Sziget 2011

Guest kaisherz

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@morland...........haha those were my exact sentiments the first time i went!

all in all another class week. my 4th year, had said beforehand to myself that it might be my last but after all that i think ill be goin for the rest of my life

too tired to write about my highlights now though

I had an absolute blinder. Met alot of Irish people and a few english people! Was a great weekend. Dont think Id stay on site next year though, quite liked having an apartment in the city and being able to do everything. Taxis to and from the festival were like 3500 HUF between 5 of us each time.

Such a great place. Hope u all had as much of a great time as me!

got back yesterday and haven't stopped talkin about it since. i am already planning to go back next year. after doing a flit around a good few festivals this may become my perm festival home!

so many highlights. too many to mention but i'll name a few anyway! prodigy, interpol, judas priest, skunk anansie, the beer, the people, the site, the ball in the pool thing...and the list could go on!

loved the fact we met so many different nationalities there. at some fests, beni for example, there are so many british fest goers it loses a bit of the international fun you get. but this was amazing.

oh the other highlight, the guy with the giant white rabbit head on wandering about! brilliant. oh and another guy dressed as a tree!

roll on sziget 2012!!

this is defintley the best festival i have ever been too! been to 4 this summer (nova rock, open'er, exit and sziget)

sziget has such a different vibe, so many different countries and ages, also how there is no seperation from the camping the the music is awesome, everything is always open, and some of the dance tents/stages are insane.

the karaoke stage/bar is defintley the best bit tho, can sit there drinking for hours(which we did everyday) i was the stupid drunk englishman butchering queen songs thinking i was freddie mercury!

What a week! Definitely one of the best festivals I have ever been to. Even better than last year.

Highlights:

1) Prince. In my all time top 3 gigs. Such a performance so early in the festival.

2) Watching the fireworks/fireshow at the theatre stage on Saturday after a few jazz cigarettes.

3) Meeting some great people in ability park.

4) The Chemical Brothers followed by 2 many djs followed by crazy dancing at the ambient garden til 4 am on the thursday/friday. Met a crazy dutch girl called Karin at the party arena and we had a ball.

5) The National. Matt was extremely drunk but it was still an amazing show.

6) British Sea Power in front of a tiny crowd at the main stage, the only time i made it anywhere near the front row.

7) Supermarket beers outside Auchan in the midday sun.

8) Discovering Palinka for the first time. That stuff seems to make you the happiest drunk alive.

9) Doing a bunjee jump for the first time. Never had a rush like it. Met a nice english man who was on his stag do and his mates were forcing him to do a bunjee jump too, he was freaking out which made me calmer. great night.

10) The belly dancing at the reggae village and my corpulent dutch friend roger joining in.

11) Marlboro Girls. Ax girls. They may have slightly dead eyes but jaysus they are hot.

12) The weather. It rained a bit on monday but after that it just got hotter and sunnier.

13) getting camped near the showers, flushing toilets and under trees.

14) the cashless system. After hearing horror stories of other novel ways of paying at festivals such as Primavera, this ran very smoothly and is testament to the great organisation at sziget.

15) ska cubano at the world stage on a saturday afternoon.

there are prob many more i cant remember right now.

Lows:

not many lows but

1) the bottleneck queues to get on to the island on the monday were a nightmare.

2) losing my sziget card and someone robbing 4000 HUF on me before i realised and cancelled it.

3) some of the hungarian staff at the bars and stalls were, shall we say, less than friendly.

4) queue jumpers. They were everywhere and by the end of the week i irked by this to say the least.

those minor gripes aside I had one of the best weeks of my life. Defo going to try and make it again in 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

better late than never....

yup, another fantastic Sziget was had. planning on making it 5 in a row next year :)

it wasn't the strongest lineup but Pulp were brilliant as were the Manics, Kaisers, Skunk, Kasabian etc... A few surprises as well like Judas Priest who were great and the rock cage thing was good for a late drink as the JD bar has got very stale and hasn't changed its' playlist in 4 years. Having the rock stage outside was a good move as well, certainly justified given it's popularity.

Bring on 2012 :)

Tickets go on sale in December. Last year it was Dec 1 for the Dutchies and a week or so later for the rest, I expect similar dates this year. That's also a reasonable time to book your flight. Last year I paid 165 EUR for a return Amsterdam-Budapest on December 1st.

This year I spent approximately 15000 forint (55 EUR) a day on food and drinks. Always more than you think it will be and still always not that much compared to home.

• 2 weeks later...

what about flights? (UK to Budapest)

The longer you leave booking them do they slowley go up in price or do they stay the same. So if you book a flight in say Jan, is it going to be cheaper than booking it in say April?

I understand Sziget festival tickets dont sell out so if you dont get a ticket staright away theres no need to panic, is that right??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...