people won't be as fussed.

This is a great thread, me and Norainplease were disscussing this the other day in the car, i reckon the footy has no bearing at all in how busy it was/will be, but she thinks it will and will be significantly less people on site early on the weds this year.

personally i think it will be rammed again weds, as has been said to start the party as early as humanly possible.

GlastoMongrel/Nal, im the same must try and drink less at riflemans this year!!! :D

we parked at 8.30 probably pitched by 11-1130

hope its better this year, just cant see it, lots of people wanting the same thing, but hey once your in, and the first beer is opened :D:D

Edited by Chazeboy