Volunteer For Summer Sundae

Guest Completewasters

Complete Wasters is a community recycling group, looking for volunteers to help at Summer Sundae

Work for 4 Hours per day helping with recycling, and the rest of your time is your own - interested?

Then Email completewasters.co.uk@hotmail.co.uk

or visit www.completewasters.co.uk for an application form.

For the 10th year in a row Complete Wasters will again be on site encouraging recycling and picking up the litter from the careless minority. In the 10 years of festivals at De Montfort Hall they have collected an estimated 250,000 bottles and cans for recycling. Their dedicated team are again looking for volunteers to assist them with their work. We ask that volunteers agree to 4 hours work per day over the three-day festival, leaving the rest of the day for you to enjoy the festival.

The work includes litter picking, sorting recyclables and moving wheeled bins typically working 2 or 3 hours during the day and early evening with a further hour or more after the last act. It can be hard work but also lots of fun and to make sure you don’t miss your favourite band Complete Wasters will try to build your shifts around any one act you are desperate to see at the festival. Also, if you’re part of the clean up crew on the Monday and Tuesday after the festival you get a better chance to see more of the bands over the weekend. Please note a deposit is required to cover the cost of entry, which is returned on completion of your shifts and volunteers must 16+.

Complete Wasters will also be onsite at the Big Session Festival selling ethical, fairtrade and recycled gifts from their Mongolian yurt Eco-Shop. Look out for the new range of wallets made from beer cans and licence plates as well as designer handbags created from vinyl records and juice cartons.

We're also interested to know whether people attending the festival would be prepared to pay a couple of quid for a pouch or carton to put their cigarette butts in and also if they would prepared to pay a deposit for a reusable plastic glass and or be rewarded in some small way if you return your plastic glass. Hardly a scientific survey I know. Any thoughts welcomed.

• 1 month later...

We're also interested to know whether people attending the festival would be prepared to pay a couple of quid for a pouch or carton to put their cigarette butts in and also if they would prepared to pay a deposit for a reusable plastic glass and or be rewarded in some small way if you return your plastic glass. Hardly a scientific survey I know. Any thoughts welcomed.

yeah, as an environmental scientist by profession, im a big fan of deposit schemes. i'd bet thats the real env friendly way to go. charge people a deposit for a reusable cup, which can be washed. to be honest, if it was down to me. like the state of hawaii, all cans and bottles would have a bottle tax on them.

yeah, as an environmental scientist by profession, im a big fan of deposit schemes. i'd bet thats the real env friendly way to go. charge people a deposit for a reusable cup, which can be washed. to be honest, if it was down to me. like the state of hawaii, all cans and bottles would have a bottle tax on them.

A couple of quid for something to put butts in - if I was still smoking, no. The little film canisters were really handy before, but I guess there was only a finite amount of those... How about just the occasional reminder from the stage not to chuck them on the floor?

Deposit/reward scheme for plastic glasses - yes, absolutely.

All the best.

• 3 weeks later...

A few bits of Complete Wasters type info.

Victoria Campsite -

Recycling facilities on Victoria will be in the form of red 240l (domestic size) wheelie bins, these will be for paper/card (clean - no food or liquid), cans and plastics (these also need to be clean, so as not to contaminate the paper and card - which will be pulped rather than composted). Feel free to tread on particularly big plastic bottles so that they don't take up so much room. If you have managed to sneak glass on to the site PLEASE do not put the empties in these bins, instead please take them to the stewarding cabins. the plastic bottles and cans can easily be extracted either by ourselves or the waste contractor, but as this material will go into a compactor before it is sorted, this we smash any glass which can damage the sorting belt that the material is passed over.

Regents will have yellow bins for cans and blue bins for plastics, as well as red for paper and card (again please ensure that this is free (as much as possible) from food or liquid). Also it would be great both for us and DMH stewards if any bags of rubbish were put in the skip rather than the bins on site, this saves the bins from getting full really quickly (especially on Monday morning).

The other areas will have the yellow (cans) blue (plastics) and red (paper and card) bins.

Smokers - Please ask at the wristband exchange/campsite steward cabins for something to put you cig butts in. Also be on the look out for our volunteers handing them out.

Main Stage arena - if you build up a bag of rubbish, please don't expect our volunteers to take this from you as they walk through the crowd between the acts. They are there to collect odd bits of litter and recycling, and don't need the extra weight of a rubbish, when they still have to continue to walk through the crowd. In all likelihood you will be less than 50 yards from a bin.

Feedback forms - it would be great if people could request that there is deposit scheme/reusable cup system at future SSW.

Apologies for any preachy bits - i know most of you are the 'converted'.

Enjoy fringe week and we'll see you at the festival.

(the running order ive seen shows caribou and local natives playing for an hour each, and go team overlapping with Frankie and the heartstrings for 30 mins)

Edited by Completewasters

Bit late now, but for future years... Latitude run a great cup reuse scheme. You pay £2 or 3 I think to buy the cup, then get your money back if you return it. There are also quite a few special festival designed cups that are collectable, so many people just kept the nice cup and took it home! It definately seemed to work, with hardly any litter on site.