Green Man 2010

5co77ie

Green Man 2010 tickets will go on general sale on Tuesday December 15th.

Plus a special announcement next week - the first headlining act

a (very tiny) clue from the festival organisers is

they’re one of the best bands in the world ever, they’ve never played Green Man before and we’re literally going out of our minds with excitement!

any ideas?

not much of a clue

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's similar to The Big Chill but less obsessed with being cool.

Went last year when the weather was sunny all week so my view is a little skewed.

Beautiful settings in the fold of the Welsh hills in a country estate by the river. Setting tbh is in a similar vein to The Big Chill. It's a small festival but very well ran with lots of space and other than the main interesection has a very 'uncrowded' feeling to it. They have taken the better food outlets that you will find at Glasto (Goan Fish Curry stall/Grande Bouffet etc) and left the generic burger/noodle stalls out which is a good thing. The draught beers and ciders are very good (Glastonberry Cider Mmm) although you need to figure out which bars do the ones you like which I think also adds a little to the experience rather than every bar selling the same.

Main Stage has the most beautiful mountain backdrop and is set at the bottom of a series of terraced lawns which means you can get a cracking view even if you don't want to mingle with the masses front stage centre. There are a couple of other smaller stages in tents of the standard stripey, seen at Glasto variety. Sound quality was excellent. It is also very family friendly with lots of small kids around (usually found rolling down the slope between terraces). Lots of drunk or merry people come the end of the evening but didn't see a single bit of loutish or leery behaviour.

Downsides - Not many really, maybe could do with a few more easy to get to loos closer to the main stage. Nearest are a 5 minute walk through the courtyards and the intersection there gets very busy. That's just being picky and trying to find something to put here though.

There are showers which were hot and welcome, although there's a fair queue for them first thing but that's to be expected.

All in all it had a very laid back feel about the festival with lots of nods and smiles going on. It is very much aimed at the family so you won't be seeing too many teenagers unless accompanied by parents, certainly didn't see any large groups of young uns tearing the place up as they do at some of the bigger festivals*. I also didn't feel completely ripped off like at some of the more commercial festivals. Oh it also seemed to be kept very clean and tidy for the most part too.

(*Not that I have anything against teens tearing the place up, I mean Reading/Leeds is pretty much designed with that in mind. Just stating it is absent at this festival.)

Musically it has grown out of a folk type festival and still holds it's roots there. Last year was Animal collective, Jarvis Cocker, Hawkwind amongst almost classical and downright folky type stuff. More watchable beautiful (dare I say intellectual) music than in your face get out of it music if you get my drift.

There is a comedy stage, I only visited briefly, but it's there.

Edited - Cut out some guff.

We will be back this year provided there are still tickets left at the end of Feb, because I can't afford them until then. I have been to Glasto, V festival, Reading, Leeds, Big Chill, others I don't recall off the top of my head but this years Green Man was one of my favourite festivals. If I was to design my own festival then it wouldn't be too far from the design of this one.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong

• 2 weeks later...

Well said _Oblong>> The festival seems to get better and better from what I hear whilst still holding on to an independant vibe. There are no day tickts available as far as i know, which I think adds to the feeling of it. When day tickets are available, festivals seem to lose a bit of that hippy togetherness that i love. if a load of people just come for a day to see one of the headliners and plant their fold up chairs in front of the main stage, it takes something away from the festival- kinda making it a concert. that's been one of the problems from big chill in the last few of years.......

Anyway i'll be back for sure THIS year. Lovely festival with beautiful surroundings, great people and superb music.

I normally do three fests each summer - Glastonbury, where I take my sensible head off for the week, and two others where I steward - The Trowbridge Village Pump Festival and the Cambridge Rock festival.

However there is uncertainty over the future of the CRF this year and I'm wondering about offering to steward at The Green Man instead.

Over the years with stewarding experience I've risen to be one of the Duty Managers at Trowbridge but this year I may have problems as my daughter is getting hitched on the Saturday of the fest.

So, does anyone have experience of stewarding at the Green Man or thoughts they could offer?

Well said _Oblong>> The festival seems to get better and better from what I hear whilst still holding on to an independant vibe. There are no day tickts available as far as i know, which I think adds to the feeling of it. When day tickets are available, festivals seem to lose a bit of that hippy togetherness that i love. if a load of people just come for a day to see one of the headliners and plant their fold up chairs in front of the main stage, it takes something away from the festival- kinda making it a concert. that's been one of the problems from big chill in the last few of years.......

Anyway i'll be back for sure THIS year. Lovely festival with beautiful surroundings, great people and superb music.

Thanks for the reply

*folds up chair*

*buggers off*

I second every thing else that is said about the greenman festival. I have worked at the Bigchill, Greenman and Glastonbury and the greenman is the most relaxed on of the 3. glasto is glasto and will always be the best. The bigchill is very laid back, but there are to many people off their heads!!! but the greenman is a festival were you can still enjoy yourseleves but not have any hassle. the location is another big plus point for it.Hope you all enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this year's festival is shaping up nicely with flaming lips, beirut, field music & billy bragg announced so far.. I'm also looking forward to seeing what smaller acts are added to the pub stage, chai stage and solar stage. It was great wondering from each area last year seeing so many artists i hadn't heard of before but loved after!>>

Has anybody heard when the next announcement will be?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's utterly brilliant. It may only be March but if there's a better album this year then it will be mighty good. Saw FM last week and they are at the top of their game, really looking forward to seeing them at GM, hope they get one of the longer sets.