Comic Books

Wooderson

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you pick one best ever comic? Not a graphic novel, just one issue of a regular comic. Not necessarily your personal favourite, it could just be something you thought at the time, "Yes, that's bloody good, not quite my thing but I can see that's bloody good". For me it's the last issue in the No Man's Land Batman run, the one where the Joker kills Mrs Gordon. I remember when it came out we were all reading it in FP at the same time (man, we worked hard) and all finished it about the same time, and just sat there in silence. Really bloody good. Worked as a stand-alone story and also a climax to the whole thing as well. Mainstream but edgy and underground at the same time. Nice.

We then went to play with some Millenium Falcons. B)

Along the same lines I also really enjoyed the Hulk issue (late 70s/early 80s) where he's in New York and meets Daredevil, who tries to calm him down and nearly gets (Hulk)smashed in the process.

Very good choice!

For some reason what immediately comes to mind is AXM #4 where

a back from the dead Peter runs straight through a stunned Kitty

Though I think #6 is my favourite cover in recent years.

Uncool as it may seem I also really enjoyed the first issue of House of M. Was pretty nuts to read when it first came out.

Edited by Wooderson

I think that's kind of the point, hence the name of the book.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed it, though it does get a bit confusing towards the end.

I gathered as much chief.

- - -

I don't own the book but will re-read it sometime. I got lost about 4 issues in. Got bored as soon as Morrison's started on about geezers with jet black jizz.:lol:

My fave comics:

Superman: Birthright

Superman: Red Son

From Hell

Watchmen

V For Vendetta

The Killing Joke

Batman: Long Halloween

Batman: Dark Victory

All Star Superman

Astonishing X-Men

Ultimate Avengers

Ultimate Spider-Man

Sin City

Arkham Asylum

Joker

This may be surprising, but unlike most comic book nerds I don't actually rate Dark Knight Returns that much. Seemed like a 13 year old boys wet dream.

I agree. Most of my mates call me weird for thinking AA is the best Batman comic. They don't agree with the art style but i think the mental images go well with a comic specifically about the asylum.

Did you make any decent profits on the stuff you sold? I have a mint copy of Uncanny XM 142 "Everyone Dies!" haha that I really love and like you and Spiderman would hold onto despite a firesale.

- - -

Don't get Manga in the slightest. Me and Nal watched "Legend of the Overfiend" in bout 94 - put me off all that gear for life.

:lol:

Mostly it was recent-ish stuff so it was worth what it was worth. Maybe £1-£5 a comic depending on the usual factors. The only thing i sold for a lot was the Amazing Spiderman where all the heros and villains got together and helped with the trade centre disaster. Made me about £50 4 or 5 years ago, i hear it's worth more now.

Manga is excellent and shouldn't be confused with Anime. Animated versions of the comics are usually edited pretty horribly, especially things like violence and nudity and especially when they sell it in the states. For instance, One Piece is one of the best Mangas ever made but the Anime version is horribly cut together and shit.

Edited by Greeny_Musicchild

If you're new to anime/ mangas then Love Hina is ideal. It's not overly complicated so you can leave it for a while and come back to it.

I always found it easier watching anime before reading mangas

Easier to get into but daaaaaaaaaaamn, f**k filler. Watching a whole series of Bleach or Naruto (especially Naruto) when it has nothing to do with the story and never happened in the Managa is a ball ache.

I still watch a lot of Anime. Have you ever seen Afro Samurai? It's American (it has Samuel L Jackson in it) but it's really well drawn and animated. The RZA does the soundtrack as well, it's pretty badass all round.

Bit more leaning towards DC? Do you reckon it tells you something about a person if theyre more of a DC geek than a Marvel Zombie?

Pretty canonical list here. Ive read all of the above except From Hell / Superman Birthright and Joker. From Hell I know about, and I've seen the cover of Joker -> whats "Birthright" all about?

Birthright is only the best Superman origin story of all time!

"Joker" is f**ked up. It's basically all about a crook who idolises The Joker and becomes one of his henchman. It goes some way to show some of the f**ked up things The Joker is truly capable of. He's also drawn a lot more like the Heath Ledger version (slashed mouth, longer hair, but not wearring make-up, he still has white skin and green hair).

Regarding the DC vs Marvel thing I grew up with Marvel! Mainly the regular X-Men and Spider-Man.

What's wierd is that DC put out a lot of my favourite comics, but growing up I was way more into Marvel. I religiously read the regular "616" X-Men and Spider-Man. I even kept reading all the way through the Clone Saga (which had its moments - loved the return of the Green Goblin and the Kaine character) and I think the last run comics of the X-Men I was hugely into was the Onslaught saga. Never really botherred with the regular DC stuff like Batman/Superman/JLA at all - still don't. I think the only regular comic Batman story I got into was Hush. I much prefer volumes of stories that have a definite beginning and an end.

Oh and I forgot KICK-ASS!

Edited by Purple Monkey

Couple more...

Punisher MAX (especially the Garth Ennis stuff)

Marvel Zombies

Sin City

Kick-Ass

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Ooh which one is the one where Punisher wipes the floor with Wolverine? I enjoyed that, read it aaaaages ago. I think it ended with Punisher parking a Steam Roller on top of Wolverine - f**king mental! :lol:

Ghost In The Shell.

Best manga in the world. Some actual high-brow intellectual shit going on. And the movies are ace as well.

I'd say the movie (which is brilliant) is high brow, the manga has too many panty shots for me to take it seriously at times. I do rate the sequel Man Machine Interface, which is more philosophical and the action pieces are more intergrated into the story than the 1st too.

I'd say the movie (which is brilliant) is high brow, the manga has too many panty shots for me to take it seriously at times. I do rate the sequel Man Machine Interface, which is more philosophical and the action pieces are more intergrated into the story than the 1st too.

I find that is the problem with most printed Manga.

Dunno if I'm the best person to review it (as I know next to feck all about Thor in real terms) but the trailer released today isnt the fred west is it?

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1P9XSK/feedproxy.google.com/~r/screencrave/~3/E6yr-LDrWAs//r:t

Any eagle eyed geeks out there know who the baddie is at the end?

Dunno if I'm the best person to review it (as I know next to feck all about Thor in real terms) but the trailer released today isnt the fred west is it?

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1P9XSK/feedproxy.google.com/~r/screencrave/~3/E6yr-LDrWAs//r:t

It seems to do for Thor what the Iron Man trailer did for Iron Man (made it look a bit shit, but we all know the film turned out to be very entertaining).

This is why I despise movie trailers generally.

Edited by Purple Monkey

Anyone know anything of The Question? DC character, pops up in JLA. I didn't know much about him but he's a faceless detective who uncovers mental conspiracies (think Columbo crossed with Fox Mulder, and Rorschach from Watchmen)

What I want to know is - why the f**k hasn't this guy got a bigger run? Where's his God-damn movie?

Edited by Purple Monkey

I can't view tarilers at work, is the baddie in the Thor trailer anyone other than Loki?

Anyone know anything of The Question? DC character, pops up in JLA. I didn't know much about him but he's a faceless detective who uncovers mental conspiracies.

What I want to know is - why the f**k hasn't this guy got a bigger run? Where's his God-damn movie?

I love the Question, he was a characther that Alan Moore based Rorshach on. Currently they killed him off and had a women take over him who occasionaly shacks up with Batwomen. You should try the Dennis O'Neil's run tardebacks or 52 as they are they only decent collected editions with him in it, and avoid the Veitch run as it's shit.

Anyone know anything of The Question? DC character, pops up in JLA. I didn't know much about him but he's a faceless detective who uncovers mental conspiracies (think Columbo crossed with Fox Mulder, and Rorschach from Watchmen)

Couple of episodes of the Justice League cartoon featured the Question. As Jump says he was quite central to some of the 52 storyline aswell. Other than that I'm drawing a blank.

I can't view tarilers at work, is the baddie in the Thor trailer anyone other than Loki?

Neither can I mate.

Loki is the chief antagonist methinks - but at the end of the trailer some big armoured character wipes out a load of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

Main problem I have with what Ive seen thusfar is the American accents of the Asgardians. Particularly with Thor part of his schtick when youre reading the book is imagining the weird accent off the chap. Hearing Heimdall with a Bronx twang ain't gonna be the same lads!

Has anyone read The Ballad Of Halo Jones?

I haven't read anything in a while and fancy a non American book, and the everyday space age girlturns guerilla terrorist/rebel set up sounds pretty intresting?

Thats Alan Moore right? Didnt know it was in any kind of decent collected edition.

Have you read Alice in Sunderland? Thats well worth a look.

The big bad at the end of the Thor trailer is The Destroyer.

440px-Destroyer_(Asgard)_2.jpg

Some info on him here.

Edited by G-Stud

Thats Alan Moore right? Didnt know it was in any kind of decent collected edition.

Have you read Alice in Sunderland? Thats well worth a look.

Yep it was in tradeback form, I was browsing in Forbidden Planet a few months ago and they had Moore name blastered all over and it caught my attention along with the pretty shot of Halo herself.

Thanks, but I've already read Alice In Sunderland, pretty good.

I am a little boring in my comics really. I have managed to get all of 2000ad including the Starlord/Tornado copies. I have all of Judge Dreed megazine and all of The Best of 200AD monthly (anthologies of an individual character/story). I have managed to get a good few copies of the Rogue Trooper that was reprinted for US release as well as a Judge Dredd that had a failed US release.

I have most of Alan Moores stuff, and a few copies of his Batman/Superman stuff. Plenty by Garth Ennis, but I do love Steve Dillon as an artist.

anywhoooooo

I am a little boring in my comics really. I have managed to get all of 2000ad including the Starlord/Tornado copies. I have all of Judge Dreed megazine and all of The Best of 200AD monthly (anthologies of an individual character/story). I have managed to get a good few copies of the Rogue Trooper that was reprinted for US release as well as a Judge Dredd that had a failed US release.

I have most of Alan Moores stuff, and a few copies of his Batman/Superman stuff. Plenty by Garth Ennis, but I do love Steve Dillon as an artist.

anywhoooooo

Id love to read some of the stuff Ennis did on Dredd set in Ireland. Heard its a right hoot but sounds v weird.