• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

I didn't remove anything from my post. I corrected the the original as it had my comments inside your post as I had misplaced the quotations.

Retard.

The retard is you, you f**king liar.

You're worthless scum that's not even prepared to stand behind your own doings. It doesn't get more pathetic than that.

Liverpool had Downing bid accepted, 20 big ones!

Villa didn't have a lot of choice in the end - Downing put in a transfer request. So with the improved offer and that transfer request, deal done.

The little bit I've read has Villa saying they can get a better player and have cash to spare. If that's really the case then it's a great deal for them.

But while there's always under-valued players to be had, I'm not entirely sure that's the case with wingers right now - everyone seems to want wingers this summer.

PMSL :lol::lol:

I'm guessing this is going to be another Levy 'coup' like the sale of Berba, where he gets a great price in £££s for the player, but with a much greater price paid by the club for the disruption, and quite possibly a sale so late that Spurs won't have the chance to spend on a replacement player.

Can you not read??

The quote to which you refer, is still there. It was moved as originally it appeared within your quote when it was mine, cos I f**ked the quoting up in my reply. When I noticed later, I edited it to correct it.

Now kindly wind your neck in.

So what you're saying is that you *DID* present your own words as mine, as I said. So you're guilty as charged.

It's not me that needs to wind my neck in.

Liverpool had Downing bid accepted, 20 big ones!

There's an interesting snippet in the Beeb's story on this, which I guess says why Liverpool were so keen to get Downing....

Downing completed more crosses in open play - 135 - than any other player in the Premier League last season. No other player has beaten that amount for any of the last three campaigns.

I'd guess that's a very good stat for a player playing in a middling team.

Villa didn't have a lot of choice in the end - Downing put in a transfer request. So with the improved offer and that transfer request, deal done.

The little bit I've read has Villa saying they can get a better player and have cash to spare. If that's really the case then it's a great deal for them.

But while there's always under-valued players to be had, I'm not entirely sure that's the case with wingers right now - everyone seems to want wingers this summer.

My feeling is that downing will end up being a bit of a squad player at liverpool. I dont think that he has improved as much as I had expected when he first started out. In terms of british wingers he is definitely up there but the fact is he should have made the england left midfield position his own over the last few years and the fact he hasnt should cause a few concerns. i can see him being a bit like milner at city in that he will spend far less time on the pitch but seems to have a decent attitude so proibably wont kick up a fuss.

Edited by Wooderson

My feeling is that downing will end up being a bit of a squad player at liverpool. I dont think that he has improved as much as I had expected when he first started out. In terms of british wingers he is definitely up there but the fact is he should have made the england left midfield position his own over the last few years and the fact he hasnt should cause a few concerns. i can see him being a bit like milner at city in that he will spend far less time on the pitch but seems to have a decent attitude so proibably wont kick up a fuss.

I know what you mean about his England place - I used to think he was rubbish - but I do think he's improved a fair bit since then. He defo looked to me like he'd had his best season at Villa last year.

Much like it seems you're thinking, I'm having trouble seeing how he'll fit into the team (same with Henderson too) and who would be dropped to include him - but at the same time I'm thinking that they must be working to some sort of plan, and of course if they're playing Carroll they need someone to put in crosses for him. Downing fits the bill for this (providing the crosses are good of course).

Given the price they paid for Carroll he should be just about the first name on the team sheet for every match, but perhaps the Liverpool plan is have two plans - a 'big' team (with Carroll) for playing the likes of the 'tougher' teams such as Stoke, and a more refined team making more use of Suarez's silky skills for playing the likes of Utd. If that's the case then I guess you could be right about Downing not being a permanent team fixture.

Not when only 7 goals came from all those crosses. No good just knockig in crosses if they dont get to the man.

There's two sides of that tho - the crosses, and what someone on the end of them does with them.

It's certainly the case that Villa had general problems with scoring goals last season, so I'm not sure that the stat you've given is entirely fair on Downing.

There's two sides of that tho - the crosses, and what someone on the end of them does with them.

It's certainly the case that Villa had general problems with scoring goals last season, so I'm not sure that the stat you've given is entirely fair on Downing.

Edited by The Nal

Still though - 20 million!! If Woy had've spent £83 million on Carroll, Henderson, Adam and Downing, Liverpool fans would have his head on a stick outside Anfield. His family may also be dead. Everyone has more faith in Kenny though - me included, which is the only reason I'm not bent over in hysterical laughter at the moment.

It's defo a lot from one angle, but decent midfielders always sell at a premium, and the fact that wingers seem to be first on every clubs buy-lists this summer won't have helped the price. From one angle, the near-£20M bid you've made for Nasri is even more, when you consider there's only a year left on his contract; against that, Adam isn't bad value.

I know what you're saying about Woy, and the comparison with Kenny. But Kenny probably (most of it was a long time ago, so they're fading memories) has a very decent record with his buys, while Woy has never been more than averagely successful wherever he's been, including at 'mega' clubs.

It'll be interesting to see if Kenny does anything unusual/unexpected with the players he'll have at the start of the season. I don't think anyone expected him to mess with the team he fielded and the formations he used when he took over, but what he did was very successful. Maybe he's got similar surprises up his sleeve for next season.

I've gotta say that I always thought that was the case. If Utd are really after a player - and this Sneijder rumour has been going round for a year or more - it tends to become a done deal far quicker than this would be.