Drugs at Glastonbury

Guest Daddy Earth

When my mates used to go to Glastonbury back in the early 1980's they would come back telling wild stories about 'Hot Knife Tents' and 'Cold Spoon Caravans'. I was never really into all that. Are drugs still unofficially available at Glastonbury or has it been 'cleaned up' if that's the correct expression?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my mates used to go to Glastonbury back in the early 1980's they would come back telling wild stories about 'Hot Knife Tents' and 'Cold Spoon Caravans'. I was never really into all that. Are drugs still unofficially available at Glastonbury or has it been 'cleaned up' if that's the correct expression?

Ha! Did you know it was a Glastonbury Festival copper you replied to?

Of course they turn a blind eye to quite a few things that go on rather than have a serious downer on anyone who is not bothering anyone else and simply having a good time. They certainly did do a lot more than f**k all though and did their job very well by all accounts.

I recall when I used to get the train that there were dogs and checks at Paddington, and on the way in this year I did notice that there were people being stop and searched randomly by security... once in though...

Of course they turn a blind eye to quite a few things that go on rather than have a serious downer on anyone who is not bothering anyone else and simply having a good time. They certainly did do a lot more than f**k all though and did their job very well by all accounts.

I didn't realise and now I do, I am not changing my opinion. What I will say is that I meant the police did "F**k all" towards the weed smokers. I was impressed with how there seemed to be a mutual thing between festival goers and the coppers that so long as they didnt take the piss they couyld get away with it.

In the real world they would have got their ass kicked. But on the fip side I didn't see any trouble going on so they must have done something right.

This year was the first year I have seen the Stone Circle being actively policed by undercover coppers . . . . got a real close up view when 6 of them took one of the usual "circle shopkeepers" down and they rolled practically on top of me!

To be fair they did it that fast and with that little noise the guy was in cuffs, his copious stash put into a carrier bag, the ground searched and everyone gone within about a minute.

I must admit the "Cuffs CC" polo shirt one of the coppers had on was clearly some kind of "in joke"

My 14 year old son was sat outside our tent as I was inside getting changed, when a man approached him and asked if he was sorted. My son had no idea what he was talking about and just said yes thanks and the man moved on. Good job my husband wasn't around or there would have been one less pusher on this earth

About 2am on Sunday night I was walking along the railway track away from Shangri-La. A random bloke accosted me to loudly ask "mate, is there anywhere to buy drugs in there?"

Being someone who tends to stick to alcohol, I could only remark "I would've thought so" before letting him wander off. Made me chuckle though. If he did end up making a transaction, it would probably be the least subtle ever.

Your lad was probably just trying to score a slice of cake without you knowing.
Edited by johnmcga

Just come accross this thread.

thank you for the memories that came back. Excellent days (until the big london drug dealers started appearing which was unpleasant). But in the early days you could walk up to one of the many buses and they would have a blackboard up with a menu of the drugs on sale. You could also have a natter with them about where it was from, what weight (e.g. mg for acid) a little sample of the goods and even a little barter. Like a little farmers market for drugs.Oh and the hot knive tents :D

Edited by Cooter