Things that ur happy about

BlackHole2006

6 hours ago, thetime said:

I'm photographing a wedding today, bride and groom making it a late afternoon wedding makes me happy.

i get to watch the Liverpool v Utd game now. :D

I've just moved to near your neck of the woods, from Birmingham. I've just come back from a walk in the town with my wife and we noticed a wedding party all dressed up the the nine's in and outside of an ice cream parlor. Whoever was getting married chose well, what with the sun being out in all it's glory. Not sure what they were all doing at an ice cream parlor (apart from eating ice cream), as it's not traditionally the venue for a wedding breakfast. Still, good luck to them, as it's nice to go to a wedding which is a bit different.

The eerie pink glow of a martian morning out there today makes me happy.  I got up late to facebook posts of red suns and the view out front does not disappoint.  It's my day off and I'd had a wake and bake breakfast of coffee and a reefer before opening the curtains to the view, lovely stuff.

My next door neighbour and mate is just out of hospital after an op to remove the cancerous chunks of his bowel.  All went well but he's not allowed to lift anything even slightly heavy or drive for six weeks while the stitches heal. 

He runs a one-man-band burglar alarm company so can't respond to call outs at present.  So I've agreed to drive him and do the ladder work.  Despite being shit-scared of heights, this morning I climbed the ladders up the side of a house and replaced a faulty bell box while he shouted instructions from down below.

He said afterwards in Apprentice-style "You're hired."  Not that I want to be.  Tomorrow more ladder climbing as we remove a complete alarm system from a house, to be re-installed later at the house-owner's new home.

And I'm still shit-scared of heights but pleased to be able to help a mate.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

My next door neighbour and mate is just out of hospital after an op to remove the cancerous chunks of his bowel.  All went well but he's not allowed to lift anything even slightly heavy or drive for six weeks while the stitches heal. 

He runs a one-man-band burglar alarm company so can't respond to call outs at present.  So I've agreed to drive him and do the ladder work.  Despite being shit-scared of heights, this morning I climbed the ladders up the side of a house and replaced a faulty bell box while he shouted instructions from down below.

He said afterwards in Apprentice-style "You're hired."  Not that I want to be.  Tomorrow more ladder climbing as we remove a complete alarm system from a house, to be re-installed later at the house-owner's new home.

Ah well done grumpyhack. It's shit having to think of finances at times like these so you're doing him a huge good turn.

8 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Nice one grumpy. 

Is tomorrow's job a wireless burglar alarm system? I ask as a feign nod to my former profession.

19 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice one grumpy. 

Is tomorrow's job a wireless burglar alarm system? I ask as a feign nod to my former profession.

Former profession Yog - not burglar I trust! 

Today we did one wireless system removal, but I still had to climb up to remove the bell box and unscrew a few sensors in the house.  And we also did a routine inspection call in the most lavish house I think I've ever visited in the Vale of Glamorgan.  You get to see how the other half lives.

But got a day off tomorrow

41 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

Today we did one wireless system removal, but I still had to climb up to remove the bell box and unscrew a few sensors in the house.  And we also did a routine inspection call in the most lavish house I think I've ever visited in the Vale of Glamorgan.  You get to see how the other half lives.

I can confirm that I am not, have never been, and would never be a burglar. That said, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when one of those major 'teams' swing in and successfully (at least in the short term) burgle a major safety deposit box companies vault. I would love to see what they see, as once inside the vault, they start opening each individual safe deposit box. 

As an aside, it's been said that many a successful but very naughty criminal uses these safety deposit boxes. I guess if you rob some of them, then you'd be better off with the police catching you first then if they were to.

Anyway, the professional interest lies in the fact that I worked as a Building Surveyor for many a year, and just thought it would be quite a tight thing to do to remove a burglar system to your new home, unless it was a wireless one. I mean, it could technically be done, if it were a hard wired system, but would, as I say, be a little bit of a tight thing to do. That said, I recently moved in to a new home (old house) and the last owner had taken all the light bulbs away. 

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

I can confirm that I am not, have never been, and would never be a burglar. That said, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when one of those major 'teams' swing in and successfully (at least in the short term) burgle a major safety deposit box companies vault. I would love to see what they see, as once inside the vault, they start opening each individual safe deposit box. 

As an aside, it's been said that many a successful but very naughty criminal uses these safety deposit boxes. I guess if you rob some of them, then you'd be better off with the police catching you first then if they were to.

Anyway, the professional interest lies in the fact that I worked as a Building Surveyor for many a year, and just thought it would be quite a tight thing to do to remove a burglar system to your new home, unless it was a wireless one. I mean, it could technically be done, if it were a hard wired system, but would, as I say, be a little bit of a tight thing to do. That said, I recently moved in to a new home (old house) and the last owner had taken all the light bulbs away. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The first house we bought had no central heating and had a hot water geyser and gas fires instead. The previous owner ripped out the hot water geyser.

3 minutes ago, feral chile said:

The first house we bought had no central heating and had a hot water geyser and gas fires instead. The previous owner ripped out the hot water geyser.

I find it really difficult to actually be exposed to such levels of miserliness. The one that drives me Bucking Bronco insane mad is when shops selling newspapers turn the papers around so that you can't read the headlines. I mean, there you are, somebody who has gone in to their shop to buy something from them. Something which you both know cost them less to buy than they are charging you. However, that's not good enough for them in that they actually want to stop you reading 'their' words on the newspaper. 

There is little to no doubt in my mind that the people who do this are the very personification of scum. I mean, haven't they even heard of the long term benefits of adding value to the shopping experience! lol  

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh that is good news feral. :)

I could finally tell the kids all the facts.

It's weird though. It's changed me. I ended up telling my son it might be one of the best things that have happened to me :)

Edited by feral chile

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

I could finally tell the kids all the facts.

It's weird though. It's changed me. I ended up telling my son it might be one of the best things that have happened to me :)

Hello feral,

Being able to tell the kids all the facts must be a weight off your mind. It must be a very hard thing to do to keep that to yourself, so to speak. It's mostly a historical thing now, but I've always been amazed at my own mother's sacrifices and the burdens she took on to protect her brood. I guess it's the default option when you care for your family and others.

I'm really really pleased that you have told us too. It's also good to see that you are using the experience as a positive one. My ancestry is Irish, and man can they use any medical experience negatively, if they so wish. Mind you, in my case, they'll have all been affected by a strict Roman Catholic religious upbringing, so maybe that limited form of existentialism only allows that. It's good that you are less blinkered, in my opinion.

Yep, happy news, happy day. :)

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello feral,

Being able to tell the kids all the facts must be a weight off your mind. It must be a very hard thing to do to keep that to yourself, so to speak. It's mostly a historical thing now, but I've always been amazed at my own mother's sacrifices and the burdens she took on to protect her brood. I guess it's the default option when you care for your family and others.

I'm really really pleased that you have told us too. It's also good to see that you are using the experience as a positive one. My ancestry is Irish, and man can they use any medical experience negatively, if they so wish. Mind you, in my case, they'll have all been affected by a strict Roman Catholic religious upbringing, so maybe that limited form of existentialism only allows that. It's good that you are less blinkered, in my opinion.

Yep, happy news, happy day. :)

Yes telling the family was what caused me the most fear. From the day I saw my GP I knew what it was, we were talking treatment possibilities right then. And I could tell what was suspected as the tests were taking place. I bottled out of telling my husband till I had formal diagnosis though they had already indicated what the results would be.

Being the source of bad news and having to hurt my kids was the worst of it. I thought very carefully about how  I was going to present this, and chose my words very carefully throwing in 'safe' 'care' best choice' etc. to try to soften the news, and it seemed to work.

So I'm going to do an MA in creative writing, as I'm usually careful with words. I used to write loads of poetry before the mundane took over. I want something creative in my life, I want to be a wordsmith.

And an amazing positive that has come out of this is how kind people have been. Seeing all that good in people leaves me full of hope and love.

There are a lot of positives.

Edited by feral chile

8 hours ago, feral chile said:

Yes telling the family was what caused me the most fear. From the day I saw my GP I knew what it was, we were talking treatment possibilities right then. And I could tell what was suspected as the tests were taking place. I bottled out of telling my husband till I had formal diagnosis though they had already indicated what the results would be.

Being the source of bad news and having to hurt my kids was the worst of it. I thought very carefully about how  I was going to present this, and chose my words very carefully throwing in 'safe' 'care' best choice' etc. to try to soften the news, and it seemed to work.

So I'm going to do an MA in creative writing, as I'm usually careful with words. I used to write loads of poetry before the mundane took over. I want something creative in my life, I want to be a wordsmith.

And an amazing positive that has come out of this is how kind people have been. Seeing all that good in people leaves me full of hope and love.

I haven't read the whole thread but assume a cancer diagnosis? I'm in the same boat, unfortunately due to misdiagnosis I was already stage 4, but that was 6 years ago and still here and glastonburying. Currently waiting to find out if they will whip a lung out because spread to there. Anyway what I wanted to say was that I also have kids (3), and trying to be honest but reassuring is a difficult task. Got to get it right for their ages too.

I dont know about you but as well as dealing with the health condition you still feel like you need to do the protecting. My parents are elderly so have to be selective with what I tell them as well as the kids. Luckily I have great friends who I can be honest with, but even then its treatment facts...not the fact I'm shitting it! Husband I also try not to unload on because he has his own worries from being the one left to deal with things.

So wishing you the best of luck and treatment not too harsh. Glad for you caught it early. If you want to chat feel free to DM me. 

And yes to positives - gives a new outlook on life. Don't procrastinate - if you want to do it - do it!

Helen 

Edited by slash's hat

8 hours ago, feral chile said:

Hello feral,

I like the idea of doing a creative writing course. It's a course I have mulled over myself, in the past, as I like writing too. However, I have a more pressing educational requirement at the moment, which is learning to create a website. I have a need to create a couple of websites to promote a business and also my art work. I get the impression that you'd really enjoy doing an MA in creative writing, and also that you'd be good at it. I don't really get poetry, but do kind of understand that it's one of the cutting edges of the written word. I wish you all the best with the course.

I'm happy to hear that you are using the 'experience' as a positive on. Keep on keeping on. :)

26 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

I haven't read the whole thread but assume a cancer diagnosis? I'm in the same boat, unfortunately due to misdiagnosis I was already stage 4, but that was 6 years ago and still here and glastonburying. Currently waiting to find out if they will whip a lung out because spread to there. Anyway what I wanted to say was that I also have kids (3), and trying to be honest but reassuring is a difficult task. Got to get it right for their ages too.

I dont know about you but as well as dealing with the health condition you still feel like you need to do the protecting. My parents are elderly so have to be selective with what I tell them as well as the kids. Luckily I have great friends who I can be honest with, but even then its treatment facts...not the fact I'm shitting it! Husband I also try not to unload on because he has his own worries from being the one left to deal with things.

So wishing you the best of luck and treatment not too harsh. Glad for you caught it early. If you want to chat feel free to DM me. 

And yes to positives - gives a new outlook on life. Don't procrastinate - if you want to do it - do it!

Helen 

Hello Helen,

Your advice not to procrastinate is a good one. I wish that I wasn't so cursed with the problem. I could procrastinate for the country in any procrastination championship - if only I could get around to filling in the forms!

Keep on rocking.

All the best. :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Helen 

Hello Helen

Yes breast cancer. I think the urge to protect has kept me strong. My diagnosis came at a time that should have been joyous. My daughter had a baby and my son got married. I kept it secret till after my grandson was born but my husband works with my son in law's mum so wasn't able to wait till after my son's wedding. They arranged surgery around the wedding so I gave him a low key account with time to adjust beforehand.

I'm so sorry you were misdiagnosed and thank you for offering to chat. Likewise, if you feel the need to chat, you're welcome to message me to offload xx

Hugs xx

Had a good night out with our Glastonbury Gang, two of whos wives were diagnosed with breast cancer 10-12 years ago and are still going strong.

Incidentally, I used to teach creative writing and the advice I gave everyone was that you've got to enjoy writing for its own sake.  Never write hanging on to the hope of publication - remember J.K. Rowling got turned down by over a dozen publishers, so it shows how little publishers know.  If you do end up getting published that's a bonus.

For many people writing can be a great a form of therapy but be particularly careful with life stories.  Unless you are famous, the: "I was born in.... then I went to school.... then I went to uni....."  narratives can be very dull.  However accounts of what life was like at the time can be fascinating.  A now departed friend of mine Ken Blakemore wrote Sunnyside Down - Growing up in 1950s Britain"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/122329001915?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=54253526584&rlsatarget=pla-371379277589&abcId=1128946&adtype=pla&merchantid=9894804&poi=&googleloc=9045367&device=c&campaignid=857251143&crdt=0

I really recommend it.  He used to be a uni lecturer in Social Policy and he carried that over to his book with a chapter on the food people used to eat, a chapter on travel and getting around, a chapter on the world of work etc and it's absolutely riveting.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/sunnyside-down/ken-blakemore/9780750945356

Edited by grumpyhack

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Helen,

Your advice not to procrastinate is a good one. I wish that I wasn't so cursed with the problem. I could procrastinate for the country in any procrastination championship - if only I could get around to filling in the forms!

Keep on rocking.

All the best. :)

Thank you Yog.

I'm good at giving advice - actually following it is another matter. Though its not really procrastination that's the problem, its fear. Once I get through the fear then I'll crack on with whatever. I've gone to festivals and gigs on my own, which I never would have done before... why miss out just because mates can't get their arse in gear or want to go. However there are a couple of opportunities I've backed out of and regret doing so - but then we all carry regrets I guess, and maybe there was some celestial reason why I shouldn't have done it that I dont know about!

Anyway I'm glad to hear you are settled in your new abode, and hope you have much better luck from now on. I think I've said before that you are one of my favourite posters and love reading about your exploits through life - I would certainly say you've lived.