Too Many w*nkers?

Guest Dave The Hedgehog

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny because I was thinking how good the crowd seemed this year and how few w*nkers there were around. But maybe a few factors allowed me to make this decision

1) I camped in Brown, where people were pretty cool and plus you don't get people walking through.

2) I didn't hang around the campsite much, I was pretty much straight in the arena from 12pm and watching bands all day then once they had finshed I went stright to bed, didnt hang around any campsite discos and stuff.

3) Sunday night I stayed in a hotel.

So Sounds like camping in brown, and getting the shuttle bus to a hotel in leeds on the sunday night seems like the way forward for a w*nker free weekend :)

I didn't come across too many w*nkers but I have to say that whenever I did they seemed to be in groups of 4 or 5, about 16-18, wearing school leavers hoodies.

I don't know if it's because they think that for one weekend only they can act like they're living in an episode of Skins, but their patter is just fucking honking.

By far, the soundest group of people at the festival, or certainly the most friendly I've encountered the last two years have been ageing punks and rockers. Happy to listen to your recommendations of good bands and happy to tell anecdotes of their (usually colourful) gigging and festivalling past.

I often wonder if I go to a different festival to everyone else when I read a lot of the comments on here! I did stay in a quieter campsite(green), but there were far more idiots and bad behaviour when I first started going(2002)

There are more people who don't seem to know too many of the Bands that aren't constantly on the music channels and the crowds seem a little less enthusiastic for the bands, but oh well.

It also seemed to me that there were quite a lot of old people there this year too! Granted the majority are very young, but that's the age you start going to festivals and all your friends can go because you don't all have jobs.

We made friends with the girls who camped next to us and helped them set up and carry their stuff from the car and hung out with two other groups camped next to us too.

I never have any problems sleeping at the festival and have never had any problems with security.......the only problem I had with them this year was one of them waking me at 5am to inform us that he could see a camera in the porch of one of our tents and recommending we hide it so it doesn't get stolen!

I had a thoroughly enjoyable festival and the only reason I think I won't be going next year is that there are less and less of my mates who want/are generally able to go and we want to experience glasto.

Anyone sorry that you all had such bad experiences, but I thought I'd just add a relatively positive comment!

The one bad note was that I did see my first punch-up at the festival this year, but it was very brief and I'm more surprised I haven't seen it before with all the crowds and alchohol fuelled groups of guys!

As has been said - Leeds has had an interesting set of punters for a good few years now but how much you interact with or get effected by these people can be controlled. We sleep in Brown which gives us the ability to have a beer around a fire when we get back, chill out and generally fall asleep. People are generally friendly and yes there can be a bit of noise but not much. We were wearing sequin jackets for the weekend and attracted some interesting characters that made the weekend funny at times. We were in a reasonably large group (with older and larger people) which I think helps keep the young kids away. We did walk through orange camp to take stuff back to the car on Sunday and it it make me remember why I would never camp there (and dont think I would even when younger). The place is made and as you say full of idiots. we just do our best to avoid the places where trouble happens and have always had a great time.

See, I wouldn't consider myself an older person (though in comparison to a lot of Leeds attendees I would) and I certainly wouldn't regard myself as being boring but I think as you get older there comes a time when you have to take the multi-coloured tractor back to the toy corner and get stuck into a book. There comes a point where you need to relax and chill out for a bit, even if it's for a few hours - and unfortunately being where we were, we just couldn't do it.

Brown might be a consideration for the future but personally I'd enjoy the camping aspect of it a lot more if I didn't have to put up with the people around me. I'm sure there were a lot of bright and lovely people but we didn't encounter any of them in the campsites we scoped out.

I said this in another post... but I'll say it here as well

Most of the w*nkers that I met (which weren't that many at all...) where all 20+.

I was camped in the border between Red and Blue down the Oxfam tent road, and was camped around 3 groups of 16-18 year olds, and most of the time, I came back from the music, and each group was around a small, wood fire chatting and drinking beer.

Then, on Sunday morning, my group of 3 got up, and looked around, and they where all just packing away their tents and getting ready to go, saying how they would be at the back of mainstage for most of the day, looking after their stuff to leave that night.

Sunday night, after we had decided to do shifts to make sure nothing was ruined, by about 2am we realised nothing was happening and we all went to sleep. By 6am on Monday morning when we got up, our tents looked like a small island in a sea of rubbish.

Then we heard from out other friends, who where in Orange, that about 20 metres away from them, a group of like 20-24 year olds, where just setting everything on fire they could see...

I've been to nealry every Leeds and it is full of w*nkers, but personally I've never had a problem in 11 times being there. I'm not a big guy so it's not as if people are scared of me. I don't know, sadly some people obviously have bad luck with these things.

But lets not just think that this is a Leeds fest problem. The dickheads at Leeds are for the large part harmless, they'll be abusive but wouldn't actually do anything and would probably shit it if you had a go. Where as at T In The Park has a very strong undercurrent of violence. If you look at someone the wrong way you could get beaten or even stabbed.

Leeds fest is far from perfect but It's not as bad as some think and you get the same issues at alot of other big fests, sadly this is what happens when you get that many drunk people in one place.

Well apart from Glastonbury, everyones nice at Glastonbury.:D

Camped in blue as we always do on the main path, not a problem. Made loads of mates, plenty of who we have kept in touch with. We never have problems as to be honest nobody picks a fight with 20 or so scousers, but on the last night me and one of the other lads were back at the camp before GnR were going to play, and behind our tents there was a bit of a clearing as people had left. There were a group of girls who were camped there who were trying to start a campfire to keep warm until they left. Couple of lads were there as well trying to burn stuff on it, putting discarded sleeping bags on etc. I went over and put it out, and asked them what they were doing and where they were camped. Turned out they were from a different campsite altogether. I told them in no uncertain terms that if I saw them again that night, fires or no fires, I'd knock the pair of them out. Funnily enough, didn't see either of them and the rest of the night passed without incident.

I've been to nealry every Leeds and it is full of w*nkers, but personally I've never had a problem in 11 times being there. I'm not a big guy so it's not as if people are scared of me. I don't know, sadly some people obviously have bad luck with these things.

But lets not just think that this is a Leeds fest problem. The dickheads at Leeds are for the large part harmless, they'll be abusive but wouldn't actually do anything and would probably shit it if you had a go. Where as at T In The Park has a very strong undercurrent of violence. If you look at someone the wrong way you could get beaten or even stabbed.

Leeds fest is far from perfect but It's not as bad as some think and you get the same issues at alot of other big fests, sadly this is what happens when you get that many drunk people in one place.

Well apart from Glastonbury, everyones nice at Glastonbury.:D

Camped in blue as we always do on the main path, not a problem. Made loads of mates, plenty of who we have kept in touch with. We never have problems as to be honest nobody picks a fight with 20 or so scousers, but on the last night me and one of the other lads were back at the camp before GnR were going to play, and behind our tents there was a bit of a clearing as people had left. There were a group of girls who were camped there who were trying to start a campfire to keep warm until they left. Couple of lads were there as well trying to burn stuff on it, putting discarded sleeping bags on etc. I went over and put it out, and asked them what they were doing and where they were camped. Turned out they were from a different campsite altogether. I told them in no uncertain terms that if I saw them again that night, fires or no fires, I'd knock the pair of them out. Funnily enough, didn't see either of them and the rest of the night passed without incident.

Edited by Huwbacca

No mate, didn't have a gazebo.

Got to say as well which I didn't earlier on, anyone who thought that was a bad night must have only been going for the last two or three years. The last time it genuinely kicked off was the last year of the "robocop" security, which was probably about 2005? I don't know, the years all blend together now really. Since they brought the CATs in things have been generally a lot more chilled. There will always be the odd person who wants to kick off. I don't mind it happening by me cos I'm big and ugly enough to tell them to f**k off, and put a stop to it. I imagine it could be intimidating to younger kids though.

No mate, didn't have a gazebo.

Got to say as well which I didn't earlier on, anyone who thought that was a bad night must have only been going for the last two or three years. The last time it genuinely kicked off was the last year of the "robocop" security, which was probably about 2005? I don't know, the years all blend together now really. Since they brought the CATs in things have been generally a lot more chilled. There will always be the odd person who wants to kick off. I don't mind it happening by me cos I'm big and ugly enough to tell them to f**k off, and put a stop to it. I imagine it could be intimidating to younger kids though.

An idea perhaps for next year would be for an e fest camp. Somewhere where anyone can camp and all keep an eye out for eachother. Just an idea as there is alot of small groups going together. I guess we'll see who goes next year.

Edited by _rachelbon