Comic Books

Wooderson

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested to check out Dr Strange #1.

Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo made some magic in Wolverine & The X-Men, so this should hopefully be very good.

Really looking forward to reading Paper Girls, there was a preview in the back of Saga some months ago and it was great.

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2015 at 11:00 PM, LondonTom said:

Waiting on the paperback for Shattered Empire, think it will work better with all the issues together!

A few months later and the Shattered Empire paperback is OUT, LondonTom. Have you read it?

Gillen/McKelvie things I want to talk about;

I read the last issue of Phonogram today. Really emotional as I have loved this series so much. I think the ending was pretty perfect, a true modern masterpiece. They were great when they started out, but looking back on Rue Britannia and seeing how far they've progressed as creators in that time is nothing short of amazing.

A WicDiv oversized harcover will be out in April! I will be diving in on that, and I also hope for a Phonogram trilogy hardcover around this time next year.

They're doing a signing at the shop I go to! Travelling Man in Manchester. Over the 20th and 21st of Feb they're going to be signing in all the Travelling Man branches with Tula Lotay. Volume 3 of WicDiv will be out by then, with an exclusive cover for Travelling Man. I'm really excited as they're my all time favourite creators and I've not met them or had anything signed by them before. I'm not going to be getting the trades as I'll be waiting for the aforementioned hardcover, bit miffed that the hardcover wont be out in time but there ya go. I'll probably take along Tula's issue of WicDiv and my omnibus of Young Avengers for signing. I'm also taking a mate who I gave all my issues of Young Avengers to when the omnibus came out, I will be bullying him into getting WicDiv and reading it and loving it like I do.

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

A few months later and the Shattered Empire paperback is OUT, LondonTom. Have you read it?

Ha I did indeed, before TFA! Its ok, I don't think it was what really anyone expected or wanted tbh. It was nice enough, I enjoyed the story but I just wanted more of the core trio really/more direct links to TFA.

Reminds me actually I need to order the Obi Wan/Anakin series new Chewbacca has finished (which was great, enjoyed those alot!).

Thinking about getting the new (old?:P) Steve Rodgers Captain america series to! 

6 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Was the final Phongram edited to include a Bowie tribute or did it come out before he died?

I'm pretty sure it will have gone to print before he died, even though it came out afterwards. I'm not 100% sure on the deadlines and so on, but 10 days seems too late to make any sort of edit.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I've just had a headlong dive into the cosmic side of the Marvel U over the last couple of months.  Read everything from "The End" all the way through to "The Thanos Imperative" and the two Annihilators mini series.  Big question is, what do I go for next?

Truthfully, I don't much care about the Earthbound stuff, so am looking for Cosmic followups. (I know I can go backwards and read all the stuff leading up to Infinity Gauntlet etc).  I read the first two trades of the Bendis Guardians and whilst it's pretty fun, it's not a patch on the DnA Guardians.

Help?

Read War Of Kings if you haven't read that. Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness' Nova series is supposed to be pretty good. Dan Slott's Silver Surfer is very good. Dan Abnett's recent Guardians 3000 was somewhat OK. Greg Rucka's recent Cyclops solo series was also a lot of fun, focused on Scott roaming around space with the Starjammers. Scottie Young's Rocket Raccoon had some brilliant moments.

A real oft-forgotten gem is Kieron Gillen's Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter mini from a few years ago, that's four really excellent issues, I can't recommend it enough. He also did a pretty fucking great S.W.O.R.D. mini called No Time To Breathe, it spun out of Astonishing X-Men, but you don't need to have read that at all. I'm on Gillen's dick a lot, but this is seriously brilliant comics.

9 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Read War Of Kings if you haven't read that. Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness' Nova series is supposed to be pretty good. Dan Slott's Silver Surfer is very good. Dan Abnett's recent Guardians 3000 was somewhat OK. Greg Rucka's recent Cyclops solo series was also a lot of fun, focused on Scott roaming around space with the Starjammers. Scottie Young's Rocket Raccoon had some brilliant moments.

A real oft-forgotten gem is Kieron Gillen's Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter mini from a few years ago, that's four really excellent issues, I can't recommend it enough. He also did a pretty fucking great S.W.O.R.D. mini called No Time To Breathe, it spun out of Astonishing X-Men, but you don't need to have read that at all. I'm on Gillen's dick a lot, but this is seriously brilliant comics.

I read war of kings. 

Heard good things from elsewhere re the cyclops solo and the Surfer stuff. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Talking bout Gillen's dick, Wikdiv 18?

Laura is back... in pog form! I really enjoyed it, it was the big payoff for the throwdown we've been promised. I look forward to Minerva taking on more significance, she didn't get a solo issue during Commercial Suicide, so I think she'll turn out to be a really important player towards the end of the series as a whole. Baal and Baphomet beating each other was lots of fun. Laura's Persephone look is excellent, McKelvie does the best character designs in the whole damn game for my money.

Hardcover of the first two arcs arrived this morning. I pre-ordered from Forbidden Planet so I get a limited edition white cover, signed by KG and JM. Also I got Sweet Tooth hardcover 2, and this is why I am so poor!

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Was she not killed? I is lost.

Nobody stays dead in comics except for Bucky, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd.

Wonder Woman Earth One is getting pretty good reviews, so I reckon I'll pick that up on Wednesday while Travelling Man has their DC sale on.

43 minutes ago, jump said:

^Jason Todd and Bucky are alive and have been for the last 10+ years.

Exactly. Uncle Ben gets temporarily resurrected every time every time Marvel wants an excuse to hike up the price of an issue of Spider-Man. Gwen Stacey has her own bloody solo series!

Just now, WS_Jack_III said:

Miller & Janson

Excellent. Don't know if that'll contain the same issues as the omnibus, but the quality skyrockets as soon as Miller starts writing. Initially he just did pencils, and was pretty great, but when you reach the bit where he gets writing it just goes nuts. He brings in Elektra, Kingpin, Stick, the Hand et al pretty much straight away, goes right into instant classic territory.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Excellent. Don't know if that'll contain the same issues as the omnibus, but the quality skyrockets as soon as Miller starts writing. Initially he just did pencils, and was pretty great, but when you reach the bit where he gets writing it just goes nuts. He brings in Elektra, Kingpin, Stick, the Hand et al pretty much straight away, goes right into instant classic territory.

You pretty much summed up some of the amazon reviews there :)

I'm pretty new to comics, read V for Vendetta a while back and on book 7 of The Walking Dead.

Now i've just got all those i mentioned previously, they arrive tomorrow.

6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

You pretty much summed up some of the amazon reviews there :)

I'm pretty new to comics, read V for Vendetta a while back and on book 7 of The Walking Dead.

Now i've just got all those i mentioned previously, they arrive tomorrow.

New to comics? Get thee some Morrison.

16 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Yep; is that Grant Morrison?

Yeah, Grant Morrison. It's normally between Grant Morrison and Alan Moore who comic fans like to bitch and moan about how's the best ever in an empty ongoing circle.

Edited by jump

Just now, jump said:

Yeah, Grant Morrison. It's normally between Grant Morrison and Alan Moore whihc comic fans like to bitch and moan about how's the best ever.

haha well Alan Moore is great from what i've read, though i felt the Joker origin to be weak.

Really want to read Watchmen, we have it in the Library at the college I work at but it's always out.

Might just buy it.

I'll look into getting some Grant Morrison stuff then.