Freezing Cider

Guest mightyDOB

hi all,

I took advantage of the Tesco offer and grabbed a few boxes of Westons still cider. Just wondering if anyone ever frozen boxes (bags) of cider before, was thinking I would freeze a couple so there is a chance they will be cold later in the festival.

Advice appreciated B)

hi all,

I took advantage of the Tesco offer and grabbed a few boxes of Westons still cider. Just wondering if anyone ever frozen boxes (bags) of cider before, was thinking I would freeze a couple so there is a chance they will be cold later in the festival.

Advice appreciated B)

I think I would do what the OP said, freeze a small bottle allow to defrost and drink to see how it copes...

this may be an urban myth but when i have left things in the freezer by mistake i find it to be true...................freezing alcohol makes the drink lose the alcohol.

last year i just brought them to almost freezing and then kept them in an ice box, 48 cans of magners.

this may be an urban myth but when i have left things in the freezer by mistake i find it to be true...................freezing alcohol makes the drink lose the alcohol.

last year i just brought them to almost freezing and then kept them in an ice box, 48 cans of magners.

Cheers for replies all,

Seems the general consensus is don't, which is fine by me don’t want to risk the taste of the lovely stuff. Won’t bother with the test because I have zero will power and I know as soon as I open the box I will end up drinking it before glasto!

I will try the ground sheet idea because I remember reading that somewhere else too, I don't mind if it's not freezing anyway. Slightly warm cider is certainly better than warm larger!

Cheers again for replies :)

Freezing organic things can break down the structure of the substance as the water in it expands, which is why meat always tastes different after freezing. I don't see why it wouldn't affect cider taste too. To what degree I've got no idea though.

i did exactly this last year (freezing a box of Westons) it tasted exactly the same once it had thawed out , no problems what so ever.

remove the bladder from the box and dring a small glass (about 300ml) in order to leave room for expansion as it freezes

• 1 year later...

Ok, bumped this from 2010 because it's important info right now. I've got 5 boxes of 3 litre Westons cider boxes. Whats's the 2011 thoughts on freezing this stuff and adding the bladders to my huge coolbox? How long to thaw, will it lose alcohol, will it taste just as good?