'Staggering'

Guest SPTFRE

The definition of the term 'staggering' may differ from person to person, especially Melvin Benn. One description of the word which I found is: "astonishing: so surprisingly impressive as to stun or overwhelm". I was wondering, which headliners if they were announced would leave you 'staggered'? (Dead musicians not included, before someone mentions Jimi Hendrix, etc.)

I'll start with: Daft Punk, Rage Against The Machine and Jay-Z. Highly unlikely I know, but staggering nonetheless.

Would any promoter be saying anything other than something which suggests he has a great line-up and festival? Nope.

So from that you can pretty much ignore what they say about their line-ups and festival.

It's not like they'd say "we've got average headliners this year, and many people will be disappointed" even if that's what they really thought, would they? :lol:

So you'll find nothing worthwhile out by trying to work out what he's getting at by using the word 'staggering'. It's standard hype, publicity, etc - it's not really anything that means anything.

I take your point, but it's a very bold and dangerous statement to make, using that specific term. One that could backfire in the future, in a competitive industry with the number of festivals around now.

I'm pretty sure that of the names rumoured so far, very few would describe them as 'staggering', certainly not in a positive sense anyway. Muse have toured most venues and played most major festivals in the last five years, The Strokes headlined Isle of Wight and the much smaller Rockness last year and My Chemical Romance, well they're not headlining material, not for Reading anyway. Not inspirational potential bookings in my humble opinion.

I take your point, but it's a very bold and dangerous statement to make, using that specific term. One that could backfire in the future, in a competitive industry with the number of festivals around now.

I'm pretty sure that of the names rumoured so far, very few would describe them as 'staggering', certainly not in a positive sense anyway. Muse have toured most venues and played most major festivals in the last five years, The Strokes headlined Isle of Wight and the much smaller Rockness last year and My Chemical Romance, well they're not headlining material, not for Reading anyway. Not inspirational potential bookings in my humble opinion.

Nobody knows who the headliners are - we can only guess. To dismiss something before it even comes into fruition serves no purpose. In a month's time? 2 months maybe? We'll know for sure then if they're staggering, until then all we can do is say how 'unstaggered' we are by the rumours, which may not reflect on the festival at all.

Why? Melvin makes a statement along similar lines just about every year, in the same way that Michael Eavis says every year's Glastonbury was the best one ever.

It's all subjective anyhow - what one person might think of as 'staggering', another might think of as shit.

Melvin's not taking any risk by making comments like that, he's simply doing what anyone sensible would expect of him. He has a festival to promote, and a part of that is trying to make it sound like you shouldn't miss it.

Nobody knows who the headliners are - we can only guess. To dismiss something before it even comes into fruition serves no purpose. In a month's time? 2 months maybe? We'll know for sure then if they're staggering, until then all we can do is say how 'unstaggered' we are by the rumours, which may not reflect on the festival at all.

I guess you have to get out of the frame of mind of what each of us may personally consider staggering and base it on what the general public may think. If you judge it on our own personal tastes then he's always going to be lying. I'm not a fan of Muse really but I would consider them to be a major signing for th festival because they are a massive band with a lot of fans who will put on a good show. I loathe U2 and I know they won't but if they turned up to headline R&L it would be a staggering booking because of their appeal to the masses and their profile. Personally Carter USM would be a staggering booking for me but I highly doubt that's the sort of band that he's talking about :D

So it's a case of defining what 'staggering' means, I guess.

If it's a case of making people go 'holy f**king shit!' staggering then getting Queen would be something else - especially if they get Freddie Mercury. The ability to ressurect people from the dead would be nothing short of astonishing. Stone Roses reunion? Smiths reunion? That would be staggering.

So it's a case of defining what 'staggering' means, I guess.

If it's a case of making people go 'holy f**king shit!' staggering then getting Queen would be something else - especially if they get Freddie Mercury. The ability to ressurect people from the dead would be nothing short of astonishing. Stone Roses reunion? Smiths reunion? That would be staggering.

The thing is, this forum has quite a few people whose tastes in music lean away from the mainstream. There's not many "typical" R/L-goers on here so to speak.

Your average R/L-goer would probably be excited at the prospect of Muse, The Strokes and MCR. Three modern day bands popular with the younger crowd, who make up a lot of the modern day demographic. That said, I'm only 20 and the only band out of those three I'd see at their own gig is The Strokes. But I'm different to a lot of people my age. :P

I remember a lot of us groaning when the 2009 line-up came out but a fair number of people my age thought it was an amazing line-up.

All about context and perspective. R/L has always appealed to a young audience, even in the glory days of the 90s when bands like Nirvana, Pavement, Smashing Pumpkins, et al would be regulars at the festival.

The thing is, this forum has quite a few people whose tastes in music lean away from the mainstream. There's not many "typical" R/L-goers on here so to speak.

Your average R/L-goer would probably be excited at the prospect of Muse, The Strokes and MCR. Three modern day bands popular with the younger crowd, who make up a lot of the modern day demographic. That said, I'm only 20 and the only band out of those three I'd see at their own gig is The Strokes. But I'm different to a lot of people my age. :P

I remember a lot of us groaning when the 2009 line-up came out but a fair number of people my age thought it was an amazing line-up.

All about context and perspective. R/L has always appealed to a young audience, even in the glory days of the 90s when bands like Nirvana, Pavement, Smashing Pumpkins, et al would be regulars at the festival.