singles thread

ampersand

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer, because nightcrawler just chatted to the girl sitting beside him on the train. I don't have the balls to do that, without looking like a creep. A very heartwarming tale though and has cheered me up no end.

It wasn't directed at you, it just seems to me The Singles Thread of old is now dead apart from the odd occasion where it's a post like yours or Lith's.

On the train back from Cardiff a pretty girl sat next to me, we got chatting and she asked if I enjoyed my first trip to Cardiff. I told her I thought the city was great, as you had everything condensed with forests and sea around the corner. She forgot most city people don't get woodland on their doorstep and explained that she was going to Birmingham on friday to see a band, by herself as her friend couldn't go, and she was nervous cause Cardiff is the biggest city she'd been to...

It turns out the band she's seeing is one of my favourites, so i gave her my card and told her to give me a shout if she couldn't move the ticket and I'd be happy to get a train down for the evening. She seemed genuinely pleased with the idea, and we chatted for a bit longer until she had to get off in some Welsh town I can't pronounce :P

So a couple hours later I gather my things to get off the train, quite pleased with myself for getting a lot of uni work done and possibly scoring a date with a pretty girl :)

Then i see, lying on the floor, my business card

:(

My ego deflates, I look around to see if anyone had been analysing the entire exchange and noticed my card as well, of course no one had because no one on a train cares about such things. I walked to work, picked up my bike, and listened to so music to cheer me up.

At midnight I get a text 'Hi Pirate Man! Lovely to meet you today and I'll call you this week about friday, can't wait. Random Train Girl x"

Turns out I dropped one of my business cards I'd been using as a bookmark when i first got on the train, and she still had the one i gave her, so hakuna matata and an exciting friday night ahoy :D

The fickle hand of fate? Nice story, hope the event goes well.

On the train back from Cardiff a pretty girl sat next to me, we got chatting and she asked if I enjoyed my first trip to Cardiff. I told her I thought the city was great, as you had everything condensed with forests and sea around the corner. She forgot most city people don't get woodland on their doorstep and explained that she was going to Birmingham on friday to see a band, by herself as her friend couldn't go, and she was nervous cause Cardiff is the biggest city she'd been to...

It turns out the band she's seeing is one of my favourites, so i gave her my card and told her to give me a shout if she couldn't move the ticket and I'd be happy to get a train down for the evening. She seemed genuinely pleased with the idea, and we chatted for a bit longer until she had to get off in some Welsh town I can't pronounce :P

So a couple hours later I gather my things to get off the train, quite pleased with myself for getting a lot of uni work done and possibly scoring a date with a pretty girl :)

Then i see, lying on the floor, my business card

:(

My ego deflates, I look around to see if anyone had been analysing the entire exchange and noticed my card as well, of course no one had because no one on a train cares about such things. I walked to work, picked up my bike, and listened to so music to cheer me up.

At midnight I get a text 'Hi Pirate Man! Lovely to meet you today and I'll call you this week about friday, can't wait. Random Train Girl x"

Turns out I dropped one of my business cards I'd been using as a bookmark when i first got on the train, and she still had the one i gave her, so hakuna matata and an exciting friday night ahoy :D

brilliant story, hope it's the start of something good.

Glad you enjoyed Cardiff, too.

*sigh*

You know when you do your best to try and forget about someone, push it to the back of your mind, pretty much forget all about them, then your fucking scumbag brain gives you a dream that's like some alternate reality where everything worked out. I feel like shit today because of that very thing.

And apparently the above drove me to the point of madness because i've just caved and sent a text to the girl I was trying to forget, asking her out again. In my defence I did consult an all knowing coin toss before proceeding to do so... Shit, I'm a tool... Although hopefully I won't think so for long and this was actually a good move in disguise as a terrible idea....

And apparently the above drove me to the point of madness because i've just caved and sent a text to the girl I was trying to forget, asking her out again. In my defence I did consult an all knowing coin toss before proceeding to do so... Shit, I'm a tool... Although hopefully I won't think so for long and this was actually a good move in disguise as a terrible idea....

Wouldn't worry about it, the worse outcome is she says no and you don't see her again and that would of happened anyway if you didn't ask her out.

You should have more faith in the all knowing coin toss. It knows what's right and what's wrong.

Wouldn't worry about it, the worse outcome is she says no and you don't see her again and that would of happened anyway if you didn't ask her out.

You're not wrong.

It was a no, so I flat out asked if there was any point me continueing to ask her to do anything or if she'd just prefer I left her alone seeing as she always seemed to be busy when I asked her out. She said she's not sure what it is I'm looking for, and I've laid my cards on the table and not yet received a response, which is fair enough because it's only been an hour and that was some heavy shit.

Whatever happens I feel liberated by doing so, an if it receives a negative response, I'll get drunk for the first time this year tomorrow night and I don't think beyond that I'll be to depressed over this situation anymore, because it's the uncertainty that's been the root of my problems with this girl.

This is a rant, I think I probably just need to get this written down as a sort of cathartic exercise, so never mind me.

So was out with a girl from POF last night, we had been texting for ages. I actually loved the text conversation as well. But when I met her, all she wanted to do was talk about herself. Like, what she was saying was interested (and tbh I'd rather listen to someone than talk about myself) but needless to say there was no chemistry. I'm just so disappointed at the moment. It's like I don't know what else to do.

But it seems to me though that POF is ideal for me for a number of reasons. Meeting girls is a problem for me because in my experience, they just think I'm gay. Especially when I go out to clubs this is a problem. I do normally go out with girls and am not one for moping around the side of the dancefloor. I get girls dancing with me occasionally, but invariably they ask me 'So you're gay yeah.' In other words they arent interested and just want to dance with me because they think I wont make a move on them or see me as a temporary wingman.

Obviously POF takes away this problem, but its also soul destroying. I learnt last night that you can't guage chemistry texting/ messaging online, and that seems to be the currency that makes relationships work. It's a catch 22 situation. I'm 23, havent had a girlfriend since I was 17 and really need to get a move on.

I suppose in short, I need to find a way to meet girls without risking them thinking I'm gay and then seeing me as a friend. But at the same time, I don't want it to look like I'm a creep acting like I'm gay to get close to girls (which I'm not, its just the way I am)

Why do they think you're gay? Is it because you dance with them without following up with a chatup? How do they react when you tell them you're not gay?

Are you sure they're not just trying to find out if you're interested? And ruling out gay/taken?

Why do they think you're gay? Is it because you dance with them without following up with a chatup? How do they react when you tell them you're not gay?

Are you sure they're not just trying to find out if you're interested? And ruling out gay/taken?

In a club, the way I dance. I dont tend to go up and dance with girls anyway. Its more they approach me, I'm assuming thinking I'm gay and not a threat. I get that a lot, even out with clubs, people thinking I'm gay. It only bothers me if it stops girls who might otherwise have been interested, not being interested.

Well the girl a couple of weeks ago, having danced with her, said to me 'please tell me you're gay.' So, in my mind after that, I basically gave up pursuing her. But she stayed with me after I said I wasnt gay and danced with me, hell she even bought me a drink. I really don't know.

Snuffelbutt I think this problem is in your head. Perhaps the girls were never interested in the first place. Perhaps they are and can't believe someone so cool dancing and enjoying himself could be straight (not many men choose to dance for fun, they do it because girls like it and it helps them get close to ones they fancy) perhaps they are just making conversation?

I'd try not to think about it quite so much...

In a club, the way I dance. I dont tend to go up and dance with girls anyway. Its more they approach me, I'm assuming thinking I'm gay and not a threat. I get that a lot, even out with clubs, people thinking I'm gay. It only bothers me if it stops girls who might otherwise have been interested, not being interested.

Well the girl a couple of weeks ago, having danced with her, said to me 'please tell me you're gay.' So, in my mind after that, I basically gave up pursuing her. But she stayed with me after I said I wasnt gay and danced with me, hell she even bought me a drink. I really don't know.

You've got an in, now follow it up! No offence it just sounds like you don't know how to seal the deal otherwise nothing you're doing is wrong.

You've got an in, now follow it up! No offence it just sounds like you don't know how to seal the deal otherwise nothing you're doing is wrong.

this ^^^

The worst that can happen is you don't get a date - so you're not going to be worse off, and have everything to gain.

Sounds like she was just joking about the way you dance, and didn't mean anything more. You could have followed that up with a jokey reply, flattering her. Girls love humour, and flattery. Combine the two and you're onto a winner!

Yeah, thats right, nothing horrendously bad could have happened. I'll definitely give it a go for next time. If nothing else, it has boosted my confidence a bit. It's the whole thing about putting the 'pussy on a pedestal' I think. I'm just scared of being creepy I suppose - but I should just grow a pair.

Oh and thanks guys!

Edited by Snufflebutt

She sounds like a dick.

• 2 weeks later...

My housemate has just got this new boyfriend, who I'd previously thought was gay - well they're not properly going out I don't think but they fuck all the fucking time, he's definitely not gay. Anyway, I heard sex noises a minute ago and planned on going downstairs to the living room to escape them, but then I realised the sex noises were actually coming from the living room. She's well aware that both her housemates are in the house.

I don't really have a point here, just wanted to tell someone about this danger-sex. I actually think it's kind of out of order, the guy is really hairy and now when I sit on the sofa in future I'm not going to know whether his hairy ass sweat and ball juice is still on there.

As far as I know she has never had a boyfriend/fuck buddy, so I sort of wonder if she's aware that having sex in the living room whilst your housemates are in at 8pm on a Sunday night is generally frowned upon.

I need some decent first date ideas, have plans to do "something" at the weekend, but not sure what at the moment. My current thinking is a trip up to London, but I'm not sure what to do in London on a budget of about 30 quid after train fare. Any suggestions?

You could go to a museum or art gallery, some of which are free. Then you can spend the £30 on a meal (not sure how good the meal will be at £15 each though as I don't know London prices).

Or you could take her to an open air ice skating place which would be a very festive thing to do. Not sure if this link will work but here goes;

http://www.londonskaters.com/faq-christmas-outdoor-ice-skating-rinks-london.htm

You could go to a museum or art gallery, some of which are free. Then you can spend the £30 on a meal (not sure how good the meal will be at £15 each though as I don't know London prices).

Or you could take her to an open air ice skating place which would be a very festive thing to do. Not sure if this link will work but here goes;

http://www.londonskaters.com/faq-christmas-outdoor-ice-skating-rinks-london.htm

As decent an idea as that is, I have a dodgy knee that wouldn't allow me to attempt skating. I'm leaning towards the London Aquarium as an option - open til 7 and just within the budget if we arrive after 3. That and a drink afterwards as well should be a pretty nice day out... Right?!