Got any gigs coming up?

spwan-of-the-devil

• 2 weeks later...

Songhoy Blues in a few weeks but not a lot else. I'll keep an eye out for smaller gigs. Most of the gigs I've seen this year have been in smaller venues. Mark Lanegan, Gaz Coombes, Booker T.

Am completely over spending 80 and 90 quid on tickets to see "greats" roll out the old hits. Seen most of them already anyway.

U2 for example. 100 euro a ticket. Booked flights for me and the missus to Lake Como instead for the same price.

Not that Ive any interest in actually seeing U2 these days - they're dogshit - but when you way up what you could get for this sort of cash.......

lakecomo.jpg

Edited by The Nal

Anyone think that promoters will eventually price themselves out? Or do we reckon enough people will always be idiotic enough to pay it?

U2 sold out 4 nights in Dublin this week in 20 minutes. A lot of the seated tickets were £155. So maybe this is the future. Belfast not sold out but a lot of the same seated tickets are £175. But for bands like U2, people will pay it as typically they're not big music fans. Appealing to the one gig every few years sort of fanbase.

So it would cost £350 to go see them in Belfast with the missus. Not including transport, drinks, food etc. A minimum of £400.

400 fucking quid! Even if I wanted to, I'd feel a right dickhead going to see a band who think its ok to charge their fans that sort of cash. Fuck right off.

Back to opportunity cost, my Dublin to Chicago, New Orleans to Dublin flights a couple of years ago cost £400. I also bought a car for not much more. Which I had for a few years and ran perfectly.

Also, U2 and the like are pulling the ladder up big style. How many kids and students can affords these ticket prices?! The gigs will be full of big event whore one gig a decade stiffs. 

I see Muse are now following U2s lead. 80 quid for a fucking ticket to Muse? Christ.

Edited by The Nal

U2 sold out 4 nights in Dublin this week in 20 minutes. A lot of the seated tickets were £155. So maybe this is the future. Belfast not sold out but a lot of the same seated tickets are £175. But for bands like U2, people will pay it as typically they're not big music fans. Appealing to the one gig every few years sort of fanbase.

So it would cost £350 to go see them in Belfast with the missus. Not including transport, drinks, food etc. A minimum of £400.

400 fucking quid! Even if I wanted to, I'd feel a right dickhead going to see a band who think its ok to charge their fans that sort of cash. Fuck right off.

Back to opportunity cost, my Dublin to Chicago, New Orleans to Dublin flights a couple of years ago cost £400. I also bought a car for not much more. Which I had for a few years and ran perfectly.

Also, U2 and the like are pulling the ladder up big style. How many kids and students can affords these ticket prices?! The gigs will be full of big event whore one gig a decade stiffs. 

I see Muse are now following U2s lead. 80 quid for a fucking ticket to Muse? Christ.

To be fair Nal, I'm seeing U2 in Nov and its £50(? 55 tops) for standing, which isn't amazing but isn't awful for that size of act. Willing to give them another chance after Glastonbury but its more my friends' doing, they've never seen 'em before. Getting flights etc. is something I'd never really do though, as you say that elevates the cost so much more. 

The only acts I'd ever pay above that £50 threshold for, is Cohen and Waits. I can perhaps think of a few others, but not off the top of my head. Neil Young maybe. Unfortunately, the ££££ isn't there at the moment - and that was the problem for the last Leonard Cohen tour - but I hope it will be when they tour again (if they tour again in the case of Waits). 

You're absolutely right re: affordability, but the most worrying thing for me is how that trickles down. £50 for arena size acts, whatever, most of 'em are shit anyway ;) BUT this high pricing also influences academy prices for example, and now I can't even afford many academy gigs because the bastards have increased standing tix from say £20 a few years ago to £30+. I'm sure I heard somebody say on here the other day that Limp Bizkit of all groups were charging £40+ for a gig at the Brixton academy :lol: Its mental.

Its not a case of missing out on the mega gigs I'm worried by (U2 the only one I've been to in the last 5? years, since Springsteen maybe). Its a case of missing out on smaller, medium size gigs which a few years ago I'd have done all the time. I suppose the upside is that it means I spend more money and time supporting smaller venues. 

Edited by GlastoSimon

Agree with most of that yeah (especially Limp Bizkit! FFS!)

However, some of U2s tickets were 35 quid, some were 70 - which appear to be the same type of seats. A lot were well over 100 and a lot were 170 odd. Thats fucking ridiculous. People are still trying to work out what tickets they bought!

U2 aren't a band in the traditional sense anymore and haven't been for a long time. They're a business with interests in the music market. Their last few wet farts of albums have proved that. Keane have more balls.

Id stretch for Waits, purely because thats his only means of making money really. He doesn't sell many records! And his anti commercial stance is superb.

Edited by The Nal

Agree with most of that yeah (especially Limp Bizkit! FFS!)

However, some of U2s tickets were 35 quid, some were 70 - which appear to be the same type of seats. A lot were well over 100 and a lot were 170 odd. Thats fucking ridiculous. People are still trying to work out what tickets they bought!

U2 aren't a band in the traditional sense anymore and haven't been for a long time. They're a business with interests in the music market. Their last few wet farts of albums have proved that. Keane have more balls.

Id stretch for Waits, purely because thats his only means of making money really. He doesn't sell many records! And his anti commercial stance is superb.

Oh yeah, I had to be pretty sure I didn't go and buy tickets over £35/50, the other prices were mental. 

Haven't read that stuff on Waits before, admirable. Amazing how these people can sit around boardroom tables and pick out a Tom Waits song to use though, of all people. 

For me...

Sept - Kid Wave, Chvrches

Oct - John Grant (Rough Trade instore gig), Gaz Coombes, Rockaway Beach weekend (with Johnny Marr, Spiritualized, Public Service Broadcasting), Editors

Nov - Garbage, Mik Artistik, Maccabees, Chvrches (again!)

Dec - Mew

Edited by cdm22