Comic Books

Wooderson

I met Mark Millar and Frank Quitely yesterday at a signing. Spoke to them for a short bit and Mark was saying that Matthew Vaughn wants to start shooting Kingsman: The Secret Service 2 in January and Mark hasn't even started scripting the next comics! I had read Jupiters Legacy which the signing was for but I think I'll need to get Jupiter's Circle soon too.

Edited by JamesT977

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that Quitely is brilliant, his work on Jupiter's Legacy is fantastic, really dynamic stuff, he knows how to get his characters to strike a pose. There's nothing in his panels that isn't thought out, has its own life and contributes to the image and the narrative, I especially enjoy the quality of his action scenes where everything looks frozen in time, it makes his work really unique to read, I tend to spend more time appreciating a Frank Quitely comic than any other artist. I just read the first issue of Jupiter's Circle today and got quite a kick out of that, too. I don't think I've ever read anything by Wilfredo Torres before, but he's a really good fit for this Silver Age period setting, not heavily stylized like a lot of this consciously retro superhero books tend to be, it's that sort of sensibility mixed with a more mordern style that we've seen in superhero books over the past decade, which is perfect for a title that's a 1950s prequel to a comic in a current day setting. Mark Millar himself has taken a very interesting turn for my liking over the past few years, he's seems to have really refreshed after committing to the creator-owned stuff, he's now writing stuff like Starlight and Superior which have real heart and affection, whereas only a couple of years ago he was writing some properly crass and depraved stuff in Nemesis and the Kick-Ass sequels . the artists he's choosing really raises the quality of the book, Goran Parlov was the main attraction of Starlight for me, it turned something that could have been slightly desposable into a top quality product.

• 4 months later...

The first issue of The Wicked and The Devine from Keiron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (of Phonogram fame) was really good, McKelvie really gets to let loose on drawing some beautiful young pop stars. It was very surprising for me to read a Gillen and McKelvie comics with absolutely no overt references to real world bands or songs.

The "no overt" thing was a pisstake right?

:)

Issue 13 floored me.

The "no overt" thing was a pisstake right?

:)

Issue 13 floored me.

Heh, poor wording. None mentioned by name, a-la Phonogram and Young Avengers both being stuffed with them. I've discovered more than a few bands through Gillen's columns on the back page, so it's a bit weird not having a prescribed soundtrack. I'm disturbed by how often I'm hearing people claim that Amaterasu is a Florence Welch inspired, when she's clearly Kate Bush. Issue 13 was brilliant, probably the highlight of the run so far, which really is saying something for a series that's been on an increasing winning streak for ages now. Issue 11 with the THINGS HAPPENING nearly killed me, I flung it across the room when I'd finished.

Phonogram returning this week, in the same week as Joanna Newsom showing us new music made my cup really runneth over. I loved the issue, it really lived up to the hype. So many fantastic moments; Seth Bingo's Sugababes t-shirt, "The Adversary" :D, the Taylor Swift short story, the Blur short story with old bald David Kohl, Chvrches tattoo snuck in, and a retromancer in serious need of a Lloyd Los Campesinos! moment.

I think Tara not having an obvious outright single parallel is intentional after reading that issue. The bit when she's looking up different versions of Tara from different cultures and she doesn't know which she is, I think she's supposed to be a bit of a mish-mash that you can't work out. I know a lot of people who hadn't liked the series so far specifically because of the reference who have really enjoyed the Tara issue becuase they didn't feel like they were missing out from not knowing a lot about Prince or Kanye West or whoever. Somebody said that Tara felt like the best character since Luci and Laura, because he didn't feel like he was reading a lot of tongue in cheek jokes he didn't get, she was a character you could get to grips with. Which I can see to a certain extent, but I only think you need to know the broad strokes of the musicians being referenced to appreciate what's going on, and a lot of time you can enjoy it without knowing what they're based on at all. I don't know specifically who The Morrigan and Baphomet are supposed to be, but they're two of the strongest characters in the series for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Weirdly listed, but pick up Multiversity Deluxe HC for £21.15 here. http://www.speedyhen.com/StoreFront/Product/Frank-Quitely/Multiversity--The-Complete-Collection-of-His-Work-from-Mad-Comics-No1-23/17898993

>£1 per issue, amazing bargain.

How did that pan out? Got the first issue, visually amazing as ever from FQ, but couldn't follow it at all. Seemed like a better drawn version of Final Crisis.

How did that pan out? Got the first issue, visually amazing as ever from FQ, but couldn't follow it at all. Seemed like a better drawn version of Final Crisis.

I decided not to read it in issues, I knew I would buy the hardcover when it came out, and it seemed like the sort of thing to set aside a Sunday for and then read in full. The artists alone make it worth it, and the covers have all been gorgeous.

• 1 month later...

Massive day today. Probably the biggest comic run I've ever done. I've read Star Wars Shattered Empire #2 and Marvel Point One, both of which were disappointing and expensive. Should have seen it coming for Point One, but it's a real shame Star Wars wasn't good after the first issue was good and it's got fucking Greg Rucka and Mark Cecchetto doing it. I also bought the new Amazing Spider-Man #1, which I know I wont be that into and it was expensive, so I shouldn't have bought it. In good comic stakes, new Southern Bastards, new Brian K Vaughn series, new issue of Siege, new Angela Witch Hunter, Bitch Planet in trade and some other stuff!