Sunday night! Fires

Guest Hayles

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Security shouldn't be putting out bbqs, its only fires over a certain size that were banned last year. I never personally had an issue with that, kept our fire at a reasonable size every night including sunday and never had it put out. I'm sure they will make mistakes i.e. put out fires quickly without checking very well, but at the end of the day security are messed around alot on sunday and its for everyones safety that large fires are tackled.

Edit - see you were at reading. they're banned there completely on sunday, not quite sure why when they're not at leeds. But yeah it is the rules so why would you not expect them to put it out?

Edited by farmer_andy

BBQ's are included in the rules apparently. 1 set of ghostbusters said it was fine then another set put it out.

If someone can get a gas cannister in the festival, decide to throw it on the fire purely so it blows up in our faces, weave through the tents with a gas cannister and throw it on the fire before I or one of my friends can stop them I'd be mightily impressed. Thats just not a realistic situation is it?

I didn't think it was much better last year, I actually felt it completely ruined the camp atmosphere on the sunday, everyone was pretty miserable, no one exactly felt like partying with the lack of heat/ light. In purple/ yellow there was still a bunch of 12 year old w*nkers causing unneccasary trouble because it's their first time away from mum and they've had half a shandy, really wasn't much better.

Edited by Mega Ross

I didn't think it was much better last year, I actually felt it completely ruined the camp atmosphere on the sunday, everyone was pretty miserable, no one exactly felt like partying with the lack of heat/ light.

Edited by Paul ™

And the quiet, under control fires can easily turn into mad, out of control fires.. it is far easier to spot a fire when there isn't many about.

I worked in Orange Campsite at Reading and it worked well.. the people working could focus on their roles properly and more effectively :)

The fact of the matter is this is the rule they've brought in. We can argue all day if it's right or wrong butr they seem to think it works and It won't be getting changed anytime soon.

Well it was a lot better, safer and more enjoyable all round at Reading.. so if people can't enjoy themselves without fires then they should maybe question themselves, and not the rules enforced.

Plenty other festivals have no fires at them, does that mean everyone is miserable and not partying?

If we never talked about anything nothing would ever get done. Thats a stupid way to look at things "Oh well theres nothing I could do so lets just ignore the fact we're being f**ked"

No it wasn't, it was a lot more miserable and boring, no heat or light = sitting around under a gazebo in the dark drinking in the freezing cold, who is honestly gonna be in the mood to have fun when they are freezing their bollocks off and starving because they can't cook anything.

Most of the festivals which don't allow fires are in warmer months so you don't need them as much.

Safer? If you think you're in danger then you need to re evaluate your life. Oh no, dangerous 12 year olds, the "angry" mob is all kids, they're harmless.

If we never talked about anything nothing would ever get done. Thats a stupid way to look at things "Oh well theres nothing I could do so lets just ignore the fact we're being f**ked"

Safer? If you think you're in danger then you need to re evaluate your life. Oh no, dangerous 12 year olds, the "angry" mob is all kids, they're harmless.

It's so, so easy to keep a fire under control. The fires that are out of control are started by people wanting to be reckless, a small fire is just for the warmth. Fair enough, the system works but my experience of it last year was that the security were completely over the top with the whole thing and seemed to be aggressive when people were not retaliating. I know they are just doing their job but they seemed extremely OTT. The fact that there was police around (not always in sight but everyone had heard and seen much more police than previous years) helped with keeping things under control in itself.

If you get close enough to the trouble to lose an eye, or you're involved in it. Then it's your own fault really.

I'd like to see a load of kids rip my tent off the ground and chuck it on a fire.

If you let it happen it's yourself to blame I'm afraid, chuck yourself in your tent and don't let them move it. They're idiots but they aren't stupid enough to throw someone on a fire or torch them alive.

And as always, don't leave stuff back at the camp which you aren't prepared to lose.

And it's not exactly difficult to spot an out of control fire for the CAT.

Or just let the barbecue be, it's not causing any trouble is it? It's cooking our bacon.

I don't see it as an effective way to control the troublemakers, just a massive inconvinience to festival goers.

Edited by Mega Ross

If you get close enough to the trouble to lose an eye, or you're involved in it. Then it's your own fault really.

I'd like to see a load of kids rip my tent off the ground and chuck it on a fire.

If you let it happen it's yourself to blame I'm afraid, chuck yourself in your tent and don't let them move it. They're idiots but they aren't stupid enough to throw someone on a fire or torch them alive.

And as always, don't leave stuff back at the camp which you aren't prepared to lose.

And it's not exactly difficult to spot an out of control fire for the CAT.

Or just let the barbecue be, it's not causing any trouble is it? It's cooking our bacon.

I don't see it as an effective way to control the troublemakers, just a massive inconvinience to festival goers.

How on earth is it a massive inconvenience? I've been to T In The Park loads of times and fires are completely banned their and everyone gets on quite fine and I can assure you it's alot colder up here than in reading or Leeds.

As for saying if you get something blowing up in your face then it's your own fault, have you ever seen these things explode? They can fire off quite a distance at great speed, you could easily be passing and get injured.

Also it's fine for you to say you could stop people throwing your stuff on a fire but what if you're a couple of girls? Would they be able to stop a gang of pissed up blokes intent on burning someones stuff?

I'm sorry but you're coming across as being very selfish. It's not about the safety and well being of others it's all about you being inconvenienced. I would love for everyone to be able to have a fire on the last night but it's been proven that they can't and I can't see the organisers changing their mind anytime soon.

Edited by Mega Ross

It's a massive inconvienience because you do not have a reasonable source of light, heat or a way to cook food back at camp. Just because T in the park has a ban doesn't make it not inconvinient. You'd plan for being cold at night up there anyway, in reading I bring the clothes I'm wearing and a few pairs of socks, I don't bring half a wardrobe to put on at night.

You don't know what you're missing out on clearly else you'd get where I'm coming from.

Well on the day someone manages to smuggle in a gas cannister, erect a massive fire and throw it on there maming someone who stayed well out of the way of the trouble. Then you'll have prooved my wrong, it's not exactly likely though especially with the ban on gas cannisters. Who's really going to bring gas cannisters for blowing up on the sunday? You can't use a gas camping stove any more.

What are you a sexist? The girls I go with could easily stop that. Like I say, chuck yourself in there and don't move. If you're 2 girls who cannot stand up for yourself and you went to Reading alone, you're either very naive camping in a rowdy area or you took the risk.

It's not selfish, it's me speaking out against a pointless new rule they've brought in which seriously inconviniences me and many other festival goers without actually providing much in the way of safety. If they couldn't control this angry mob before they don't have any more control now, all it does is inconvinience regular festival goers who want to have a small fire back at camp or a barbecue.

Realistically barbecues don't pose any threat to your fellow festival goers at all, why not let people at least have them? Pretty sure solid fuel stoves are banned as well.

I'm fed up of repeatedly telling you the inconvinience outweighs the minor safety factor, if you actually learned to read you might have gotten some of that through your thick skull.

Now, I'm gonna put it in a simple equation.

-1 Fire = 2000 inconvienince + 1 safety

If you take negative fire and it equals 2 inconvienience, the inconvieniece wildly outweighs the minor safety aspect you get from banning fires.

It's another stupid rule bought in by FR just because they can.

Oh and you're damn right I'm gonna try and have our usual kneeheight fire on sunday this year, last year we didn't, we had a small barbecue going but seeing as security were c**ts I'll have a fire instead, I'm paying £220 to go I'll light a small fire for my group if I want to.

Edited by Mega Ross

I'm fed up of repeatedly telling you the inconvinience outweighs the minor safety factor, if you actually learned to read you might have gotten some of that through your thick skull.

Now, I'm gonna put it in a simple equation.

-1 Fire = 2000 inconvienince + 1 safety

If you take negative fire and it equals 2 inconvienience, the inconvieniece wildly outweighs the minor safety aspect you get from banning fires.

It's another stupid rule bought in by FR just because they can.

Oh and you're damn right I'm gonna try and have our usual kneeheight fire on sunday this year, last year we didn't, we had a small barbecue going but seeing as security were c**ts I'll have a fire instead, I'm paying £220 to go I'll light a small fire for my group if I want to.