Got any gigs coming up?

spwan-of-the-devil

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Noticed they were playing the academy in dublin? Is that big? How did they go down there. I'm guessing it's much bigger than Brudenell in Leeds. 

Its about 650 people, so similar having googled Brudenell.

Decent gig, enjoyed it without being blown away. Some proper rocking moments though.

21 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Car seat headrest last night at brudenell also impressed me. Would have liked more from teens of style but very good gig all the same. 

You got a ticket in the end then? Great news!! I really enjoyed it, although if I was being super picky I think they could have done a slightly longer encore. Still great though, and I was really impressed by the guitarist.

First time at the venue as well, and really like it. We got down in the pit, in the corner to the left, but with loads of room. Sound and lighting also great, as was all the cheap booze. People are lucky to have a local venue like this.

Usually when I see a band in the months before Glasto I don't have to worry about clashes, as I wouldn't be fussed about seeing them again. Not sure about Car Seat though, could easily be tempted to see them again if they happened to play this year. We shall see.

British Sea Power and Metronomy are now my only pre-Glastonbury gigs.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Yeah  @carlosj here found me a last minute ticket for sale Sunday morning. You weren't far from me then. I was front left but nearly centre.  Didn't get there while halfway through traams but it seemed busier for them where I was, as if a load had upped and left which seemed bizarre.

Agree with that. If I lived nearer, I'd be there at least once a week cos they get loads of new bands in for not very expensive so you could just wander in and if they're not that good, just have a few pints in other room, but getting back is a ballache for me - and expensive if just me and missus. 

Pretty sure they're ruled out for Glastonbury cos of playing in America around the same time.  Back in England in August. 

Converseley, BSP have self confirmed and I can't wait for that. Only pre-Glasto gig I've got booked now is Stewart Lee.

Happy days. Yeah I was in the bar room before Traams and I could see the bouncer ticking loads of people off the guestlist, so I expect they bought loads of fans with them. They were good though, impressive.

Ah that's a shame they won't be Glastonbury again, they had a grim 11am slot last year which ruled me out.

Good news about BSP, I'd missed their self-confirmation. They were cracking when I saw them tour the last album, so fingers crossed for this one as well. Their new record is out on Friday.

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They're playing leeds next Friday but April is a right off expenditure wise for me now. Heard 2 songs off new album - both good. Nothing unexpected, but still decent. 

I forced myself up to Park last year, but was still shaking off Friday night so wasn't really in mood. Which was pretty much the whole crowd. And they only had 30 mins. Was a bit of a non-event really. 

Yeah I think I've heard one of the singles, and thought the same. Will be giving the record a few spins of the weekend before the gig next Thursday. Hopefully the massive bear will be out at the gigs.

Well in that case I'm glad I missed it. There should be rule that only folk/acoustic should be allowed to play in the morning!

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

@FloorFiller how was Thundercat?

It was good but not amazing. The new album isn't as tuneful as his older stuff so didn't come across as well live, and whilst some funky bass jamming was expected, it ended pretty much every song and sometimes outstayed it's welcome. Plus the crowd just didn't seem that arsed which was a shame. Seems like a totally chill guy though and his voice is excellent live.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It was good but not amazing. The new album isn't as tuneful as his older stuff so didn't come across as well live, and whilst some funky bass jamming was expected, it ended pretty much every song and sometimes outstayed it's welcome. Plus the crowd just didn't seem that arsed which was a shame. Seems like a totally chill guy though and his voice is excellent live.

Ah shit, that's a shame. The Guardian gave one of his shows a pretty glowing 4 star review, but also said that it could divide people. I guess with somebody like that it's hard to know when to stop jamming, when that's essentially his thing. What was the band setup like?

I'd still love to see him if he turned up at the farm.

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Ah shit, that's a shame. The Guardian gave one of his shows a pretty glowing 4 star review, but also said that it could divide people. I guess with somebody like that it's hard to know when to stop jamming, when that's essentially his thing. What was the band setup like?

I'd still love to see him if he turned up at the farm.

Don't get me wrong, it was still very good, but after rediscovering Apocalypse and it becoming a musical obsession of mine I built it up in my head too much - it could only ever disappoint a little.

And I may be remembering wrong but I think it was just him, a drummer and a keyboardist, all nailing their respective instruments.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Don't get me wrong, it was still very good, but after rediscovering Apocalypse and it becoming a musical obsession of mine I built it up in my head too much - it could only ever disappoint a little.

And I may be remembering wrong but I think it was just him, a drummer and a keyboardist, all nailing their respective instruments.

Ah OK. I guess that's the problem with acts who have a fluid approach to live performance, when you love the recorded stuff so much. Bet it's great when it all comes together.

Fingers crossed for the farm and a little jazz/funk/hip-hop takeover with BadBadNotGood and Yussef Kamal!

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Its about 650 people, so similar having googled Brudenell.

Decent gig, enjoyed it without being blown away. Some proper rocking moments though.

Academy is more like 800-850 chief.

Enjoyed 'em last night. Decent show for 18 quid.

@big__phil @Scruffylovemonster, so you two were leading the mosh pit then? That's the liveliest I've seen it.  The Brudenell is a great place and does have loads of excellent bands on for not much, kudos to Nathan for what he does. I used to live in Ackworth and drive in, so it is a pain to get there on public transport, but now I'm on the outskirts of Leeds so it's easier.  Jesca Hoop is on tonight, but I've used my pass out this week, especially with 4 nights out last week.

Not sure on what I've got lined up before Glastonbury, but something will turn up. Nick Cave in Manchester in September though, that's a train job I think, I was knackered driving back last week late on.

15 hours ago, carlosj said:

@big__phil @Scruffylovemonster, so you two were leading the mosh pit then? That's the liveliest I've seen it.  The Brudenell is a great place and does have loads of excellent bands on for not much, kudos to Nathan for what he does. I used to live in Ackworth and drive in, so it is a pain to get there on public transport, but now I'm on the outskirts of Leeds so it's easier.  Jesca Hoop is on tonight, but I've used my pass out this week, especially with 4 nights out last week.

Not sure on what I've got lined up before Glastonbury, but something will turn up. Nick Cave in Manchester in September though, that's a train job I think, I was knackered driving back last week late on.

Haha no, but I was providing out-of-tune back up vocals at one point. Yeah it's a hell of a set up, so I'm pleased they're doing well enough to expand. Always nice to have an alternative to O2/Carling rubbish.

It was a bit of a pilgrimage for me as it was the only gig of their tour I could make, despite the 3 hour drive. Worth the weekend away though.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:37 AM, big__phil said:

Holy balls British Sea Power were good last night. If you can see them on this tour (or over the summer) you all should. 

Noted, I'm going to see if I can get a ticket on the door for the Manchester show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Was very close to getting tickets to this. Would be interested to hear your thoughts

It was okay, but dragged down due to things out of the performer's hands - poor sound for a lot of the start and just terrible organisation of the whole thing etc (longest I've ever had to wait in line for a pint in my life). Would've been much better in a different venue/not lumped together with Sound City festival, but still great to hear all those songs live.

• 2 weeks later...

Between now and the end of the year I have Glastonbury, Arcade Fire, World Championship Athletics, Interpol, LCD Soundsystem (hopefully), The National, Ricky Gervais, QOTSA, Wolf Alice, Gorillaz (although I'm trying to sell the tickets) and Chris Rock at the start of next year.

Exciting times.

Edited by Hugh Jass