Glasto Horror Stories

Guest Jonny Hobbs

Okay, so having never been to Glasto before and this year being my first, i dont know how much truth is in some of the stories i have been hearing.

Apparently, there is no need to take any more than one set of clothes to Glasto, as any more will be stolen from your tent. This sounds stupid, but is there actually any truth in this?

Feel free to respond and post any other horror stories you have been told over the years and whether there is in fact, any truth to them.

I once had my money and phone stolen from my tent when I was sleeping, the kindly thief did leave me my bank cards so I could get some more funds, my own fault for not putting my valuables in my sleeping bag with me. T in the Park has been the only place where my tent has been well and truly gutted while I wasn't there.

Edited by sven mk 2

Okay, so having never been to Glasto before and this year being my first, i dont know how much truth is in some of the stories i have been hearing.

Apparently, there is no need to take any more than one set of clothes to Glasto, as any more will be stolen from your tent. This sounds stupid, but is there actually any truth in this?

Feel free to respond and post any other horror stories you have been told over the years and whether there is in fact, any truth to them.

Can't say I've ever had anything stolen from my tent in the five Glastos I've attended. That said I doubt anyone would want my clothes!

That's not to say thefts don't happen, of course they do as with everywhere else. The trick is to be sensible with what you take and how you store it.

The horror story that always goes around about someone having fallen into a longdrop. Alas it's sort of true (i.e. it happened at Leeds Festival last year:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/L...200908415372148

Edited by budvar

Don;t leave anything valuable in your tent - we were fine and had nothing stolen. Not sure what the figure for crime were last year but I would not think they are high. Don;t panic - there are loads of Glastonbury rumours and very few of the bad ones are true

Last year was my first year and my Mum looked at the webcam and texted me to say' everyone looks nice and clean ...' - she was very surprised - it made me giggle !!

this is my 3rd year and i havent had any problems with anything being stolen from my tent in the past. i've also been to reading for the last 7 years and never had anything stolen and/or set on fire. its all about keeping the most valuable stuff on you and hiding anything else around your tent. make friends with neighbours around you and dont camp near footpaths, thats my only advice. i've probably been lucky above anything else though..

Edited by paulomas

To be honest I think most horror is self-inflicted at Glastonbury. :P

You could be very unlucky and have something bad like this happen to you, but as someone who nearly got shot two weeks ago just sitting outside a pub on a busy main road, let me tell you: Bad things can happen anytime, anywhere and are generally completely random events.

You can take precautions as suggested, like sticking valuables in the lock-up but try not to worry too much about it. You're more likely to get soaked through than robbed! :P

2008 was the only year I have ever seen anyone rifling tents, they were young lads 13-16ish. Looked like a right bunch of skegs, thay were all just laughing when the police had them questioning / searcing them. Must have been to young to prosecute.This was in the field next to the mandella bar, where my moron mate decided to pitch my tent, as he went down on the wednesday an i couldn't get there that year till the friday.

This probably happened as no id was needed for ticket and you could just buy them up to the start of the festival.

Had a mate who had a massive tent / marque they got out of the loot back in 99. They were near the dance tent (tent not area back then) and they got jumped by a gang in the tent slashed the sides open and taxed them for their money / drugs etc. This was pre super duper fence though.

Obvious thing to do is can somewhere quiet away from the paths and get to know the neighbours.

somebody isn't going to randomly walk into a field and pick your tent out of 5000 and steal your socks.

keep your money on you and you'll be fine.

I had my wellies stolen last year - just BEFORE it rained!

Oddly enough on the Sunday I was talking to a girl camped near me, told her what had happened and she confessed that it was her. She gave me my wellies back and two cans of stella by way of an apology. I was happy because the Stella took my mind off the trench foot.

• Upvote 1

I had my wellies stolen last year - just BEFORE it rained!

Oddly enough on the Sunday I was talking to a girl camped near me, told her what had happened and she confessed that it was her. She gave me my wellies back and two cans of stella by way of an apology. I was happy because the Stella took my mind off the trench foot.

Last year on the thursday me and my cousin spent the day sampling cider and Lager stopped about 3am in the morning woke up to find all our change on floor of tent didn't think anything about till the people in next tent asked if we owned a brown wallet which was my cousin's cos their was one just outside our tent We had both been robbed while we were sleeping about £500 between us and my camera but worse of all my torch I mean how low can you go ? But I put my wallet in my fleece which I had rolled up for my pillow Both wallets had been emptied but cards had been left thank you Mr Thief They had stolen an ounce of weed from the tent next to us they were not happy and some money and tent in front of us got robbed :P

But did not stop us having agreat time and claimed it all back on my travel insurance

I have had horror stories I've been a star in in years gone by, all pre-super fence.

Last year was first year back after a long absence, and first since super-fence, I felt extremely secure and unlike times gone by there were no moments of scariness :P

7th Glasto coming up, never had anything stolen except maybe a camping chair I've left out. Be sensible, zip up your tent, sleep with wallet in your pocket or at the bottom of your sleeping bag and have your head near he entrance. If you have beers in your tent, take them out of the crate and spread them around, at least then they'll have more trouble nicking them all :P . I generally leave my tent in a state with stuff stewn about the place to deter thieves and always carry my money, phone and drugs about my person. Don't leave camping chairs around outside your tent at night, they'll be theived.

Edited by Macca3031

Been to 7 Leeds fests and a Glastonbury and never had anything other than camping chairs that we left out nicked. Also at Leeds, several times my hat has been stolen from my head in a thick crowd, which is just plain irritating.

Just don't leave anything valuable in your tent if you're out, and when you're in it keep in in your sleeping bag/pillow, simple and no need to worry :P

Oh, and don't padlock your tent, it lets people know there's probably something worth nicking!

Edited by Bradders

Never had anything stolen from my tent, but did once come back to the campsite where a large group of us had 6 or 7 tents pitched together, to find that the spot where my tent had been was now completely vacant. Had my wallet on me, but the tent contained all my other possessions, most notably my entire stash.

This was just after a couple of minor annoyances had put me in a bit of a bad mood, and so resulted in a full on strop. Sat down, smoked a cigarette and had a good old sulk.

Fortunately it was only about ten minutes later that i heard a mate shouting from nearby, 'This looks a lot like your tent Jim'. Turned out a couple of 'jokers' had unpitched the thing, carried it a short distance away and repitched it under a gazebo.

Wanted petty revenge, so considering swapping the tent for a large turd under their gazebo, but couldnt be sure about who had actually nicked the thing. Anyway, the relief at getting all my stuff back soon washed the anger away.

Amongst all the rumoured horror stories I feel I have to add a story that gives a little more faith in other festival goers.

Benicassim 2007, a friend of mine lost her camera in the main arena early one evening while a "little" worse for wear. After a night of panic and stress - it wasn't exactly a cheap camera, only just over 6 months old and was a birthday present (yes, i know, why she took it with her is anyone's guess!), she accepted she'd never see it again...that is until a whole 24 hours later when a group of randoms approached us by our tents early one morning holding the camera. They had looked through the photos on it and recognised our camping area, which admittedly was quite distinctive, so chose to return it :P They wouldn't even accept the offer of drinks etc in the way of thanks, just wanted a promise that we would keep the photos they took of themselves and send them their way when we got home!!

My point - There are plenty of friendly, helpful and kind festival goers to more than make up for any horror stories you may hear.