'The Enid'

Guest garethslee

I do !

When they played Leeds Uni back in the early 80's I got em to sign my album.

Got a few of their albums !

I got into em cos Tommy Vance ( god rest his soul ) played em a bit on his Friday Rock Show.

I was into DC , Saxon , BOC and RUSH at the time , and really liked what I heard !

:P

They were about 30 years too early.

Not using records companies and only selling their stuff by mail order.

They could have done with the internet then !

Oh WOW ! Not only someone else around here who's vaguely heard of them but someone who's has actually seen them doing their stuff :P

For some strange and still totally unexplained reason at the time they first appeared, I kinda decided they *really* weren't my thing despite the fact that I'm almost as much into good classical music as I am rock and metal in particular but just about anything and everything else in general. But when I found out they'd been booked as penultimate slot at Cambridge Rock Festival this year, I felt I needed to do a bit of listening and give them another go. Now, I *really* love their stuff and have literally spent days listening almost non-stop to the 10 studio albums I grabbed copies of a few months back :P Brilliant, simply brilliant, and I honestly can't believe that I just dismissed them at pretty much the first listen all those years ago and I've still got absolutely no idea why I did either. I fully appreciate that they're defo not going to be everyone's cup of tea and all that but I genuinely think Godfrey is bl**dy genius and deserves shedloads more recognition than he's ever had to date. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Tommy Vance was spot on with his shameless plugging and his opinion that Godfrey is the greatest composer this country has ever produced. I think the nail is well and truly hit on the head by effectively saying bl**dy good job but rather sadly let down by poor timing - they appeared many years if not several decades too early apart from anything else :lol:

I am so looking forward to seeing them in August. I rather suspect that generally speaking the gig will either go down as amazingly good or unbelievable bad - I really don't think there will be any shades of grey in peeps opinions - but I can pretty much guarantee right now that I'm going to enjoy them bigtime no matter what they decide to perform.

Just outta morbid curiosity, any idea why they were allegedly "banned" from Glasto ? I gather they played Reading amongst other festivals and by all accounts went down like a lead balloon despite copious quantities of mind altering substances being employed by almost all at the time :P but apart from that, it still seems way more than a tad odd to have been banned from Glasto !

Edited by mikeb

Why The Enid were banned from Glastonbury, taken from here...

http://www.dprp.net/forgotten/enid/index3.html

"Thorn EMI were actively involved in the production of the guided missile weapons carrying nuclear warheads and RJG though it appropriate to use this theme as an excuse to put more pressure on the record label which denied any involvement with nuclear armaments.

The Enid set out to expose this and thus cause embarrassment to company executives among which were Bruce Kent and EMI boss Peter Jamieson. The aim was to cause an upset within EMI as well as disrupt the artist roster within the company as many of the artists on the company books were decisively anti-nuclear.

The next step for the group was to put pressure on Michael Eavis, organiser of the Glastonbury Festival, to ban all EMI acts. This was done but the next year EMI leaned heavily on Eavis resulting in The Enid being banned from Glastonbury!#"

I saw em on the Salome tour ( I am sure ) , and the albums I have are

Something Wicked

Aeire Fairie Nonsense

Salome

They may be worth a bit now cos they are mint and one is signed !!!!!

I know Tommy V used to play Somethng Wicked quite a bit , I remember cos I teped his show

once and he reminded people that it would never be available in any shops.

But I got mine from Virgin on Oxford Street when I was in London on a school trip ! :P

Oh Bollocks !

I have just seen that they are playing Leeds , but I am away on my hols.

We should have been back yesterday but cos of the Ash it got re - scheduled !

Volcanic Ash Thwarts Ivan's reunion with The Enid

:P

I saw The Enid at Glastonbury years ago. I seem to recall they were on shortly before The Smiths! They produced quite an unusual live sound at the time - I definitely remember them playing land Of Hope And Glory! A truly great band