Boxing

Cardboard Box City

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Quite looking forward to this, will be watching a stream of it later.

Thoughts?

I'm no boxing aficionado, much prefer MMA these days, but its a pretty damn big fight. 4 belts on the line, and Fury has been entertaining so far with his shit talk. I just hope he can back it up in the ring. Never liked him over his comments on Cain Valasquez (Heavyweight MMA Champ at the time) but will be rooting for him tonight anyway.

Great info and accurate times etc over here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/12019241/What-time-is-Wladimir-Klitschko-vs-Tyson-Fury-what-TV-channel-where-will-fight-be-won-and-lost.html

It's big because they're heavyweights but that's about it. Fury has beaten no one in his career and Klitschko hasn't beaten anyone of note for years. There's been a dearth of decent heavyweights for a long time - I just hope that Wilder and Joshua can live up to the expectation and make the division exciting again. 

fair play to Fury, he did what he said he would do - maybe this is the breath of fresh air that the heavyweight division needed to become relevant again.

Klitschko had possibly made the division stagnant from the domination for 9 years but now it has the chance to become exciting - there are a few up and coming fighters who could really put into the mix in the next few years.

De Gale won again, although Bute is possibly on his way down after doing so well for so long. He dominated but really didn't fully convert which he should have tried to do - at least this time he managed to do the 12 rounds without struggling near the end. Bute is still a good fighter but with as many losses in as many fights might be thinking his time is up.

4 World champs though, not bad to be honest as in the last few years there has been the odd world champion at different points

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/13/2015 at 0:08 PM, lharris92 said:

good to see Joshua get an actual fight going, 7th round. he got hit hard earlier although was dominating bar that round he got shaken. solid performance though

Fighting for the IBF belt on April 9th against Charles Martin. 6 ft 5, 24-0, 21 KOs, Should be good. Too soon for AJ?

And it turns out Manny is a bible waving twat.

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Martin has only ever fought bums. 

So has AJ. Same for all boxers with under 25 odd fights usually. Both fairly early in their career, especially AJ. Will be interesting to see how he copes with someone who has 9 more fights that him. If Martin is any good that is!

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think AJ wins this one, the division has been calling out for someone like him for years.

Theres a few now. Ortiz, Wilder, Fury, AJ, Martin. All unbeaten. All do knockouts.

Very early for AJ to be going for a title though. 15 fights, still a rookie. Hope he wins though!

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Theres a few now. Ortiz, Wilder, Fury, AJ, Martin. All unbeaten. All do knockouts.

Very early for AJ to be going for a title though. 15 fights, still a rookie. Hope he wins though!

I think there is a danger that you wait for the right time and you wait too long. If these were the Lewis, Holyfield days then I would agree it's too early. However the difference between the middling and top of the division isn't big enough to merit waiting in my view. If not Martin then who?

Joshua has the look and charisma which means if he missed this opportunity, others would come.

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So has AJ. Same for all boxers with under 25 odd fights usually. Both fairly early in their career, especially AJ. Will be interesting to see how he copes with someone who has 9 more fights that him. If Martin is any good that is!

I agree. However, Whyte and (an albeit pass it) Johnson are better than anything Martin has fought. 

Yes in theory it's early for a title shot but this is the IBF title that's not worth a w*nk. 

I think it's likely the only reason Martin has agreed to the fight, and the fact he's agreed to it in London is because it's a bigger payday than all of his previous fights combined and he doesn't believe he'll get another shot at it. 

Been wrong before mind! 

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think there is a danger that you wait for the right time and you wait too long. If these were the Lewis, Holyfield days then I would agree it's too early. However the difference between the middling and top of the division isn't big enough to merit waiting in my view. If not Martin then who?

Joshua has the look and charisma which means if he missed this opportunity, others would come.

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I agree. However, Whyte and (an albeit pass it) Johnson are better than anything Martin has fought. 

Yes in theory it's early for a title shot but this is the IBF title that's not worth a w*nk. 

I think it's likely the only reason Martin has agreed to the fight, and the fact he's agreed to it in London is because it's a bigger payday than all of his previous fights combined and he doesn't believe he'll get another shot at it. 

Been wrong before mind! 

Agree with both of you, and there isn't enough quality in depth for AJ to skim around the division. Hes an exciting fighter but losing now would be a huge blow. 15-1 doesn't exactly have a ring to it!

14 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I think you can ignore Martin's knockouts. Fury hasn't managed to knock out anyone of note. Wilder I'll give you, but again the quality of his opponents are questionable. Let's see if he continues to knock people out when he goes up a level. 

Ortiz I'm quite excited about 

17 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Looking forward to Framptin/Quigg.

Yes and Gavin McConnell has an important fight on the undercard - a title shot not far away for him potentially. 

Also Miles Shinkwin is a mate of a mate so am very interested in seeing him go up against Fury's cousin.