Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Freezing Cider

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 mightyDOB

mightyDOB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

hi all,

I took advantage of the Tesco offer and grabbed a few boxes of Westons still cider. Just wondering if anyone ever frozen boxes (bags) of cider before, was thinking I would freeze a couple so there is a chance they will be cold later in the festival.

Advice appreciated cool.gif

#2 strudders

strudders

staying out for the summer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (mightyDOB @ Jun 9 2010, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi all,

I took advantage of the Tesco offer and grabbed a few boxes of Westons still cider. Just wondering if anyone ever frozen boxes (bags) of cider before, was thinking I would freeze a couple so there is a chance they will be cold later in the festival.

Advice appreciated B)

My experience is that would be a bad thing. Brothers or fizzy stuff would be OK but Westons I would expect taste horrible unless fully Thawed.

If I was you I would decant some into plastic bottle at home and try....

However I suspect that once thawed it will be like drinking rancid piss as the flavour will have been tarnished.

#3 dvjj

dvjj

1999..So much more than a weekend!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:03 AM

I think I would do what the OP said, freeze a small bottle allow to defrost and drink to see how it copes...

#4 treacle

treacle

Festival Mum!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:35 AM

Don't ruin the cider! Just pop it under your groundsheet for an hour or so before you drink it and it'll be lovely and chilled.

#5 luckyg

luckyg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

this may be an urban myth but when i have left things in the freezer by mistake i find it to be true...................freezing alcohol makes the drink lose the alcohol.

last year i just brought them to almost freezing and then kept them in an ice box, 48 cans of magners.

#6 vinylvictim

vinylvictim

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (luckyg @ Jun 9 2010, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this may be an urban myth but when i have left things in the freezer by mistake i find it to be true...................freezing alcohol makes the drink lose the alcohol.

last year i just brought them to almost freezing and then kept them in an ice box, 48 cans of magners.

I'm sure that must be Myth. It'll take the fizz out but can't see how the alcohol could escape. It has a lower freezing point than water so will still be fluid whilst all the juicey bits are ice - but it can't go anywhere and would just mix up again when it's defrosted.

I've frozen vodka (deliberately) before and its been fine, can't see why a fruit based drink would be any different.

It would probably ruin the flavour of cider though

#7 mightyDOB

mightyDOB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

Cheers for replies all,

Seems the general consensus is don't, which is fine by me donít want to risk the taste of the lovely stuff. Wonít bother with the test because I have zero will power and I know as soon as I open the box I will end up drinking it before glasto!

I will try the ground sheet idea because I remember reading that somewhere else too, I don't mind if it's not freezing anyway. Slightly warm cider is certainly better than warm larger!

Cheers again for replies smile.gif

#8 Mr.Tickle

Mr.Tickle

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

Maybe I'm being thick but....why would it lose it's flavour because of freezing it?!

#9 King Kong

King Kong

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

Has anyone tried this new pear cider ? - £2.97 for 2 litres

http://www.tesco.com...s/?id=266418197

#10 loosechange

loosechange

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Tickle @ Jun 9 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm being thick but....why would it lose it's flavour because of freezing it?!

It wouldn't "lose" it's flavour entirely, but basically the flavour would be impaired because - unless you're using Heston Blumenthal's kitchen to do it - it'll separate as it freezes.

You'd probably not really notice (or care) if it was Strongbow but you almost certainly would with something like Westons.

#11 Mr.Tickle

Mr.Tickle

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

Ok, when it defrosts though doesn't it mix together again?

#12 ukslim

ukslim

\oo/ (^o^) \oo/

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Tickle @ Jun 9 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. Yes.

I think the issues you'd have would be if you tried to drink it when it was only partially thawed.

Which, of course, you'd do, if you were at your campsite and that's all you had smile.gif

#13 loosechange

loosechange

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Tickle @ Jun 9 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd need to "assist" the mixing because it defrosts at different rates as the previous poster says, so when it's completely defrosted, untouched, you'll have two different layers essentially - which is why it tastes "different".

The OP is about cider, granted, but take a bottle of wheat beer, or some such - if you can bear to waste it - freeze it and defrost it again for a visual example of the separation I'm on about.

#14 darkfish

darkfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Freezing organic things can break down the structure of the substance as the water in it expands, which is why meat always tastes different after freezing. I don't see why it wouldn't affect cider taste too. To what degree I've got no idea though.

#15 lord stradmor

lord stradmor

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

If you freeze cider, what you will get is Applejack - twice as strong as cider.

http://www.ehow.com/...-applejack.html

#16 fur_q

fur_q

Uzi Lover

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

i did exactly this last year (freezing a box of Westons) it tasted exactly the same once it had thawed out , no problems what so ever.

remove the bladder from the box and dring a small glass (about 300ml) in order to leave room for expansion as it freezes

#17 Cooter

Cooter

Worthy and wasted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Ok, bumped this from 2010 because it's important info right now. I've got 5 boxes of 3 litre Westons cider boxes. Whats's the 2011 thoughts on freezing this stuff and adding the bladders to my huge coolbox? How long to thaw, will it lose alcohol, will it taste just as good?