Legends of Music

swede

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's great..

where do you find this stuff?

I've an interest in the blues anyway but Youtube is absolutely fantastic. If you look to the right of that Kimbrough video on the recommendations, you'll see Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Jimmy Reed etc. I saw this one because I heard Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys.was producing Dr Johns new album so was listening to the Black Keys on youtube and Junior Kimbrough popped up on the right. Turns out Dan Auerbach was obsessed with him growing up so some Black Keys nerd must have tagged Junior Kimbrough into a Black Keys video and hence it ended up on Efests. :)

Sorry, forgive me for imposing this on the thread, but I think it may be somewhat relevant to some.

So, now I've got that out of the way, I have a question - Do you think its worthwhile buying tickets to see Guns N Roses on their tour this year. I'm aware that they're being inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame and that its understood that the original lineup will be all together for the first time in ages, but there "are no plans to reunite for a tour". Do you reckon this is the case and the tour will consist of Axl and his band of session musicians, or is there a slight chance of Slash, Duff, Izzy etc getting up on stage? Whaddayareckon?

I saw them in 2010 in Dublin (google it, infamous stuff) and it was a proper crazy rock and roll show. Axl bottled off after coming on very late (DISGRACEFUL from the fans. Fucking cringing to be Irish that night), left the stage, walked out on the quays outside the venue, show stopped for an hour, half of the people left thinking the show was over.

Axl had to be persuaded to come back by the promoters, came back and just stood there and sang, and his voice sounded great when he wasn't running around like he was 21.

But there zero chance of the original line up appearing. Duffs band "Loaded" are supporting them and he comes on and plays a few tunes with Axl. Thats as good as you're going to get.

For the record, the new band are great. Ron Thal on lead guitar. Top notch guitar player. But its not the same obviously.

This is about 2 hours after the clip above!

Can't see it myself either. Way too much bad blood between Slash and Axl, plus all of them are keeping active and doing ok on their own projects. (although I actually think Slash would be up for it, I can't imagine Axl letting him anywhere near GnR though). Saying that stranger things have happened

I still think they're worth going to see now. I actually quite like Chinese Democracy, of course its got a load of overblown w*nkery on it, and it actually sounds like it took 15 years to mix, but Axl can still write a fucking tune. There's some great pieces of Rock on that record.

Hmm, just listened to Rocket Queen from the Dublin gig. Sounds great.

Its 60 Euros for a standing ticket and its on a Friday night ... gotta be worth a shot, eh?

If you haven't seen them before and you're a fan then yeah. He does the songs justice now. Unlike when I saw them about 5 years ago and he was shockingly bad.

my step dad had that album, and it was played very very very often.

I loved it at the time, and then I saw the film (again) not long ago, and for all it's hippyness, the crux of the story - which is, we had some crap to get rid of, but the local dump was closed, so we just tipped the crap on the side of the road, and then got busted for it..."oh, the injustice of us lovely, caring creatures getting busted by the evil fuzz for such a petty crime" - is laughingly un-sound

thought I'd share... ;)

the film is (possibly) a bit better than I've portrayed... the clips of Arlo with his dying dad... ?

Haven't seen the film (yet). I'm new to Arlo, had the album for a while on the back of a Woody binge, but only just dug it out again recently.

I checked that out 30 years ago. :P

You were a late comer so!

Its class though. He tours but doesn't play it as far as I know.

The entire Alan Lomax sound recordings are now online. Literally nothing has be left off - songs, outtakes, interviews, coughs, static, mic checks etc all in there. Every single piece of sound he ever recorded.

17,400 audio files! :O

Listening to songs from Mississippi Prison in 1947 at the moment. "No more my Lord" as sung by "unidentified prisoners".

Tune.

when that came out, it was about the only thing I played for weeks and weeks...

just reminded me...

It's an album I've probably listened to once every week or two since it came out. Stunning album.

Just got a David Byrne email, about his latest recording - "London's tempo is 122.86 beats per minute".

It's defo worth checking out, here:-

http://www.aroomforl...012-david-byrne

Some of his stuff is nearly more an "installation" than a song isn't it? Its like art gallery music. And not in the "lets use Bach for everything" way either. In the good, interesting way I mean.

Couldn't imagine why he'd get back up there and bang out Psycho Killer at this stage.

Its that time of night.

Some of his stuff is nearly more an "installation" than a song isn't it? Its like art gallery music. And not in the "lets use Bach for everything" way either. In the good, interesting way I mean.

I'd run a mile from art gallery music - which is what I expected it to be when I hit play, as Byrne has a liking for that sort of stuff.

I thought it was something that had a fair bit more than that. It's more in the style of dance music's use of samples I'd say, where a new piece of music is created from those samples.

I'm not thinking that it's the best piece of music ever created or anything, but I thought it interesting enough to post here which I wouldn't have done with an standard art gallery piece.

Couldn't imagine why he'd get back up there and bang out Psycho Killer at this stage.

Byrne seems to have got more relaxed about playing his Talking Heads stuff over the last 15-ish years. There was a while after TH ended that he avoided nearly all of it, or if he did play it he'd re-work it in some way - there's about a million different versions of Psycho Killer he's done over the years for example (including while TH were still going), and in the late nineties he was doing a fantastic raved-up version of 'I Zimbra'.

But his last tour of the UK - a few years back now - was billed as 'the songs of Byrne & Eno' which had him playing near-original versions of many of the very best TH songs (which were produced by Eno on those TH albums), along with some of the stuff from his two albums with Eno, and one or two nothing-to-do-with-Eno TH songs too.

From his normal touring schedules I'd expect him back on the road within the next year or so - and he's always fantastic. If you get the chance, go see him. :)