Pigs intransigence helps cancel Glade

Guest dorlomin

That's Big Green Gathering, Strawberry Fair and now Glade - three very different but lovely festies, all squashed by some combination of police / ramped-up security requirements / hoops-too-high-to-jump-through... What's going on? Are we heading towards festivals only being able to exist if they're massively sponsored / government-endorsed??? Eventually this can only lead back to an explosion of free festivals and diy-parties... ??? In the meantime, get out and support the remaining independent events - Knockengorroch, Beatherder, Solfest, Eden...

Glade was probably the best festival I ever attended, especially when it comes to electronic music. It had such a feel good atmosphere and I met so many great people.

Hope that it will return in 2011 or at least the promoters do something else perhaps on a smaller scale like the first glade in 2004. Becuase we're sick of big corporate events, there not festivals but just big gigs in a field sponsored by beer comapnies.

what a pisser :P

I was never a massive dance-head but I went to all the glade fests bar the first and it was up there with my favourite festivals for the way it was organized the crowd and general ambience - was the ideal post-glasto fest. Hope it returns and best wishes to all.

i know big events need to be policed, "simply because that event has attracted X amount of certain "types" of people therefore that events' organizers have to pay for it".

but i can't help feeling that these events, that have clearly defined boundaries & controlled access & exits, with their own security, that, why on earth do the plod command such payment when they're just doing what they get paid to do already? i think they've become the mafia - they are demanding money for a protection racket. surely, if they WANT (or feel they need to) be there, then they should charge all the overtime & extra resources to the GOVERNMENT? i mean come on, isn't it also the governments wish to clamp down on use / possession of illegal substances, drunken behavior and/or violence* (not to mention the governments / middle classes view of dance music in general)?

it's funny because, most of the drugs have been killed off, alcohol price is sky high, smoking is restricted, violence is typically VERY low at non-commercial events - so why the price hike anyway? it's sickening that you can get so far in a licensing application but the MAFIA po-lice start offering 'protection'. extortion imo

It's a f**king disgrace if you ask me. Glade have publicly blamed the policy for the cancellation of the festival. Why charge 100,000 pounds more to police a literally crime free festival then not respond when asked to compromise? Money grabbing pigs!

The following might give some insight to what's going on at the moment.....

Music Week - Row erupts over police costs