Got any gigs coming up?

spwan-of-the-devil

Just got back. I'm not sure who the support act but it was one guy who did like drone sort of stuff, pretty cool actually.

I don't really know where Godspeed has left me, it was an incredible experience but I was an emotional wreck for a large part of the gig. One of the most surreal live music experiences I've ever had. I'll have to think it over again in the morning I think. One thing I can say though is it was fantastic musically, seriously fucking brilliant. Hope you enjoy them.

Albert Hall is a really great venue, looking forward to seeing SFA and Ride there next month.

Missed the support in the end and got in just in time for Godspeed U.

It was pretty smashing stuff. A thought provoking wall of sound. For whatever reason (most likely my mood) it was very dark for me from start to finish. That, I dont mind. Was surprised, however I did not experience more uplifting moments throughout as I usually do with their music. Maybe it was also the lack of wind instruments, which was something I did note. I was also surprised that there was a lack of their samples and voice overs. I do like those moments in the albums and in previous gigs, so I came away thinking that something was missing. I think I may use the samples to focus a narrative of the mind and their lacking may have contributed to me being slightly all over the place thought wise.............I dont know

Good gig. Exhausting. Probably drank too much.................

I did notice that about the instrumentation as well, seems like they deliberately went dark. That's the first time I've ever seen them - how does this current show rank against their previous ones for you?

My first gig was back in 2002 and it was stuff from LYSFLATH and Yanqui UXO. I was utterly blown away by the gig. It was very very powerful.

I then saw them post the hiatus about 5 years ago so it was before the new albums. It was heavily influenced still by the older stuff, but there was also newer stuff unheard before and a foray into the realms of drone. As I was not familiar with that stuff it made some parts of the gig a lot lets engaging personally than others.

Being exposed to the new album before the most recent gig made it for me. Id say near enough an hours worth of what was played on Saturday was from the new album.

However I was still disappointed with the lack of Gathering Storm or anything off Lift Your Skiny...... for that matter. It was like going to any gig and not hearing any of that acts "classics". I know they have got to move on but one does like to hear the tunes that made you fall in love with an act.............

Albert Hammond in Newport, South Wales next Tuesday. Someone whose music I've known for years but never seen.

Bryan Ferry next month as a direct result of seeing him by chance when he did an excellent set at Glasto last year after I'd walked away after two numbers from Metallica.

Report back please. Seeing them Friday night

Standard Twilight Sad excellence as per. The set did feel a bit short and they were nearly an hour late on stage, but I couldn't fault the show, I was really pleased to have The Wrong Car back on the set list as I thought they'd ditched it. The old songs still sound incendiary, there's a notifiable difference for me, they have a rougher edge and more energy, new stuff is more downbeat an melancholy, but still brings the goods. Bristol crowd was quite tame and I was surprised at how sparse it was, I reckon the Yorkshiremen know how to go mental much more than these Southerners, so you should be in for something special,especially if it's your first time seeing the band. I liked the venue a lot, I've got family here so I'm more than a little bit tempted to come back for ESG playing in May.

Saw Will Butler of Arcade Fire fame last night! Bloody fantastic, some of the songs like Take My Side sound so much better live! The band backing him, looked like they was having so much fun to!

A real shame was the crowd , completely motionless for most of it (even during Anna/Take My Side the majority stool still) think they was hoping for an Arcade Fire song or two. I know its London and all but it was worse than usual!

Also Scala is a shit venue for gigs really, I like it as a club but its another venue that lets to many people beyond the main floor. (Even if I did end up with a fantastic spot). Its set up far more to be a club than a gig venue.

Also a fiver for a can of red stripe >_>

Saw Will Butler of Arcade Fire fame last night! Bloody fantastic, some of the songs like Take My Side sound so much better live! The band backing him, looked like they was having so much fun to!

A real shame was the crowd , completely motionless for most of it (even during Anna/Take My Side the majority stool still) think they was hoping for an Arcade Fire song or two. I know its London and all but it was worse than usual!

Also Scala is a shit venue for gigs really, I like it as a club but its another venue that lets to many people beyond the main floor. (Even if I did end up with a fantastic spot). Its set up far more to be a club than a gig venue.

Also a fiver for a can of red stripe >_>

what was the venue? I havent been in a good london crowd for ages. Queen in the o2 was probably the last time. It went OFF.

edit just seen, scala. The best thing about that place is going for a drink in the flying scotsman beforehand.......

Edited by russycarps

Was at George Clinton Parliament Funkadelic in Glasgow last night. Great scenes. Played for over 2.5 hours and went 10mins through the curfew. Bloke dressed as a swan doing handstands on the speaker stack is something I might consider for West Holts in June.

Guaranteed party with top tunes :)

Reading the chat about venues ( above ) got me thinking about the ABC in Glasgow from last night. Think it`s just under 2000 capacity and even when it`s rammed you can always get a good view, the sound is good and they have a " proper " bar where you never wait long to get served. Decent pubs nearby and although the Barras will probably always be " the " venue in Glasgow, I think the ABC suits me best these days.

ABC is only 1400 capacity for gigs.

Anyway seen recently James Bay, Skinny Lister, Laura Marling.

This week got Flying Lotus tonight and While She Sleeps/Cancer Bats tomorrow.

Then at Brew at the Bog festival this weekend which has a lot of great Scottish acts at it.

Went to see Albert Hammond in Newport last night. Excellent gig. He's got the most astonishing back catalogue, particularly of songs he wrote for other people as well as his own recordings. Now aged 70 he can still hit the notes and tells quite entertaining anecdotes about how the songs came about.

Good backing band too. Worth catching any gigs on the rest of his tour.