Was the choice of main stage headliners a fail of epic proportions

Guest neatneatneat

So, it's all over for another year and, before this begins, I need to state that this is absolutely independent of any of my personal musical tastes but I really do believe that they completely misjudged the (potential) audience this year as far as headliners are concerned:

Friday – Queens of The Stone Age drew a pretty substantial crowd and even before the" will they – won't they" rumours started about GnR, people were leaving the Main Stage area and, indeed, the arena itself. Whilst Axl's antics obviously had something to do with the mass exodus, I think most people realised they had seen the best show of the day and voted with their feet. Turned out that Alkaline Trio had sound problems which meant most of the Lock Up crowd was leaving too.

Saturday – As predicted, a huge crowd gathered for The Libertines only to disappear like an ebbing tide as soon as the last kiss between Carl and Pete was over. The Arcade Fire, who were polished, played to the smallest Main Stage crowd I have ever witnessed (This was my 8th Reading). Even Win Butler couldn't understand what they were doing there. "Look, we've never had a hit song, so I don't know what the f**k we're doing here, but until someone comes with a hook we're going to stay." There set was good but they didn't justify a headline slot. Meanwhile, Pendulum were playing to probably one of the biggest crowds the NME Tent has ever witnessed which, according to friends that were there, at best, bordered on being dangerous.

Sunday – Paramore, every teenage girls dream band, played to a huge crowd which, again depleted massively before the arrival of Blink 182. I stand to be corrected here as I left the main stage at that point but I would be surprised if they drew as big a crowd as Paramore.

I think most could have predicted this but Melvin so proudly announced the Line Up that it didn't appear that he could see what was plain to everybody else but him.

Headliners don't matter all that much to me and I had the usual brilliant time I always have at Reading (I already have my 2011 tickets just to show that this isn't sour grapes) but they really need to think long and hard for next year (Hopefully some really big bands will be on the road again – Foos, Muse, Radiohead blah blah).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went with 9 other mates, all of whom wanted to watch Blink-182, I wasn't too fussed so opted for Roots Manuva in the Dance Tent.

However I caught the first 15 mins of Blink as RM weren't on till 10.30pm. I battled my way out and it looked pretty packed to me (was on the left hand side of the stage)

RM was practically empty, and half way though I left to go to the toilet, passed the Klaxons in the R1 tent and that was nowhere near as busy as Pendulum had been the previous night.

I think most could have predicted this but Melvin so proudly announced the Line Up that it didn't appear that he could see what was plain to everybody else but him.

Firstly, Melvin wouldn't have ever said anything else. When was the last time you heard a festie organiser saying "our headliners won't work"? ;)

But that aside, there's a part of things this year that wouldn't have necessarily been so easy to predict - and that's the teenager influx (particularly girls) that's been seen at very many festivals this summer. There's been a noticable change in the audience demographic of a lot of festivals.

And that increased number of youngsters aren't going to be so attracted by the older and less current acts, and by the non-chart acts.

I thought it was interesting that the crowd spread wasn't even in front of the main stage. Looking out from the stage the left side was often rammed to well behind the mixing desk often back as far as the second ice cream van, however the right hand of the stage was often pretty empty, at the same time it would often end parallel to the sound desk with people then sitting on chairs and quite spaced out heading towards Festival Republic.

I can only think this is due to people coming out of the backstage area through the gate to the far left and just staying there, either that or crowds just moving from the Lock Up and back.

Edited by 5co77ie

I'd argue that Blink were the only worthwhile headliner, what with Guns messing around with everything they touch and arcade fire being irrelevant to all but the most indie scene character. But its not really about headliners. Arcade fire were a last minute replacement if I remember correctly as MCR pulled out right at the last minute of confirming the headliners to the public.

I dont see why people are only satisified if either Cold Play, Foos Muse Radiohead play tho, Thats all i hear these days. give other bands a chance, Id have loved to See Rammstein up there tho, along with a bit of SOAD.

Edited by choadus

woaahhh WAIT A MINUTE

as you most have said, you dont think arcade fire deserved it, but you didnt even see them! They more than proved their worth that night, one of the best gigs ive been to, they played a blinder, still sounds and looks amazing watching it back, most of my friends went to see pendulum but all agreed that arcade fire sounded amazing when watching them back.

Also blink was completely rammed, and again a damn amazing gig (though watching it back they did seem a bit shit, but the atmosphere at the time was one of the best ive ever experienced...

I do agree about the audience switch, im only 20, and been going to reading since i was 16, but i felt old as hell, all these kids going to see klaxons and paramore and starting mosh pits just for the hell of it (genuinely witnessed a pit still going on after the music had stopped, seriously kids....), also what the hell happened to the bollocks chants, turned into random screams cos all these young uns didnt know what was going on.....made me feel sad that the reading i know and loved is slowly dying out, but that said, I had one of my best readings, a really amazing time, and the headliners i thought were pretty damn good! I did agree beforehand that arcade shouldn't have been headlining, but they definately proved there worth that night!

as for Guns n roses, i was a massive fan and im still not sure what to think of what i saw.....the hour and a half standing around definately ruined it for me im afraid....

Blink's crowd was far bigger than paramore's, arcade fire played a great set, pendulum just attract a large audience, guns n roses have only themselves to blame, had they respected the audience they'd have gotten more credit. I think people always think the audiences are getting younger because they themselves are getting older :P Seemed pretty standard to me.

Well I watched footage of GnR doing welcome to the jungle on iplayer last night, and it was f**king hilarious. Axl should be ashamed of himself, he was so out of breath it was unbelievable. The band were pretty tight, but Ive seen GnR tribute singers better. His voice is f**ked.

Well I watched footage of GnR doing welcome to the jungle on iplayer last night, and it was f**king hilarious. Axl should be ashamed of himself, he was so out of breath it was unbelievable. The band were pretty tight, but Ive seen GnR tribute singers better. His voice is f**ked.

Sunday – Paramore, every teenage girls dream band, played to a huge crowd which, again depleted massively before the arrival of Blink 182. I stand to be corrected here as I left the main stage at that point but I would be surprised if they drew as big a crowd as Paramore.

Headliners don't matter all that much to me and I had the usual brilliant time I always have at Reading (I already have my 2011 tickets just to show that this isn't sour grapes) but they really need to think long and hard for next year (Hopefully some really big bands will be on the road again – Foos, Muse, Radiohead blah blah).

for people who say Arcade Fire didnt deserve the slot clearly didnt go to see them or have never heard of them

musically outstanding

reliable band

number 1 album - clearly popular enough (blink havent had a number 1 before!)

suitable for a festival with their songs

i loved them and all three of their albums are amazing, would be stupid to see pendulum over them

1) GnR do not have themselves to blame, they have Axl Rose to blame. He is such an idiot. Heard that when he played Dublin 2 days ago he turned up an hour late as well, bottled off stage, came back on, eventually finishing at 1am! I mean WHAT THE HELL?! It's not GnR anymore, it's just Roses. Melvin Benn had to extend the license to midnight at reading so that GnR could play more, and they got fined at Leeds. Don't need to say anything else.

2) In reference to the crowd size to Blink 182, they probably had the biggest crowd of the weekend only second to the Libertines, which was expected. There was a huge crowd for Paramore (annoyingly full of 14 year old scene kids or teenage girls screaming), but none of that left for Blink. I was a good couple rows from the front and everybody stayed where they were. My logic goes to suggest that people did like Paramore, but they were there for Blink.

3) Yes, Arcade Fire had the smallest headliner crowd, doesn't mean that they weren't worthy to headline. They are massive in other countries, especially the USA. Their latest album has been given the brilliant reviews by everyone, even compared to Radiohead's OK Computer. Plus, as someone quite rightly put, it got to number 1. In terms of musicianship, they were the best of the 3 headliners. Absolutely brilliant set, awesome live show (always swapping instruments, set design, light shows etc). Deserved it much more than the Libertines to headline, who did perform well, but were too much of a gamble, and could never headline a main stage if Arcade Fire were to be on. Though one thing I had to admit, never have seen so many leave in my life after the Libertines finished, even managed myself to make it down to the barrier! :P

Plus, Pendulum only drew a big crowd because everybody has heard of Pendulum, especially Chavs. They appeal to a wider taste, but put them on a outdoor stage, they are terrible from past experience. Though from what the majority have said, they were brilliant in the tent, so I'll give them that credit.

/index.php?showtopic=153285&st=20">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=153285&st=20

For anyone who didn't believe Arcade Fire didn't put on a good set.