Who was your.........

Guest Joe-

Favourite Act:

Biggest let down

Best find (band wise):

Best moment of SS'10?

I loved the weekend, was really intimate and relaxed (apart from the huge amounts of chavs for tinchy) and some gangstas trying to start a fight with my mate. Stornoway singer Brian was camping just a few camper vans away, that was a great suprise.

Favourite- WITHOUT A DOUBT....... THE LOW ANTHEM. Such an amazing set, nearly had me in tears......

Biggest let down- The Invisible, really dragged on and I had no idea what song they were playing.

Best find- I'd listened to them before but Erland and the carnival were so good

best moment- MEETING LOW ANTHEM :D

Other highlights: Tuung, Stornoway, Local Natives, Seasick steve (who was incredible!!), Sunshine underground, The Whip and Johnny Flynn.

your turn.

Edited by Joe-

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all a great weekend in my humble opinion and as good as its ever been.

Loved the new rising stage tent, cracking real ale bar and good food again!

Highlights included Lissie, Danny and the champions of the world, Teenage Fanclub, The Go Team, David Ford & Mumford.

Best act is a close call for me but would probably just give it to The Go! Team for a great set. Although Lissie was close.

Biggest let down, not many to be honest although i expected more from Summer Camp. The sound was not good.

Best Find was Danny and the champions.... really enjoyed their set especially the incorporation of Springsteen!

Best moment was David Ford playing an impromptu acoustic set whilst teh church wouldn't let things continue!! absolute star and then payed an amazing set afterwards. Just beaten by finally getting to see Teenage Fanclub, absolutely gorgeous.

Also thought the booing of Tynchy was funny made even better by the Leicester sound puppets not daring use his name by the end of the evening.

Congrats to Rob and the whole team, a great weekend yet again. The staff all over the site are exceptional and so friendly.

Well done all and here's to next year!

Massive congrats to everyone involved this year was a real stormer even with the torrential rain

personal highlights were: los campesinos showing all indie bands how to do it properly; caribou being brilliant; errors for turning the dmu into a techno club; go team for getting everyone jumping; erland making their album sound even better live

worthy notes: red shoes diaries; junip; we show up on radar; seasick steve (what a legend); the sonic manipulator; these furrows (who were a damn sight better than they were at firebug); pat fish (went on the recommendations from this forum and he was brilliant); the fall (seeing him kick off his own keyboardist was too funny); the whip

biggest let downs: little night terrors cockiness does not make people like you esp if its a smallish crowd

thanks for a brilliant festival, i'm always surprised how nice and friendly everyone is

Favourites: Caribou, Slow Club, Los Campesinos! (bar Gareth's faceplant), Roots Manuva, the Fall, Teenage Fanclub, the Leisure Society, Dog Is Dead

Biggest let down: Mother nature, and Fanfarlo. Don't think I really saw anyone I hated, actually. Ended up missing El Pussycat, apart from the encore. Who were their guest(s)?

Best find: The Megaphonic Thrift and Spotlight Kid - pretty much Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine respectively, but little the worse for that

Best moment: TFC doing Star Sign, which they haven't been doing in recent festival sets. LC! opening with In Medias Res, which I believe is only the second or third time they've played it. The Sonic Manipulator. Hearing the Punch & Judy from a hall window with the operator introducing his new puppet Tony Blair to a group of six year olds, wondering how much of it they were getting.

Favourite Act: Caribou, closely followed by The Fall. The Mercury didn't like The Fall, which is about as good a recommendation as you can get. The Besnard Lakes were also great.

Biggest let down: I caught some of Junip and thought they were pretty dull. Mumford & Sons' set was too quiet, with half the songs drowned out by the drunk 15 year olds behind me. Missing By The Rivers because I thought it was The Rivers that were playing.

Best find (band wise): Caribou (hadn't heard much of their stuff before - best drummer of the festival), Erland & the Carnival. Fionn Regan was a nice surprise too.

Best moment of SS'10? Seeing The Fall. Again. You can't have too much of The Fall.

The greater distance between stages worked well, but the path to the rising stage needs to be wider - several hundred people going both ways at the same time while those pointless rickshaws were trying to get down the same path was a bit crap - move the stalls back. And if you're going to book quality comedians like Milton Jones next year you'll need a bigger tent.

Another really enjoyable weekend with so much to commend it, not least the quality of the organisation and the staff who appear to have had a hell of a lot more on their plate this year dealing with the weather and the alcoholic intake of those under 18!!

Unfortunately, De Mont Hall looked a bit rough by the end of last night.

Top find for me was Johnny Flynn and the only disappointment was Lou Rhodes who insisted we all stop talking during her set and then urged us to go and buy her CD. How up yourself can you possibly get?

Please tell me 2011 will go ahead?

Favourite Act(s)

- The Go! Team by quite a long way. A band can never have too many drummers.

- Swimming, never heard of them, just a lucky walk by.

- By The Rivers, last minute tip from Mr Benjamin.

Honourable mentions

- Los Campesinos, a whole world better than the last time at Liverpool O2 (the closest I've ever been to leaving a gig early).

- Kristyna Myles, improved so much in a year she might just be a 'next big thing'.

- Frightened Rabbit, as good as people said.

and finally

- Diana Vickers and Tinchy Stryder, I know they're not most peoples 'pint of real ale' but I enjoyed both ... variety is the spice of life!

Biggest let down: Musically the sound on the Indoor Stage, it seem to vary from 'muddy' to down right poor. Oh and the two breakfast show clowns compering the main stage on Saturday. I know RH had a tendency of mispronounce band names but please never let those two back. Plenty of other little moans but I'll save them for other treads.

Best find (band wise): As above, probably edged by Swimming.

Best moment(s) of SS'10?

- Watching the parents fight the urge to laugh as the Punch and Judy man told Punch to "stop bashing the bishop ..." comic genius.

- Poor Kaybee having to back announcing DM Stith after one of the most dull sets in SSW history, fortunately only a couple of people weren't comatose by that point.

- The SSW Choir, next year the main stage.

- Watching - 'Grease' on Sunday morning and realising I knew most of the words (very worrying).

- Sampling 'Skittle Vodka'

- Comedy in general. Rob Deering playing guitar, Junior Simpson, David Morgan and Vicky Stone.

- Having quality Thai food every night ... you try living in Cheshire, it's a long way from Bangkok

- The Go! Team - 'Ladyflash'.

- Stornoway - 'Zorbing'.

Overall, not a classic, partly due to the weather and partly the line-up. Must do better B-

I only made Friday due to weddings as is the way every few years.

Thought the layout was ace and the RealAle tent was fine. Pieminster being there had all the main food groups covered in pastry.

Really impressed with the Rising Stage this year.

Teenage Fanclub were cracking as were the Sunshine Underground even if the sound was a bit ditzy at the beginning. Caught the tale end of Steve Mason which was "Dec-ulous!"

The festival has become a social event for me rather than a list of must see bands that I run after. Maybe if I'd been around for the other two days I wouldn't have spent all of Friday gassing and generally forming Big Star tribute acts.

Highlights for me.

The Go Team - An excellent mix of uplifting hip-hop dancey tunes, really got me bouncing around

El Pussycat feat. Mr Neville Staple - Ruuuuude Boy!!

Messing around and dancing to Tynchy Stryder, at first because Butch Wades 14 year old neice wanted to see him most and I wanted her to have a fun time, and then because I was bloody enjoying myself!! I blame the Skittles Vodka - see saintupnorths post - glad you liked it - there's full instructions in the Glasto forums in how to make it ;)

Stopping llcoolphil, who didn't know me from Adam, as he wandered by, saying to him, you're llcoolphil, and him looking at me in wonder as though I was Derren Brown....

Lowlights:-

The Fall - Started really well, the band were great and the intro was impressive - then Mark E Smith started warbling on and I lost all interest

No easy access to Regents from the left of the main stage. had to go from the main regents entrance up through the main gates, previously you could nip out the side of regents over the road and you were in the festi.

If you are going to have a quiet and family friendly camp site, where you charge people more for the privilege, why don't you keep people from playing stereos and being rowdy till 3:30 am - I don't want to p!ss on anyones parade but if I'd wanted a lively late night camp site, I'd be in Victoria - Bring back Ken!!

Missing the meet due to being in the middle of Leicester trying to find an opticians to repair Mrs Niblet's glasses.

Edited by Niblet

Favourite Act:

frightened rabbit. by a long long way. go team were ace to watch, but they still are a bit shambolic live and cant perfect their sound.

Biggest let down

the desperately terrible unsigned band from birmingham which opened the indoor stage on one of the days.

Best find (band wise):

gaggle, took a while to get going, but end song was fantastic

Best moment of SS'10?

dean jackson's dedication to richard haswell.

worst bit?

the very high level of underage drinking. there seemed to be drunke 15 - 16 yr olds literally everywhere.

Musical highlight would have to be Pokey Lafarge and the Southside 3. Absolutely amazing. with the SSW choir a close second. I agree this needs to migrate to the bigger stages (perhaps not directly to the main stage - to build momentum). Also glad to see We Show up on Radar getting a mention - I too greatly enjoyed their set - as they clearly did themselves.

dissapointment - would be realising id missed erland and the carnvial as my focus had been on sorting out volunteers. it seems i missed a treat by not seeing by the rivers.

great to hear RH (a great supporter of ours) got a mention from the main stage - only fitting - didn't hear it myself any chance of a transcription or at least a paraphrasing of what was said.

Highlight - after being interviewed by ITV's Tonight programme (likely broadcast in september) at our recycling base and being able to go back up to Victoria campsite and see that our volunteers had cleared 90% of what had been left behind well ahead of schedule.

Another great bunch of volunteers this year and our thanks of course to our regular volunteers that give us more of their time than is stricly fair and also notable mentions to all the DMH staff and festival organisers who supported our efforts with their deeds or words of encouragement be it in the run up to, during or in the aftermath of what is a really amazing festival. The seemless transition, without instructions to do so, of the indoor stage stewards, from collecting everything as rubbish to using the small recycling bins we belately put in there was particularly cool.

regarding a couple of gripes that have been mentioned, re underage drinking, i seem to remember last year there was some criticism of security being heavy handed regarding this, a difficult balance - anyone prepared to back a zero tolerance approach would probably be throwing a stone at a glass house they used to live in.

With respect to the narrowness of the path through the village to rising (try moving an 1100l bin through that space) - the traders of course love this as it ensures there are people having to only very slowly pass by their stalls - perhaps some kind of one way system could work. and remember if your destination is indoor, you can cut through the garden rather than through the main arena,

A personal lowlight - having sent some of our volunteers to hand out bags for people to tidy up into on Monday morning hearing reports of how rude some people had been, the general line being that they'd paid to get into the festival (as opposed to our volunteers) so could leave a mess and they could pick it up. If i applied a similar logic that ive paid my taxes therefore i should be able to shoot these m%ther f&*king c%$£s and desecrate their corpses seems only fitting. Apologies for the extreme nature of my comments. However I would like to say that I really appreciated a group of lads I asked to tidy their area fully expecting similar treatment, did indeed graciously do as i had asked.

back on site tomorrow for one final push to do a fine litter pick of the campsite and the main arena.

Had an amazing weekend despite the missus damaging her knee on a space hopper in the Cadbury games area and hobbling all weekend!

Favourite Act: Tuung we're my favourite act of the weekend...other fantastic acts were Slow Club, Los Campesinos, The Go Team, Polkey Lafarge and the South City three. Really enjoyed Rag and Bone shop of the heart as well.

Biggest Let Down: The comedy tent, could get nowehere near it. Cocktail bar: too small and too little choice. Also the Fall, more for the fact that i had to stand up every 20 seconds to let someone out!

Biggest Surprise: Couldn't get over how much energy The Futureheads had live.

Funniest Moment: Watching people fall in the pile of mud between the indoor and main stage. Watched a dad and his daughter collar a man because he threw some mud at his partner. They then wait 15 minutes whilst senior security arrived who had a word with the man in question before realising it was harmless and they would not be chucking him out as requested. Its a festival not the last night at the proms! Would hate to think what their reaction would be to some of the more unsavoury things thrown at other festivals!

Had a fantastic time all round but the weekend was soured slightly by the behaviour of some younger festival goers in the main camping area. I can put up with a bit of noise and even had a bit of a chuckle at some of the 'singing'. However, those who decided to spend 4 hours of the early morning jumping on top of people's tents were absolute imberciles. After they jumped on ours, I identified the culprits and reported them to security who watched them for a whole 2 hours before deciding to eject them. There really should be zero-tolerance to this because it could cause serious injury as well as no doubt being a frightening experience for some.

Ooo, so many things.

First of all, the security staff. Polite, fun, but firm but fair when necessary. Spot on.

The real ale tent I found a bit, not a disappointment, but a bit inexperienced. No cooling (I don't count a wet flannel cooling) and they ran out fairly quickly. Imagine how much quicker they would have run out if it had been hot. And Courage Best? The staff were very friendly, though.

Bands: Highlights were the Go Team, Gaggle, Errors, Lou Rhodes, Roots Manuva and Besnard Lakes, who were my find of the weekend.

Lowlight: Being woken by 4 & 5 year olds a 6am in the next tent on Sunday. Grr, I was not happy. But I was cheered up by finding a full veggy breakfast in the Sports & Social club, on Regents Rd. Not sure what time they opened, but they were the only place I could find open on a Sunday morning.

<snip>

A personal lowlight - having sent some of our volunteers to hand out bags for people to tidy up into on Monday morning hearing reports of how rude some people had been, the general line being that they'd paid to get into the festival (as opposed to our volunteers) so could leave a mess and they could pick it up. If i applied a similar logic that ive paid my taxes therefore i should be able to shoot these m%ther f&*king c%$£s and desecrate their corpses seems only fitting. Apologies for the extreme nature of my comments. However I would like to say that I really appreciated a group of lads I asked to tidy their area fully expecting similar treatment, did indeed graciously do as i had asked.

back on site tomorrow for one final push to do a fine litter pick of the campsite and the main arena.

I was only there for the Sunday, but it was such a brilliant day! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Highlights would have to be Frightened Rabbit and Mumford and Sons (apart from the 15 year olds next to us insisting they were their biggest fans, then not knowing the right words haha).

The Errors were a pretty good find, as well as The Guthlaxtones - brilliant idea to have them there, I enjoyed a good dance to Soul Man. I only caught a bit of Pete Molinari but I'll be checking out more of him, as well as Johnny Flynn and the Sussex Wit and Megafaun.

Regarding the drinking it was a bit much, I've no problem with people being merry and it is a difficult balance but if you've got a group of underage kids coming in I thought their bags would have at least been checked?

Favourite Act: Tunng... "Everyone should be a rock star, just for a minute!" Also great were Teenage Fanclub, The Leisure Society, Pokey LaFarge & The South City Three, Milton Jones

Biggest let down: Real ale tent woefully underestimating how thirsty people can be

Best find (band wise): The Futureheads - not really a find as such, but they were way, WAY better than I expected. And it was bizarrely nice to see that kind of band indulge in some good old fashioned "seeing which side of the room can sing louder" crowd-goading fun!

Thanks for all coming and braving the rain and enjoying the sunshine.

Keep sending the comments. We'll be reading them and taking note of the key points for our festival debrief in September (recurring points re young drinkers, real ale tent etc)

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

NB somebody walked off with the E from our W E L C O M E sign!

This was the first festival my wife and I had been to since the late 80s when I was a regular at Glastonbury and I found it got too big for me and retired. I found Summer Sundae 2010 absolutely brilliant, far exceeded my expectations. Just the right size and atmosphere. I have nothing but praise to everyone involved and can't believe I haven't been before. Everyone in the staff was great - having said that it seemed a bit unnecessary stopping people taking videos with their photo cameras (this happened to my mate in the rising stage, surely most these bands would love to see their performances up on youtube getting them some publicity).

Personally I had no bad experiences of the underage drunks at the festival - however it is a recurring theme at a lot of big gigs I've been too and one of my pet hates that can rapidly spoil the atmosphere and ruin it for everyone. I'd rather the security clamped down on things like this rather than people taking photos with cameras that 'were too big' as I heard one say to a bloke next to me.

Unlike some others I thought the sound was generally very good, nice and loud at all stages for the rockier bands I'm into.

Best Band

Sunshine Underground blew me away, absolutely fantastic. Other mentions must go to Los Campesinos, The Fall and Futureheads. Erland and the Carnival were excellent as well - surely he's too young to have been in the Verve!

Biggest let down

Didn't really have one. I wasn't too keen on much on the main stage to be honest bar the Sunshine Underground, but plenty of other stuff to keep me interested. I found the days packed with stuff to do and lots of clashes but it seemed things tailed off on some of the stages in the evening with big gaps so was not much choice. Summer Camp diasppointed - I'm off to see them in October so hope they come over better in a smaller venue.

Best find (band wise):

Tiffany Page was great, top rock chick and surely destined for bigger things. Others to impress that I hadn't heard before were Slow Club, Dog Is Dead, Little Night Terrors, Megaphonic Thrift and Besnard Lakes were impressive in parts. Frightened Rabbit also surprised me - thought they would be dull but they really rocked the indoor stage.

Best moment of SS'10?

Walking out of the indoor stage having seen the Woodentops for the first time since the mid 80s (and they were brilliant) and finding the Sun almost shining and Diana Vickers getting everyone dancing - she was great. Also the intro when the Fall came on, one instrument at a time, magic stuff.

Edited by DungenessB