'No Tesco In Glastonbury' facebook group

Guest scorp

Tesco/asda/sainsburys/morrisons are all evil, but i still shop at asda.

Tesco ruined pontypool town centre..

mind you, i do use them for petrol coz i get the club card and then after a few months i get a few quid voucher in the post..

All supermarkets are as bad as each other. They divert trade away from local businesses, artificially inflate the price of individual goods for their upcoming half price/BOGOF deals, and they use their corporate muscle to squeeze the suppliers and farmers into selling food at a fraction above cost.

But herein lies the problem, most people do not have the money to use the more expensive local businesses.

Shop at Waitrose? Yeah okay, i'll do that once i've picked up my hamper from M&S! :ph34r:

sainsburys/tesco etc are all as bad as each other where morals/ethics are concerned imo

ahh that sucks :( you didn't call in sick or just not show up and go glasto did you?!

All supermarkets are as bad as each other. They divert trade away from local businesses, artificially inflate the price of individual goods for their upcoming half price/BOGOF deals, and they use their corporate muscle to squeeze the suppliers and farmers into selling food at a fraction above cost.

But herein lies the problem, most people do not have the money to use the more expensive local businesses.

Shop at Waitrose? Yeah okay, i'll do that once i've picked up my hamper from M&S! :ph34r:

Waitrose have yet to make it to my part of the world, ie the north of England. the only stores they have up here are in the footballer belts of Cheshire and Southport. (does that make Waitrose supermarket snobs?)

i use Tesco cos it's closest to my house and has a big, free car park outside, something my local town centre doesn't offer.

I absolutely f**king love Tesco, and I would happily let them enter me any time they wanted.

Our local Somerfield closed a number of years ago, and the nearest supermarket within walking distance is a Lidl, who have worse ethical standards than paedophiles in my book. Within a year most of the local shops had closed as people would travel before to go to the supermarket and then shop around. Our local councillors contacted all the major supermarkets and Tesco were persuaded to open a Metro store. The community set a lot of caviets as well (such as a smaller car park and wider walk in entrance). Since then the area has gone from strentgh to strentgh with most of the vacant small shops now being occupied, and even Iceland have reopened a store less than 100 yards away and that was acheived by the local people being involved in the process. The few shops that survived the initial slump are still thriving as they have a loyal customer base.

Waitrose have yet to make it to my part of the world, ie the north of England. the only stores they have up here are in the footballer belts of Cheshire and Southport. (does that make Waitrose supermarket snobs?)

i use Tesco cos it's closest to my house and has a big, free car park outside, something my local town centre doesn't offer.

My dad worked his butt off for 20 years doing 7 day weeks and 18 hour days as a newsagent, saved hard the whole time and bought his own in weston-super-mare. After 10 years of being a moderately successful shop in a rank of 20 the nearby tesco superstore went 24 hours, started stocking a full news range and offered prices that local shops couldn't compete with. My dad lasted a further 10 years before going under, seeing 40 years of savings go down the drain and selling the business for less than the price of a 1 bedroom flat as it was now "last man standing" in the rank of now closed greengrocers, butchers and other stores. With the decline of these shops the area went downhill in value and all the houses were sold to buy to let investors, who converted the houses into multiple small flats, which are now run down, low rent accomodation mostly funded by housing benefit.

However:

Tesco broke the retail manufacturers hold on prices in the 1960s, the government of the time agreeing to their lobbying and legislatating to allow any shop to sell a product at whatever price they like, rather than a price dictated by the brand. This fight has continued with some high profile fights against brands such as levis.

Which says to me: Tesco care about giving the best price and product to the punter, but couldn't give 2 shakes about their competitors, large or small and in my experience once they have driven local competition to the ground the prime offers they were using locally to do so disappear.

One of the main reasons Tesco is able to be so cheap is that they set up dozens of offshore companies that their accountants use to avoid paying tax. Since one in seven pounds spent in the UK is spent at Tesco, the tax savings they make are enormous. Here is the rub though, the shortfall in tax revenue from Tesco has to be made up somewhere to pay for Schools, Hospitals etc. so we all end up paying slightly higher taxes to cover for the money that Tesco should have paid. Or in other words we all subsidise Tesco's low prices through tax whether we shop there or not.

I have not shopped at Tesco for six years now but those of you defending them can pay me back the money I've spent subsidising your purchases any time like.;)

However the one organisation that I believe is possibly more evil than Tesco is friggin Facebook. I am sick of political causes and campaigns lazily resorting to setting up facebook groups assuming that anyone interested is willing to hand over all their personal information to an organisation run by right wing neo-cons intent on world domination.

So, no I will not join your facebook group but I suggest that you all close your facebook accounts, urge your friends and families to boycott Tesco and think of more imaginative ways to highlight your political aims.

Here is the rub though, the shortfall in tax revenue from Tesco has to be made up somewhere to pay for Schools, Hospitals etc. so we all end up paying slightly higher taxes to cover for the money that Tesco should have paid. Or in other words we all subsidise Tesco's low prices through tax whether we shop there or not.

Someone is providing a better service for less money? Quick, we must inform the internet!!!

Competition is part of business, if you cry because Tesco are building a store near you then rather than improving your service and reducing costs you probably shouldn't run a business.

I work for Tesco - at least I did until Glastonbury. On my return I found no job and I'd been replaced! For personal reasons I am boycotting them and quite frankly they can f uck off.

A friend does the government testing of petrol to ensure it meets legal standards. They live on a really tight budget, but would never buy their petrol at Tesco, which says it all as far as I'm concerned

I'm not going to join your group on the basis that if they're building down there they wont be building in Dundee. Oh wait they are.

Dundee - Population approx 150k and has the following

5 x tesco (2 Extra, 2 x metro, 1 normal) and 1 currently under construction

2 x Asda

1 x Morrison

1 x Sainsburys

2 x Lidl

Also hundreds of Co-op type places.

Why???