Your favourite Glasto images

Madabout G

Great map - how much has changed and how little hasn't in equal measure

cant find a sitemap for 87 but I do know I have it { in paper form }  but it cant be all that different from 86 below 

can you recall if the market was at the top end the first year you went ?

not really the market but the all important Reggae Tent { that was claimed to be a cafe when in fact they sold everything ' under the counter ' } - it was the only cafe I have seen where there was three heavy Bouncers on the door.

this was close to the market { in the top field } but they never moved - they just vanished - not sure if they were offered a place or more likely they decided to not push their luck as Police by then was onsite.

later found out they were from Bristol - - they were some heavy guys but they never bothered me.

sure there was a lot less stages but what the hell - we  still managed to meet friends even although none of us had mobile phones or GPS.

+ it was a lot easier to get tickets then.  

glasto-sitemap-1986.jpg

cant find a sitemap for 87 but I do know I have it { in paper form }  but it cant be all that different from 86 below 

can you recall if the market was at the top end the first year you went ?

not really the market but the all important Reggae Tent { that was claimed to be a cafe when in fact they sold everything ' under the counter ' } - it was the only cafe I have seen where there was three heavy Bouncers on the door.

this was close to the market { in the top field } but they never moved - they just vanished - not sure if they were offered a place or more likely they decided to not push their luck as Police by then was onsite.

later found out they were from Bristol - - they were some heavy guys but they never bothered me.

sure there was a lot less stages but what the hell - we  still managed to meet friends even although none of us had mobile phones or GPS.

+ it was a lot easier to get tickets then.  

glasto-sitemap-1986.jpg

No I think the market was almost where it is now to the right of the Pyramid or stage one here.

Love that the whole pyramid field is for camping.

I remember walking into town with a girlfriend in St. Albans and seeing a CND sign in a house window saying "Glastonbury tickets for sale here" so we knocked on the door and as it was pay day bought two on a whim.......

Those were the days!

No I think the market was almost where it is now to the right of the Pyramid or stage one here.

Love that the whole pyramid field is for camping.

I remember walking into town with a girlfriend in St. Albans and seeing a CND sign in a house window saying "Glastonbury tickets for sale here" so we knocked on the door and as it was pay day bought two on a whim.......

Those were the days! 

I used to go to the CND office near Old street - it used to be great - walk in bang the cash down and be handed the tickets there and then.

Can you imagine if they did that now ? people would be camping for weeks !!

I must scan in more images - I found a huge box full of old images from the late 70's and 80's - will get round to it sometime as they show some cracking shots of Glasto.

worker5-2.jpg

I used to go to the CND office near Old street - it used to be great - walk in bang the cash down and be handed the tickets there and then.

Can you imagine if they did that now ? people would be camping for weeks !!

I must scan in more images - I found a huge box full of old images from the late 70's and 80's - will get round to it sometime as they show some cracking shots of Glasto.

worker5-2.jpg

Great photo, better than most of the early ones on the Glastonbury website. Do you know the year?

Great photo, better than most of the early ones on the Glastonbury website. Do you know the year?

No but there is some years it cant be  

79 - wrong type of stage
81 - that was the year the CND sign fell off 
82 - Speaker stacks did not have the orange cover  
83 - Speaker stacks did not have the orange cover
84 - Speaker stacks did not have the orange cover
85 - That was the first year of the MUD - it was everywhere and there is now way would I risk a semi pro camera {  Nikon F2 } to take some shots
89 - for sure it was Not that year as I working that year  

so highly Unlikely it was 85 so either 86 or 87

there is no dates on the negative  .

here is a shot from the same negative - look over to the left - those fields were not in use before 84/85

work55er5.jpg

Those photos are brilliant - never seen such clear pictures of back then!

Look at them - with their bloody flags, blocking our view of the cowshed. And that fencing to backstage is incredible

I'm sorely jealous in case this sounds at all funny. That looks amazing

Those photos are brilliant - never seen such clear pictures of back then!

Look at them - with their bloody flags, blocking our view of the cowshed. And that fencing to backstage is incredible

I'm sorely jealous in case this sounds at all funny. That looks amazing

I am a old friend of Derek { people call him Fish } who was the lead singer for Marillion who played Glasto in 1983 - they played about noon Friday 17 June so about 10.30 I walked along to the gate and spoke to one of the security gave him a note and told him to hand it to the really tall guy { Derek is over 6' 6'' so you cant miss him } and he did and Derek came out with a pass for me - the backstage area then was tiny } - could you imagine trying to do that now ? they would tell you to get stuffed.

they were using part of the field behind it { mainly to land a helicopter } - no guest bar - no fancy restaurant - no BBC area - no Press area and no fancy toilets .

they sung Garden Party ,Charting The Single,Script For A Jester´s Tear, Assassing ( first time they played it live ), Chelsea Monday ,He Knows You Know ,Forgotten Sons ,Market Square Heroes and the best part for me is two of the tracks directly relates to events we had together in Galashiels { that is where he used to work as a Forester and where we would meet up but he comes from Dalkeith }

I must have shots from Glasto 83 but I have still to track them down.

see image { map is 83} - note there was no extra barrier for security { in fact I am not even sure if the stage had security } - people did climb up on the stage - shame it burnt down.They had a small bar under the stage { and I do mean under it }

No fancy screens but seeing there was only 30,000 tickets ' at £12 a ticket { I kid you not - in fact I must still have that ticket - you could buy a ticket on the gate for £14  { I think the council stopped it so in later years it was advance ticket only }} even if everyone showed up it was no major problem - 

83 was the first year of Radio Avalon

and best of all was Melanie on the Saturday

I reckon it was sunny that year and so was 84 so when we had the mud bath in 85 none of us were expecting it { that was the year most of my friends stopped going as it was murder }

Glas83map.jpg

worker5555.jpg

Linked from the comments on an article I was reading today on an online national newspaper, I stumbled upon this site that has a number of old images of Glasto's 2000 - 2005 that might be of interest.

http://www.gorge.org/images/#festivals

Apart from a fixation on high voltage electricity pylons, the person appears to traditionally have been affiliated with the old ToS and VF boards, so apologies in advance if this reference infringes any policies concerning mentioning these resources on here (I noticed a few avatar names in there from many years ago that may have posted here once).

The site and performance pictures bought back some good memories however.

• Upvote 1

"no guest bar - no fancy restaurant - no BBC area - no Press area and no fancy toilets"

​And I bet the atmosphere was all the better for it.

well its a strange atmosphere I will give you that - I did ask  Michael Eavis if he was happy with the Guest bar as its far smaller than the one in use at Reading - his answer was a surprise - he said something like ' we don't want to make it so plush as the buggers will never leave ' - since 1989 I have seen the backstage compound change a bloody lot - gone is most of the camping - I rarely stayed to have a drink so the only real benefit is the short cut to the Other Stage.

Yeah, never been backstage there but I hear its at bit soulless now. In contrast to the Beautiful Days backstage area and crew bar (which I think is run by the Pussy Parlure people at Glasto - "The Parlure Lounge" I think it was called - have a funny feeling I also saw it there this year sort of behind the main stage in Silver Hayes, through the wall), which was really lively and great fun this year.

I wonder whether ME meant "so plush the buggers will never leave" in the context of the whole festival or just the compound....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Linked from the comments on an article I was reading today on an online national newspaper, I stumbled upon this site that has a number of old images of Glasto's 2000 - 2005 that might be of interest.

http://www.gorge.org/images/#festivals

Apart from a fixation on high voltage electricity pylons, the person appears to traditionally have been affiliated with the old ToS and VF boards, so apologies in advance if this reference infringes any policies concerning mentioning these resources on here (I noticed a few avatar names in there from many years ago that may have posted here once).

The site and performance pictures bought back some good memories however.

The gorge site is owned by Flash Barlow. She was a Moderator on the old official boards and was AKA Vampthing.

No but there is some years it cant be  

79 - wrong type of stage
81 - that was the year the CND sign fell off 
82 - Speaker stacks did not have the orange cover  
83 - Speaker stacks did not have the orange cover
84 - Speaker stacks did not have the orange cover
85 - That was the first year of the MUD - it was everywhere and there is now way would I risk a semi pro camera {  Nikon F2 } to take some shots
89 - for sure it was Not that year as I working that year  

so highly Unlikely it was 85 so either 86 or 87

there is no dates on the negative  .

here is a shot from the same negative - look over to the left - those fields were not in use before 84/85

work55er5.jpg

It s not 86  - I cant work out how to post a photo on here but my 86 ones are on the Glastonbury site gallery  - the sides weren't orange. It actually looks earlier by the look of some of the cars ??

It s not 86  - I cant work out how to post a photo on here but my 86 ones are on the Glastonbury site gallery  - the sides weren't orange. It actually looks earlier by the look of some of the cars ??

I cant say for sure because that was before a date stamped could be saved on a image - but on the same negative there is a friend and he is  searching though his negatives as he was also a keen photographer but they are in B/W so not as easy but he does have them stored in date order - we will get to the bottom of the mystery.

these two are interesting as I know I would only go into the Hari Krishna tent if it was dead wet but I cant recall ending up there later than the middle 90's { so late 80's early 90's } that stage looks that it has a banner hanging from it.It looks far younger than the other stage image 

what got me about that Hari Krishna tent was the guy holding up the words { they do that song for about 40 minutes }

I need a big warehouse so that I can sort though the paper photos - there is so many of them - far easier with digital film

all we know for sure it had to have been taken before 1994.

now which year I cant say for certain.

Scan2-6.jpg

amazing pics glasto-worker